08 Conversion

campbellflage

Reaction score
Figured I would start a thread to cover this even thought its been done before. I am still in the process of acquiring parts and its not gonna all happen at once, but over time. I am on a small budget here, still in college, and only working PRN at the hospital. I had a thread about keeping or trading the 7.3 for a 6.4, and while there was alot of push for the 6.4, I decided to keep the 7.3. So here goes.

Found these headlights locally, guy had them sitting in his backyard for quite a while, the lens is not the best but.. the price was right.
DSCF0023.JPG
Started to bake em and take them apart. (hilarious trying to explain why I was baking headlights to the fiance)
DSCF0025.JPG
Finished product, 4 coats of gloss black on the chrome bezel, 2 coats of night shades on the reflectors, and 4 coats of clear on both.
DSCF0027.JPG
And picked up this grille a little ways south of me, has one barely noticible surface scratch on the emblem, but good enough for me.
DSCF0028.JPG

Waiting to hear back on price to ship a ram air hood, and found fenders on partstrain for 170 shipped (non capa though, not sure on the quality there), and a bumper is proving hard to find in the non chrome option. Once I get more parts together I will update the progress.

campbellflage

Reaction score
got some of the process started today, with the help from an org member. More to come.

Attachments

• CAM00129.jpg
    CAM00129.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 176
  • CAM00130.jpg
    CAM00130.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 185

6.0Dually

Reaction score
Got any pictures of the process? Ive been wanting to do this for a while. Could the average person do this?

campbellflage

Reaction score
X2 on the process pictures/instructions. Do you have a full list of the parts required?

sent while hardly working

I didn't get any pictures of the tear down, was working with an org member and racing the afternoon approaching rain. I will get a full parts list when I get it all buttoned up.

campbellflage

Reaction score
Just got an email update about my street scene wiper cowl, should be here tomorrow. I also went with the 08 hood hinges so I wouldn't have to cut the cowl. One thing I found out that I either missed or wasn't covered in other people's process of doing this is that you can reuse the stock fender mounting locations. Bring one of the fender bolts to lowes or whatever and match the threads and get longer bolts. Mine were m6. This way your not drilling out slots for bolts to hold the fender in place. I am gonna fab up some better headlight mounts tomorrow and also get some bolts to mount the tow hooks. Where it sits now they hit the bumper so mounting them inside the frame will not work without notching the bumper bracket, I am gonna try to mount them on the bottom of the frame with different bolts and hopefully this should bring the tow hooks to the center of the bumper opening. Another thing I am gonna have to figure out is how to mount the hood shocks, as I have yet to see this covered.

campbellflage

Reaction score
X2 on the process pictures/instructions. Do you have a full list of the parts required?

sent while hardly working

08 Head lights
08 grille
08 hood (with striker)
08 bumper
08 hinges or reuse your own but will require cutting the cowl
08 wiper cowl
08 fenders
08 wiper linkage
08 grille lift supports (crossmember mounting brackets)
pvc or whatever your using to space the fenders
misc M6 bolts (they match the thread used to hold the stock fenders, so you can use the same mounting locations for the new fenders)
misc washers, nuts to space out things
I used self taping screws
fender badges
08 wheel well plastics, or cut rework your own
headlight conversion harness
some metal strap to fab up headlight mounts

Tools:
1- cutting tool to cut front frame and grill support..
2- some basic hand tools, sockets..
3- drill, bits.. new mounting points if needed, and the new mounting hole for the bumper.

that's pretty much it.. If I remember anything else I will edit.

campbellflage

Reaction score
Got these wired in today. Came with the bumper, with ballasts and everything. I didn't have fog lights from the factory, and don't have the wire harness, so I went with the relay setup tapping into the parking light. It came out great. I just have to try and figure out the color temp or whatever you call that so I can match with the headlights when I order a kit for them.

Attachments

• CAM00160-393981124.jpg
    CAM00160-393981124.jpg
    880.3 KB · Views: 80

campbellflage

Reaction score
My street scene wiper cowl also came the other day, but it was damaged during shipment so I have to wait another 2 weeks for a replacement. oh well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.