17" wheel for drag radial ?

cbf9703

Reaction score
27psi ah Kind? I started up around there and the more I dropped the better it felt/ hooked. That was just with a quick burnout to wipe the tires off. I'll be doing lots more runs this year so well see. And I agree with the cal tracs for sure. You need it to load up some. I ran a half turn of preload on them but I think that was to stiff, didn't alow it to transfer

Never had much luck up that high either.

Ditching/swapping leaves and softening the front helped with weight transfer and 60' here. Nothing fancy, just hit up the local pick-a-part and picked up some gasser stuff. Played around with the set up at our local 1/8th mile to test until we were happy with it.

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Well. I think I may have an idea on my wheels. Mt only makes the classic in a 17x9. So Im going to get a set of those and send to weldcraft to have widened to the inside to 12". Should work perfectly.

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Yea they are really offset so far to the outside it will only have a 8" offset vs. 6 factory. I will still have a little clearance.

08twinturbo

Reaction score
This is sort of the look I want to acheive. I wonder if this tire on a 12" wheel will hook well enough. Weldcraft can widen the wheels to 12" I will have 400$ per wheel. not sure if it's worth the extra cost.
12gen1wheel2.jpg

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Yes I read up on those. Apparently that was a one time deal where bogart made that set of 8 lug wheels. They don't offer them anymore.

Well guys. I was wrong on that statement. I called rich at bogart wheels today and he is going to make me a full set of custom wheels. Skinnies in front and wide in back. Any offset I want. And this made me smile. His 16" wheels clear our brakes because of the way his are designed. So that's the plan. He had me measure my brakes to confirm this.

2good2Btru

Reaction score
Well guys. I was wrong on that statement. I called rich at bogart wheels today and he is going to make me a full set of custom wheels. Skinnies in front and wide in back. Any offset I want. And this made me smile. His 16" wheels clear our brakes because of the way his are designed. So that's the plan. He had me measure my brakes to confirm this.

Awesome. If u don't mind me asking, about how much would each wheel cost. Did he give you an idea of how much the widest wheel weigh?

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Yes he did. He told me I better be ready to sit down. he said they were in the 450-500$ range each for rear 10" and front 5" were 400-450$. Honestly I didn't think that was bad for a custom wheel. Rear will have a 7.5" backspace. And front will 2.5"
This is exactly what is on the white race truck pictured above. That's a 2005 2wd. It has 33x10.5-16 on rear.

Last edited:

08twinturbo

Reaction score
He will make them in any diameter or width. I asked about 17x12 first with 8" backspacing because I really want something I can drive on. The 16s are nice for a taller tire but no drag radials available to my knowledge only slicks. He was running a 33-13-16 m&h slick on a 10" rim with 7.5 " backspacing.

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Well after careful measuring. A 16" wheel won't work unless slight grinding is done as stated earlier. I am going with a 17x12 with 8" offset. With a 390-40-17. So it will be centered like stock. Plus 2 added to front and back of wheel.

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Thanks. I honestly wanted something taller. But everyone says these work great. So I am joining the club!

08twinturbo

Reaction score
One more piece too the puzzle. Skinniest shor test load e 17" tire I could find. 225-75-17. Should look good and be safe.
20150218_204802.jpg

devdiesel

Reaction score
What make/ brand are those? And how do heights compare to the rear tires? That's exactly what I was going to buy size wise today Lol, just run them on the original 17" steelies out front

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Those are firestone transforce ht. Load e 225-75-17
Overall height 30.0
width 6.5
they have. Really smooth looking sidewall too. They weigh 40pds.

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Well. It's been a while since I spoke of these wheels but hopefully in the next few weeks we will see some 8 lug Bogarts! Sizes will remain the same 17x7 front. With 225-75-17 tire which is 30" tall. Rear rim has changed and will now be 18x11 with new hoosier drag radial 325-45-18 which is also 30" tall. Both 2 piece wheels in D-10 style which are rated for street use. Hopefully after these are done maybe it will be easier to obtain these in the 8 lug community. Thanks to Dallas for helping me get the ball rolling for each of us!

Rubenk

Reaction score
Well. It's been a while since I spoke of these wheels but hopefully in the next few weeks we will see some 8 lug Bogarts! Sizes will remain the same 17x7 front. With 225-75-17 tire which is 30" tall. Rear rim has changed and will now be 18x11 with new hoosier drag radial 325-45-18 which is also 30" tall. Both 2 piece wheels in D-10 style which are rated for street use. Hopefully after these are done maybe it will be easier to obtain these in the 8 lug community. Thanks to Dallas for helping me get the ball rolling for each of us!

Always great to hear of stuff like this for us 8-luggers! Let us know how they turn out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.