04 shifting issues.

shmoozer

Reaction score
Took the truck out to get some food the other night after work. While I was out I decided that it would be a good time to swing thru the parts house and snag a couple of new batteries. Installed them in the parking lot, fire the truck up and head on my way home.
About 2 blocks down the road truck starts sort hunting for gears and has a small shift flare from 1-2 and 2-3. Pull over and pull codes with my CTS2. I get the P0603 code, but I attribute that to me having batteries unhooked. The next codes I have are P0766, P0767, and P2703. Clear them, shut the truck off turn it back on and pretty much the same thing. Small shift flares and hunting for gears. Manage to limp it to the house. A little research here and elsewhere on the web lead me to believe that it could be the direct drive solenoid. Go to local dealer and pick a solenoid, new fluid and a filter up.
Drained fluid and it doesn't look bad. Still quite red, a little dark but not bad by any means and wasn't burnt. Drop the pan and aside from a little bit of clutch material that had gathered by drain plug the pan is spotless and clean. Put new solenoid in, make sure all connections are good and fill it back up. Test drive and it's even worse.
Truck feels like it's stuck in 4th Tow/Haul flashes. If I try and shift it manually I have nothing 1-3. Has reverse, and when I do manage to get the truck to move forward it feels like someone has got the brakes on the entire time. Can someone please give me some insight into something that I seem to be missing? Truck had been driving fine clean up until this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Does this sometimes as well, except for throwing codes, when i disconnect and reconnect the batteries. Take it through a relearn process, and it should be good to go.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Did you have both batteries disconnected at once? This would clear the memory and that will cause shift issues until the PCM relearns. That's normal.

As for what went wrong when you changed the solenoid, I don't know.

Latest posts

Members online