08 6.4 crank no start

Crossroads Puller

Reaction score
Ok I a 08 6.4 it's ******d and programmed with a mini max. Truck has 149k. The other day was driving down the road with a 6k trailer and it puffed a huge cloud of white smoke and shut off within 100 yards. Cranked no start and hasn't fired up since. Pulled codes with snap on solus scanner once got it back to the shop and got codes p0528 fan speed circuit, p0480 cooling fan 1 control,p0091 fuel pressure regulator control circuit low, p0003 fuel volume regulator circuit low , p0284 cylinder 8 contribution fault. After scanning for codes and monitoring rail pressure which never got above 1650 psi and the regulator opens up to 44%. Before cranking I cleared codes and once I started cranking I pulled a p2291. We checked fuel pressure at the schrader valve and it was 4psi which I felt was a bit low. I dead headed the hfcm and it made 20+ psi. At this point I pulled the regulator in the secondary bowl out and checked it for debris and found a few small piece in it blow them out with brake cleaner and checked the line back to the hfcm reinstalled everything. Bled the system of air I made my own bleed tool with a banjo bolt with a nipple on it, commanded pump on for 10 mins and just let it rip. I checked the fuel in the clean container and it had water in it.not very much but enough that I was concerned. I drained the hfcm and got roughly 12oz of liquid and 2 oz of the 12 was water. Bled again for 10 minutes and started cranking, rail pressure went to 1400 psi and 54% regulator and no higher and still wouldn't start but it is smoking a little bit like it wants to. Am I correct to say that the hpfp has crapped out on me??? Or am I missing something?? Any other tests I can do?? Only code I'm getting now is the 02291 and the wrench light is on also. Please help I'm thinking a pump but don't want to just throw parts at it blindly.
Sorry for being long winded but that's everything I have done as of current and it won't start still any input is much appreciated

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Check fuse 73 i think it is in the battery junction box. If its blown, you need a hi pressure pump cover gasket. Fuel pressure at 4 psi is in spec, spec is 2-8 i believe.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Do you have rpm, and sync? If it doesnt know its cranking, could be causing it to not build it

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ok, well i would most likeoy be putting a pump n it then. Good luck buddy.... Sorry couldnt find something else.

sootie

Reaction score
could be a hung injector also. make sure there is no diesel in the oil..

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Sounds to me like the pump failed, you might have multiple problems however. The last couple trucks I have gotten have had some issues with the pumps starting to fail and then hanging the injectors, they don't even always have to over fuel but they by pass internally and wont allow them to build rail pressure. Look down in the fuel cooler with he lines removed, if you can see metal then I bet the high pressure pump is failing. And if that's the case you will most likely need injectors as well.

Shipmate

Reaction score
Sounds to me like the pump failed, you might have multiple problems however. The last couple trucks I have gotten have had some issues with the pumps starting to fail and then hanging the injectors, they don't even always have to over fuel but they by pass internally and wont allow them to build rail pressure. Look down in the fuel cooler with he lines removed, if you can see metal then I bet the high pressure pump is failing. And if that's the case you will most likely need injectors as well.
^^^^ This,
I just did mine. But I had metal in the fuel bowl. I bought new injectors and HPFP and a low pressure fuel pump also. I did all the work. Dropping the fuel tank and cleaning all lines. You only have to do this if you have metal in the fuel bowl of in the cooler. Not a fun job but you can do it and not give ford or whoever the extra 4grand to do it.

Crossroads Puller

Reaction score
I did have some junk in the bowl also. I appreciate the help. I thought I was on the right track with a pump I'll probably put a set of injector in also just because of metal and water contamination

sootie

Reaction score
I did have some junk in the bowl also. I appreciate the help. I thought I was on the right track with a pump I'll probably put a set of injector in also just because of metal and water contamination

make sure all the lines get flushed and/or replaced or you will be doing the injectors again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.