05 6.0 newb. dead on the side of road

hard2want6slo

Reaction score
hi guys. been having issues with my recently purchased 05 f250 and a buddy told me this was the forum to go too. hope somebody can help me out.

bought/traded for the truck in early january.

the first pic below has the craigslist ad with list of mods done. supposed to be "bulletproofed"

i drove the truck for a month without issues. was planning a road trip and decided to test it out with a 5.5 hour trip to texas for my company meeting. made it there. on my way to bosses house for dinner, i turn a corner and truck slowly loses power over 1/8th mile stretch and despite throttle position she dies on the side of the road. i attempted to turn it over, after a dozen cycles it fired up but ran horrible and after 12 seconds of playing with the throttle it dies again. tried to start again but within 10 cycles the batteries are acting dead. my first instinct was batteries or alternator. replaced both of them and no start. diesel shop pics it up on a flatbed and proceeds to work on it over the next 2 days. after bunch of troubleshooting and $1300 later it turns out to be a loose connector to FICM. see 3rd pic below for the mechanics report.

drove the truck back home without issue and ive been driving it for the last month without problems. today i took it to town and when i was heading home it did it again, slowly lost power over 1/2 mile and dies, so i coast it to edge of road and made some calls. the truck sat for 5 mins and i popped hood, wiggled wires on connections on the passenger side, and it fired up. i closed hood and made it 6 miles before it did it again. this time i got out and wiggled wires, tried to start again and gave me the dead battery thing. waited with the hood up for 5 mins and tried again and sure enough after 3 dieing cranks it fired up like nothing was wrong. drove it another 4-5 miles and it started doing it again. i pulled off the edge of road before it could die and just let it idle, it was super choppy and rough. after 10-20 seconds i shifted it into park and within 5 seconds it cleared up and started running normal. i let it sit there and idle for 2-3mins and made a run for my road to get off the highway. i accelerated hard and pinned the throttle, truck wouldnt go over 50 or go past ~2700rpms. pulled onto my road and it died again. let it sit for 5 started it, and made it to the front gate just easing along doing ~20mph. it got iffy just before i stopped and put it in park to unlock the gate but it didnt die. drove it easy about 1.2 miles to the front door and shut it off. cel isnt on so i havnt checked for codes. anbody have a similar issue or have ideas. i bought this thing specifically because my jeep wasnt super dependable and i just wanted peace of mind if i decide to make the 1500 mile trip back home with it. thats out of the question right now...

i asked chad at double g performance (bulletproofed the truck before i bought it) to think about it. im currently outside of ada, ok so if anybody knows of a decent shop around oklahoma that will work with me i'd appreciate it. im on a limited budget with little savings so i'd like to avoid the stealership at all costs

thanks guys and happy spoolin

-Cody

Attachments

• IMG_6016.jpg
    IMG_6016.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6013.jpg
    IMG_6013.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6803.jpg
    IMG_6803.jpg
    799.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

webb06

Reaction score
There are quite a few things it could be. I would start by checking the FICM connections again. And then you'll need to get a computer on it to see what icp, ipr%, and FICM voltages look like. You might remove the secondary fuel filter and cycle the key to make sure you're getting fuel pressure up there.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
only shop i know remotely close to you would be matt@cutting edge diesel. Im going to guess its either the hpop or ficm..... sounds like exactly what mine did when the hpop gave out

hard2want6slo

Reaction score
copy that. this may seem stupid, im from upstate NY so fuel gelling is a common issue, when i lived there everybody treated there fuel whether it was pre-cut or not. i live in OK now, i highly doubt fuel is cut or treated atthe pump. today got pretty cold, 14* degrees to be exact without wind. what temp do i have to worry about untreated fuel gelling up. i thought about it for a bit but i assumed if it gelled that would be the end of truck running and not this stop go action im getting.

hard2want6slo

Reaction score
tried to start her this am and it wouldnt even turn over. plugged my sct in and got a assload of codes

P0275 : cylinder 5 contribution balance
P0304 : cylinder 4 misfire
P0305 : cylinder 5 misfire
P0341 : camshaft position sensor A circuit Range performance (bank 1 or single sensor)
P0460 : fuel level sensor A circuit
P0463 : fuel level sensor A circuit high
P1000 : OBD systems readiness test not complete
U0306 : software incompatibility with FICM

gunna start searching now but feel free to jump in with any info

sootie

Reaction score
if screwing with the ficm connectors altered what it was doing, i would start with the ficm and ohm out all the pins on the rest of the harness.

hard2want6slo

Reaction score
so i charged batteries over night and started it the next morning. drove it over to my shop about .25 miles away pulled it inside and shut her down. check engine light was still on, i plugged it in and it was only throwing the p0460 for the fuel sensor. i didnt clear the other codes and batteries werent completely dead so i dont know where they went. i checked FICM and got a good 47.8 with key on, not started and also started. FICM is good. now that i know where the ficm is located, i dont think i was wiggling any wires that anything to do with it way over on pass side.

so cold snap with electrical issues, and now that its warm its starting fine. im going to try and drive it to town and see how she does. also noticed batt terminals are a little corroded. im going to clean those up real well before irun to town. anybody think ****ty batteries in the cold weather coulda done it? or have some other known electrical issue to check on

Rob D

Reaction score
****ty batteries will kill your FICM either way so you should replace them for sure even if they are not the cause...also $360 bucks for an injector is very expensive.

Last edited:

hard2want6slo

Reaction score
drove truck 60 miles today, stop and go, shut it off a few times. runs fine, like a raped ape, no codes except the fuel level sensor. idk, i guess im going to treat it like it gelled up and forget it until it happens again. mechanic said these trucks do weird stuff like that when its hot but the fact it did it on coldest day of the year he figures it might have been bad fuel. im going to swap out oil filters and run it.

if it happens again i will be sure to visit this thread and update. i hate how so many threads are left open ended.

thanks guys

Vengeance

Reaction score
For future info on a someone to work on the truck, call Charles Allen Ford in Chickasha and ask for Jon.

jdeeg4276

Reaction score
Have you had any of the upgrade s verified by a power stroke mechanic. Might be a great idea. Also check heights on oil filter cap. Just an idea.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online