07 turbo problems

mudslinger02

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm working on a 2007 F350 for a friend. He brought it to me for a oil change and what he said was a heat shield making noise. As soon as he shut it off I could tell it was the turbo. At idle it sounds fine but as soon as its shutdown, you can hear something knocking in the exhaust side of the turbo. I took the intake tube off and there is no shaft play in the turbo but when I spin it, I can feel something binding up and clunking around. I have zero experience with the 6.0's besides doing general maintenance. Any ideas or am I looking at just replacing the turbo? If so, who has the best price on a stock replacement?

Almost forgot, trucks is completely stock with 162K miles and pulls a 10-12K trailer almost daily.
Thanks!!

Radioflyer

Reaction score
I'd pull the turbo, pull the turbine side out and look at the vains. Also inspect the turbine housing and wheel see if it's made contact or anything. Generally if the bearings go, you'll see other signs. But doesn't rule that factor out.

mudslinger02

Reaction score
Well, I replaced the turbo and tore the old one apart to see what was going on. One of the pins that holds a vein in place broke off and the "finger" on the vein is also broken. Is there any way to fix this turbo or would it need a new exhaust housing? The turbine wheel looks surprisingly good from what I can tell. I will get a picture of it later

2988f442-a533-4980-95c4-586a9240695a.jpg

CAM00055.jpg

CAM00053.jpg

CAM00052.jpg

Gary

Reaction score
I think it possible to fix that, I'd give it a whirl it I was working on it. A good machinist would easily be able to fix that. Or look for a used housing and just change he housing. I've had 100's of these turbos apart and haven't seen one of those pins break like that yet.

sbracing240

Reaction score
The reason that the pin breaks or veins get stuck is the corrosion build up. What causes it is letting the truck sit for long periods of time and not warming engine up on short trips. To fix you clean turbine housing, veins, and vein disk with a 3m rolock disk and coat with anti seize. You can do this up to three times before turbo is no good

mudslinger02

Reaction score
Anyone know what the turbo is worth with a bad exhaust housing? The rest of it is in good shape with no play in it. I just want it out of my garage at this point

Latest posts

Members online