05 F250 Auto Transmission issues

shelton15

Reaction score
i have an 05 f 250 and the 5r110 auto trans. the original trans went out at 74000 miles so i bought another used trans (suppose to be in good working condition). the new trans was completely flushed of any debris, installed, and was filled with all new trans fluid. i then took it for a test drive and after a few miles it threw code P0756 (solenoid B performance or stuck off), the tow/haul light was flashing, and it wont shift into overdrive so i replaced the solenoid and put all new fluid in it again and im still having the same problems. :fustrate: any help would be much appreciated.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The code means the solenoid is mechanically stuck. When the PCM commands the solenoid on the armature doesn't move. Either the new solenoid is also stuck or you replaced the wrong solenoid.

sizeimage.php

shelton15

Reaction score
my guess is that solenoid is bad also. do you have any idea what would make the tow/haul light flash

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
A bad solenoid is the ONLY thing that can set that code. When a code sets the tow/haul light flashes to tell you there is one or more codes stored.

shelton15

Reaction score
i tested both solenoids and they tested good but still throws the code. what now?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
How did you test them? I can tell from here that an ohm check will show that both are good. The code that set shows that the armature is stuck, not that the electrical part is open.

Unless you are watching for the solenoid armature to move when commanded you are not doing a test that means anything.

You have a bad solenoid. Maybe two.

shelton15

Reaction score
i first tested ohms then i connected it to a battery and watched the armature move

range91

Reaction score
A performance code can also be electrical I have seen it before. The computer is only looking at resistance to throw electrical codes. You could have a wire in the b solenoid circuit that can't carry the amperage to activate the solenoid properly causing a performance code. What codes would set in the first trans u pulled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The computer is looking for an inductive kick when the armature moves. The solenoid performance code does not look at resistance. An open or shorted circuit will set an electrical code, not a performance code.

range91

Reaction score
The computer is looking for an inductive kick when the armature moves. The solenoid performance code does not look at resistance. An open or shorted circuit will set an electrical code, not a performance code.

Trust me I have seen it before where a wire that is highly corroded have good resistance but cannot carry the amperage to activate the solenoid especially on a linear solenoid like these are it takes a fair amount of amperage compared to your basic on/off type solenoid. An electrical related problem CAN cause a performance code personal experience.

shelton15

Reaction score
A performance code can also be electrical I have seen it before. The computer is only looking at resistance to throw electrical codes. You could have a wire in the b solenoid circuit that can't carry the amperage to activate the solenoid properly causing a performance code. What codes would set in the first trans u pulled?

the first trans is COMPLETELY shot. what do you suggest i change now? the wires going to the B solenoid?

Last edited:

range91

Reaction score
If you have already changed the b solenoid you need to look at the electrical integrity of the circuit. Did you replace the cooler?

range91

Reaction score
I can't figure out how to get a old thread to post here but search p0756 findings. I wrote my findings couple years ago this is a possibility as well.

shelton15

Reaction score
If you have already changed the b solenoid you need to look at the electrical integrity of the circuit. Did you replace the cooler?

im going to check the wiring next and no i have not changed the cooler. i found that post you are talking about the other day. this might sound stupid but what was the part in that picture? this is the first time ive ever tried to work on a transmission.

range91

Reaction score
That is the pump which on the back of that is the overdrive piston which applies the od clutch. No stupid questions just the ones that aren't asked.

sootie

Reaction score
i have a 108k mile trans that functioned fine when pulled out of a truck that rolled if you want it. 850.00 shipped with convertor.

shelton15

Reaction score
That is the pump which on the back of that is the overdrive piston which applies the od clutch. No stupid questions just the ones that aren't asked.

oh ok thanks for the help. im going to pull the old trans apart first just to learn how it all goes together and then pull the new one out of the truck and go through it

shelton15

Reaction score
i have a 108k mile trans that functioned fine when pulled out of a truck that rolled if you want it. 850.00 shipped with convertor.

thanks but im going to try to fix this one since i know a few things to look for now and if i still don't have luck im going to send it to a friends shop

Latest posts

Members online