155s or 175s with stock nozzles

lubeowner

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what a local kid quoted me who just opened up his own repair shop. Good head on his shoulders, seems to know his stuff around a 6.0.

I decided to get another quote from a well known diesel shop (not a vendor on here). Was quoted $700.xx, I said 'are you serious Clark?'. Was told it was a 5 hr job for one side and 2 1/2 for the other. So it takes his guy a full day to remove injectors?

If I remember correctly book time on changing one injector on each bank if 4.9 hours. Then you have to add .2 hours for each of the other 6 injectors, so 1.2 addition hours. For a total labor hours of 7.1 hours to do all eight.

constantfix

Reaction score
If I remember correctly book time on changing one injector on each bank if 4.9 hours. Then you have to add .2 hours for each of the other 6 injectors, so 1.2 addition hours. For a total labor hours of 7.1 hours to do all eight.

so you are saying it takes you 7.1 hrs to do this job personally? (not being a smartarse)

I get it, the book states x amount of hours so when the mechanic gets it done below what the book says, it is more profit for the business.

idk, seemed ridiculous to me. Guess i should learn to work on my own stuff, injectors are just intimidating to me. Don't want to f anything up

strokin6L

Reaction score
so you are saying it takes you 7.1 hrs to do this job personally? (not being a smartarse)

I get it, the book states x amount of hours so when the mechanic gets it done below what the book says, it is more profit for the business.

idk, seemed ridiculous to me. Guess i should learn to work on my own stuff, injectors are just intimidating to me. Don't want to f anything up

All jeremy was saying is that if you were to take it to ford...the job pays 7.1 hours. I know it takes jeremy alot shorter time to change all 8. I've done it in mine around 4 hours

lubeowner

Reaction score
All jeremy was saying is that if you were to take it to ford...the job pays 7.1 hours. I know it takes jeremy alot shorter time to change all 8. I've done it in mine around 4 hours

yes I can do them in shorter time like that, but you bid jobs based on book time. You also have to figure in how much time the mechanic and others have in the other things. Like talking to the customer. Odering parts. Testing the truck. Someone has to pay for the person who answers the phone. The person who writes up the invoice. The tools and scanner that hooks to the truck. Insurance, rent or mortgage payment.

All im saying is at $300 I wouldn't touch it. I get $500 for one injector replacement including the remaned injector that I get for $170.

You take your truck to Ford and have them put in 8 objectors and you will have around $4000 or so in it. I will have about $1300 my cost into the injectors. So I say to a customer I will do the job Ford just quoted them for $1000 less, they jump all over it. So what did I just get in labor? Everyone is happy.

Last edited:

constantfix

Reaction score
yes I can do them in shorter time like that, but you bid jobs based on book time. You also have to figure in how much time the mechanic and others have in the other things. Like talking to the customer. Odering parts. Testing the truck. Someone has to pay for the person who answers the phone. The person who writes up the invoice. The tools and scanner that hooks to the truck. Insurance, rent or mortgage payment.

All im saying is at $300 I wouldn't touch it. I get $500 for one injector replacement including the remaned injector that I get for $170.

You take your truck to Ford and have them put in 8 objectors and you will have around $4000 or so in it. I will have about $1300 my cost into the injectors. So I say to a customer I will do the job Ford just quoted them for $1000 less, they jump all over it. So what did I just get in labor? Everyone is happy.

thx for the answer

Hey if it works out for you guys then so be it. That's why I posed my question, to hear honest answers.

I do not take my truck to ford for anything (out of warranty, which i have been for awhile)

My business is different. I will answer the phone, visit the job, write a quote and answer any questions for free. I know it is apples to oranges. If i land a job, it is in upwards of 6 figures (very little of which I see personally, not being bragadosish.)

Completely understand that it has to be worth everyone's time.

In saying that, no way in hell would i pay 7 to 800 dollars to just remove injectors and put them back in. I'm not asking them to work on the injectors, i'm covering that.

Guess i shouldn't b!tch and just learn to work on my own stuff.

Gearhead

Reaction score
That would work too. I was sticking to 175s due to heavy towing

This makes no sense...... What if they were 900cc.... do you think they have any less towability than a stock injector with stock nozzles?

windrunner408

Reaction score
Guess i shouldn't b!tch and just learn to work on my own stuff.

This is what I do. Gives me more money for more upgrades since I am not wasting money on someone else's labor. Also keeps the money figure down to keep the wife happy.

windrunner408

Reaction score
This makes no sense...... What if they were 900cc.... do you think they have any less towability than a stock injector with stock nozzles?

Obviously there is a gap in the OP's injector knowledge if he thinks 175cc injectors with stock nozzles will be less towable than 190cc injectors with stock nozzles. It all comes down to what the redneck said about the "right" amount of fuel at the "right" time. This is what is going to allow any injector to either make power and/or be towable. Just sayin.

Dave

Reaction score
Obviously there is a gap in the OP's injector knowledge if he thinks 175cc injectors with stock nozzles will be less towable than 190cc injectors with stock nozzles. It all comes down to what the redneck said about the "right" amount of fuel at the "right" time. This is what is going to allow any injector to either make power and/or be towable. Just sayin.

No I know what Im talking about windrunner. I was going either or in case I were to upgrade nozzles at some point down the road..

Members online

No members online now.