14 platinum, wheels tires vs ******s, tuner, exhaust HELP!

stock14platinum

Reaction score
Where to start? i am new to this site, i had a 7.3 from edge evol, air intake, leveled, 35", and 12"stack. that was several years ago. 2014 brought a brand new platinum and absolutlly love the truck. its driven mostly on weekends (have company truck, work 11-13 hrs per day) lots of road trips with family. truck has 20,000 miles on it and only mod is s &iy uintake. truck runs awesome and completely happy with it. now to my problem at hand. i have some money burning hole in pocket. as i am looking at my truck i say new rims and tires 2200-2500 which would make the truck look totatlly different or, do the ******s and programer / tunes that i see everyone talking about. if i go ******s and tuner route would consider buying from rudy's diesel and if i go rims and tires, not sure maybe a local belle tire as they are dealers for most brands that i like. so my questions for you all, i know the truck will be night and day if it is tuned and ******d, what does the ******** really do other than less restriction, does it make it sound different, better mpg, more power etc. also there are so many programers out there, what ones do you go with h & s appears to be really popular, ******* popular by some, or custom tune. keep in mind i live in toledo ohio so maybe get a custom tune somewhere. any help would be appreciated, maybe you all will say keeep it stock but that is not fun.

nv6.7

Reaction score
So this is my first post on here, but figured I would weigh in on this because I was in the same boat as you with my 15 platinum. I would go with the engine and electric mods over the aesthetics, I did wheels, tires, and suspension first and I should have gone the other goodies first. I just installed a ngauge from one of the vendors on here and I have nothing but awesome things to say about it, ran the same company's programmer on my 6.4. Their customer support is very helpful and fast and the tuning is rad as hell, the shifting is amazing. To answer your question more directly, yes your truck will sound different. Mine has a 5" down pipe to a 5" exhaust and she sounds like a jet engine spooling up, and boy is it throaty when you get on that throttle. To me nothing sounds as good as a straight piped V8 diesel. The ******s also gave me a pretty good bump in mpg maybe 2-3 mpg on the freeway, which got me back close to stock because my 37"s killed my mpg, but Ive also regeared my truck to 3.73s. You will feel the power even on the lowest tunes and the truck will sound different (better IMO) if you run it fully ******d. This is all from personal experience and I am no where near as knowledgable as anyone else on this site, but I saw you didn't have any responses so I figured I would take a stab at it.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
I just went through this dilemma, and realized I would have much more fun with a tuner. Plus, little different than you, my tires are brand new, so i can wait. I think you find the 6.7 owners all sing one tune, and it starts with a "spar" and ends with a "tan". Especially with the shift on the fly option releasing soon-ish. You may not look as good as all the other cats in town, but your meow will be meaner. Besides, youve got a platty... thats a perty truck as is.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Always, always go before show. Honestly who gives a rats ass what it looks like if it will outrun most anything at the stoplight?

Just my .02 though...

On edit: If it woukdnt have been for a wreck, where all the front end parts on mine needed changed out anyway, it would still have rattle canned 04 grille and stuff... Money would've en better spent on more go fast

Last edited:

Notneb

Reaction score
Hows your emission laws where you live? Might factor into your equation... Only reason I could see for doing looks over speed...

06-sixoh

Reaction score
I sell tires, wheels and all the pretty stuf to bruh! We gots show AND go!!:naughty:

I guess I didn't think about that one. hahah

I live in Ca, and Im going to do go before show. Im just going to order a DeePeeEf back exhaust, then a race pipe. This should let me drop and install the DeePeeEf as easily as possible.