02 Wont start when hot.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Is there not a safety kill on oil pressure? Of the lpop was keeping the resivour full (barely) but not putting up any pressure, then would the truck not let it start?

Tom S

Reaction score
You need to a means to watch the ICP without a doubt. It is so easy to go by a hydraulic shop and fab up something for a reasonable price. -5 O-ring boss out to your gauge with a hose in the middle.

I was just out in my truck and watched the oil pressure gauge. Mine is done as an add on sensor to my scan guage so there is a little delay. No oil pressure indication during cranking and it took a bit (maybe 2 seconds) after it hit to start coming up. The sensor is in the filter housing. The idle oil pressure with 185 deg oil was 26psi.

Tom S

Reaction score
I would be willing to loan mine out if you just cannot fab one up. I can also take a photo for your reference.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
I'll get it on a scanner soon, my question is this, when cranking shouldn't my srp1 be drawing out oil from the resi pretty quickly? I'm thinking this has to be a pump issue because the stocker never did this, and I started having this problem lierally the day we put the pump in. Could the drive gear bolt not be quite tight enough? Maybe when it heats up and the metal expands theres some slop in the shaft or something...I'm just throwing stuff out here.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Cool. Make sure that you are seeing more than 500 psi on icp pressure while trying to start. And let us know what you find.

When I first had this problem in May, the day after pump install, I put it on the scanner...you could watch icp rise slowly from 200 all the way up to 500 and then it would fire. We thought it was rising slowly because it had air in the lines or something like that..obviously its doing the same thing and now is even worse.

Since chris' truck is down I pulled the ipr solenoid off it and slapped it on mine, still no change, I'm thinking its not an ipr issue just from the sheer amount of them that I've put in the last two months.

Tom S

Reaction score
When I first had this problem in May, the day after pump install, I put it on the scanner...you could watch icp rise slowly from 200 all the way up to 500 and then it would fire. We thought it was rising slowly because it had air in the lines or something like that..obviously its doing the same thing and now is even worse.

Since chris' truck is down I pulled the ipr solenoid off it and slapped it on mine, still no change, I'm thinking its not an ipr issue just from the sheer amount of them that I've put in the last two months.

I helped a neighbor with a truck exactly like this. If the oil was cooler it would slowly build up enough pressure and then it would start. Bottom line after a lot of diagnosis was bad pump. The guy had bad luck, original factory pump spit the guts out the back. The second pump was this one and the issues started when it died at a red light. New pump and the truck ran fine.

The Ford HPOP guide is the the library.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
I helped a neighbor with a truck exactly like this. If the oil was cooler it would slowly build up enough pressure and then it would start. Bottom line after a lot of diagnosis was bad pump. The guy had bad luck, original factory pump spit the guts out the back. The second pump was this one and the issues started when it died at a red light. New pump and the truck ran fine.

The Ford HPOP guide is the the library.

So you're thinking possibly bad hpop? I think I'll try and get in touch with Gary tomorrow and see what he thinks. I'm just sure it has to be the pump because that's the only thing that changed when it started.

Tom S

Reaction score
Not sure it is the pump but I would be going back to what was changed when the issue started rather then the LPOP suddenly went bad. You are using fresh IPR orings correct?

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Well when we put it in, I used a a dieselsite ipr core to make sure I had no crap in anything that went in. When I pulled it out all the orings looked brand new, not cut or worn, just like when I installed it, same with the ipr I put in yesterday. I only have one more set of orings so I don't want to use them unless I'm sure it will be the last time I have the ipr out.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Ok I know its been a while but we got a SnapOn scanner and took some vids. First is with engine cooled off after about 5hrs.
th_2011-08-17_22-33-13_345.jpg

Second video shows icon and ips on a full throttle run. As y'all can see it ain't right. I peak out just over 1856 and 86 percent. Not good at all.
th_2011-08-17_22-39-58_970.jpg

Finally trying to hot start. You can see it barely gets to 400psi.
th_2011-08-17_22-43-25_588.jpg

Last edited:

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Yep. We are waiting for it to cool and the pump is coming out to get sent to Gary. I'm interested to see what he says was wrong with it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.