05 headlight and grille conversion

Mulletman

Reaction score
I've always wanted to do a whole 05 front end swap but right now I don't have the money and also look to repaint my truck someday so I don't want a bumper I'd need to paint right now. But my headlights are oxidized and leak quite a bit so I'm looking to get some new ones for now and would like to do the 05 conversion also I'd like to get the grill out of the way at the same time. So my question is will the new grille work with the old style bumper? Also will I need a 05 header panel to do the headlights and grille? Lastly could someone give me a link to the best head light kit I know you need some pigtails to make them work and I don't trust the eBay crap.

046.ohBills

Reaction score
I did the 07 headlight swap into my 04 and all i had to do was some cutting out of the fibeglass behind the old headlight and it fit perfectly. the grill on the other hand im not sure about. heres a link to the headlights i picked up and they came with instructions and pigtails.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380471002794

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
You can cut the header panel to fix the 05 lights. You will have to cut the 05 grill to fit the earlier style bumper. I would just get the headlights and cut the header panel to make them work.

Then when you have the money, you can replace the header panel, grill, and bumper pieces needed to complete the 05 swap.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I've got the 05 headlights and grill with my 01 bumper. I had to drill new holes to fit and there is a gap under the headlights. Before my front end got smashed I had it all brand new. But I don't care for 05-07 bumper and the grill imo looks goofy cut down. I had planned on cutting out some Sheetmetal and put some LEDs under the lights but just haven't had the time. I want to put an 11-16 bumper on with the 06 grill. I'm pretty sure it will line up. It's a little work to get the lights to fit right but it's done. Lot easier with header panel.

Mulletman

Reaction score
Okay thanks guys. I want the Harley headlights but I was wondering if I should get them off of eBay or some other site I don't want them to leak like mine do now.

s10mike

Reaction score
i got a grill already cut down from sinister diesel. fits like a glove with my 03 bumper. also got 07 headlights from 1A auto. nice pieces. you can see them in my avatar

TyCorr

Reaction score
I ran oem ford headlights with a 99-04 frontend. I didnt have any weird gaps or fitment issues. You just literally cut everywhere besides the mounting points to fit the 05-07 lights on the 99-04 header panel. And you'll need a conversion pigtail for the headlights to work.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Okay thanks guys. I want the Harley headlights but I was wondering if I should get them off of eBay or some other site I don't want them to leak like mine do now.

Ha ha...if quality is a concern, get oem.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I bought eBay ones and haven't had an issue. No leaking. No fogging. Nothing. Still running the same bulbs that they came with in them. About 3 years old now.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I bought eBay ones and haven't had an issue. No leaking. No fogging. Nothing. Still running the same bulbs that they came with in them. About 3 years old now.

I know everybody buys that crap. But theres a reason peoole say to stick with oem. There's a reason light builders won't build you hid's out of ebay lights. Because they're cheap pieces of shti.

Ive removed headlights that were "fine" only to find the rear of the housing is distorted and actually from melting.

For a long term purchase, you have to be a fool to skimp on headlights. Just my .02 but Ive had four different front ends on my 1st gen.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I know everybody buys that crap. But theres a reason peoole say to stick with oem. There's a reason light builders won't build you hid's out of ebay lights. Because they're cheap pieces of shti.

Ive removed headlights that were "fine" only to find the rear of the housing is distorted and actually from melting.

For a long term purchase, you have to be a fool to skimp on headlights. Just my .02 but Ive had four different front ends on my 1st gen.

If I ever build a set then I'll go oem. I hit a small tree and didn't report it to insurance because I didn't want to pay my deductible since the damage is less than the deductible. My father actually bought them as a gift for me since one of mine that I had was smashed from the tree.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Do what thou wilt.....

Having done a half dozen 07 front end conversions as much ford stuff as possible. Header panels from ford. If you wanna buy aftermarket grill and paint able bumper fine. The pad though needs to be correct. Ive had an ebay pad be 3/4 of an inch short from the ends of the bumper.

Again, if you havent done one, all the heat in the world wont help you on fitment if its not close.

There are a set of harley lights that have clear reflectors that i prefer to the oem's. But they aren't cheap either.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Nice...i want to paint mine but to do that you have to run projrctors and my understanding is pwoole are trying to get away from them because you have to turn them on before you need them and they flicker? I think led is the way to go but you cant paint reflectors then.

You know anything about this?

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I don't like projectors unless factory installed. Had them in my RX-8 and loved them but my buddies super duty they don't work right.

I am going led with my lights. Only complaint I have heard about them is the high beam is not much brighter than the low beam. So I bought a light bar that I plan to mount in the bumper for when I need "high" beams.

No paint in the headlight buckets for me. I plan to keep some of the chrome on my truck so the buckets should look good and help to tie everything together.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
I don't like projectors unless factory installed. Had them in my RX-8 and loved them but my buddies super duty they don't work right.

I am going led with my lights. Only complaint I have heard about them is the high beam is not much brighter than the low beam. So I bought a light bar that I plan to mount in the bumper for when I need "high" beams.

Yes that is true from what ive seen. But the lowbeams are so effective i never switch the brights on.

My 16 fusion titanium had led, our explorer sport had them, and out new xlt expl has them as well.

And you read my mind on the light bar. I had long discussions over light bars with David (Jomax). He actually offroads with lightbars or did on his old truck and has the skinny on whats good and what is just overpriced.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I got mine from a place in Massachusetts that sells fire and police lights. Seems really well made and the price I thought was fair. Have not installed it yet though so no opinion on light output yet. It is around 10k lumens though so should be bright.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea. Let me know.

David named three brands that arent the big names you typically hear of but they outperform them by a huge margin. Visionx, baja designs and i forget the third.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting the pigtails? I have all oem pieces, I'm changing my hood and fenders after being side swiped. I have the entire front end actually just not the wires needed to hook up the lights. I will have to get stuff painted so I won't have it together to soon but I want to have everything together once I'm ready to install.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.