Buying a 6.0 Saturday, parts list?

powerSmokin

Reaction score
Well I can't afford a 6.4 due to me not wanting to pull a loan out for one. Instead I'm buying a 2003 6.0 with less than 100k miles on it. Oasis history shows minor issues, the biggest being turbo, bed plate, rear main seal and egr replacement in 07. The truck is bone stock and the guy used it for towing his trailer. I'm not going crazy with the truck, keeping it 450ish hp. So far my list is

Egr delete
Head studs
SCT tuner
Atlas 40 FICM tune
Coolant filter
5" turbo back
T500
Possibly oil cooler?

Anything else that's recommended for reliability? Seems to be the most essential things to do as much as I have researched. Any fuel or oil additives?

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Looks like a pretty good plan. Why the T500 though? Don't forget gauges... Edge CTS is pretty much a must in a 6.0. Let me know if I can help you source anything you might need for it! You will love the 6 Leaker!

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
:whs:

The AP kit, and a set of small injectors and a modded vgt from barder or the like will get you up over your 450hp goal quite easily and reliably.

powerSmokin

Reaction score
I am throwing the T500 in for larger injectors down the road and reliability. Well for gauges won't the SCT 7015 give me the displays on what I need?

Nic

Reaction score
Dont over look the little things too. Make sure it has the updated spring kit on the fuel bowl housing and make sure the degas cap is up to date (the big spring). If you aren't going to do aftermarket boots, take the ones off there now, clean them, flush the CAC and re-route the CCV. Sorry if you know all of this but I just read the title and aren't sure if you are familiar with the little things that help. If you're doing it yourself, it wouldn't hurt to clean the intake mani out real good.

As far as additives go, the only additive worth it would be some sort of oil additive to help with stiction of the spool valves in the injectors.If you keep good fuel and oil in it and drive it regularly, you shouldn't have an issue with that. IMO, the problems associated with stiction is letting the truck sit and not changing the oil regularly. I personally believe that with a tuned 6.0, you should change the oil every 2500-3k miles. The oil gets worked alot harder in a HEUI that a CR. If you really want to get the most out of it and go an extra step you could do an oil bypass and still change it every 3k miles. Good luck with the truck :fordoval:

powerSmokin

Reaction score
Dont over look the little things too. Make sure it has the updated spring kit on the fuel bowl housing and make sure the degas cap is up to date (the big spring). If you aren't going to do aftermarket boots, take the ones off there now, clean them, flush the CAC and re-route the CCV. Sorry if you know all of this but I just read the title and aren't sure if you are familiar with the little things that help. If you're doing it yourself, it wouldn't hurt to clean the intake mani out real good.

As far as additives go, the only additive worth it would be some sort of oil additive to help with stiction of the spool valves in the injectors.If you keep good fuel and oil in it and drive it regularly, you shouldn't have an issue with that. IMO, the problems associated with stiction is letting the truck sit and not changing the oil regularly. I personally believe that with a tuned 6.0, you should change the oil every 2500-3k miles. The oil gets worked alot harder in a HEUI that a CR. If you really want to get the most out of it and go an extra step you could do an oil bypass and still change it every 3k miles. Good luck with the truck :fordoval:

6.0's are very new to me so any info is appreciated. I will do the blue spring along with the rest of the the reccomendations.

Nic

Reaction score
For that route, you will need a basic SCT SF3 or X3. You can find them cheap. Then just get the CTS for an outlook. Load the tunes through the SCT and put it in the glove box or wherever and the CTS will keep you updated on the vitals. I have the CTS also and love it. I tune my 6.4 with a livewire and it goes back in the center console.

You were also saying 'SCT tunes' which brings up another point. Most here that have an SCT aren't using the preloads. It's used mainly as just a transfer device for custom tunes through tuning companies like Innovative diesel, Gearhead Auto, Vivian, Truck Source Diesel and a few others. I would recommend looking into custom tunes for your rig.

Last edited:

powerSmokin

Reaction score
For that route, you will need a basic SCT SF3 or X3. You can find them cheap. Then just get the CTS for an outlook. Load the tunes through the SCT and put it in the glove box or wherever and the CTS will keep you updated on the vitals. I have the CTS also and love it. I tune my 6.4 with a livewire and it goes back in the center console.

You were also saying 'SCT tunes' which brings up another point. Most here that have an SCT aren't using the preloads. It's used mainly as just a transfer device for custom tunes through tuning companies like Innovative diesel, Gearhead Auto, Vivian, Truck Source Diesel and a few others. I would recommend looking into custom tunes for your rig.

I may go that route, I just can't believe how expensive the edge monitors are compared to the SCT I was looking at, that came with tunes! Studs will go in before the tuner does, I will just put on the Atlas 40 tune on when I go to the Alligator Diesel Dyno next month.

Nic

Reaction score
Everything for diesels is expensive LOL. FICM tunes are awesome for the 6.0. 58V FICMs with tuning is even better :redspotdance:

Strokin89

Reaction score

X2 For custom tuning! I ran the canned sct tunes for a little while then got my custom tune from Truck Source Diesel. I got the Super Panty Dropper tune and it was a night and day difference I highly recommend custom tuning. I plan to try innovative and gearhead too.

2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke, 6 speed manual, egr delete, arp head studs, new oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, custom intake, 4" down pipe into dual 6" stacks, 8" lift, TSD super panty dropper tune.

powerSmokin

Reaction score
I will eventually try Vivian's tunes, I have heard nothing but good things. I have seen a few trucks run them and they run like a raped ape!

04 f350

Reaction score
I will eventually try Vivian's tunes, I have heard nothing but good things. I have seen a few trucks run them and they run like a raped ape!

Nothing runs like a raped ape unless its the actual "raped ape" tune that BRP has. So if you really want a raped ape tune you need to get up with Drew.