175/75, 68mm KC stage 3 turbo, TSD SPD tune

peixinho

Reaction score
Well I know most guys on here are die hard non vgt fans but I am overwhelled by how well this setup turned out so I wanted to post a little here. It is unbelievable what these trucks are capable of with the right combination of parts. A couple of other guys are running the similar setups and we are all super impressed with similar results. Truck is a blast to drive. Runs super clean. WOT cleans the injectors up to nothing.

I should be pushing the 600hp mark, my last dyno was 583hp before my updated tune

My setup: 175/75 Warren Diesel Injectors, KC 68mm Stage 3 vgt turbo, Truck Source Diesel Super Panty Dropper tune, 4" straight pipe... thats it! Stock Tranny, Stock fuel system (blue spring and banjo only), Stock dirty intake, Stock intake manifold, stock headers, stock ficm tune, stock up pipes... etc... etc...

Here is a video. 0-110, i rolled into the throttle at 15mph... needless to say traction has become an issue. Sorry for the crappy video and the weird sound... a plastic bag flew up from the back seat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a***a6p0pxA

peixinho

Reaction score
It is just an experimental turbo for now. It has been something I have been working on with a couple of guys all year long. We have about 5 or 6 out there testing a couple of different setups and getting some longevity tests. So far everything is going great.

ford rules

Reaction score
Looks like it may have caught traction at 70 and dropped back down? Looks fun either way.

peixinho

Reaction score
It is a blast to drive. I know some combos work better than other but this one is awesome. It is an absolute joy to drive.

Yep... Traction... It will spin the tires all the way up to 70mph... then it finally grabbed full traction when it shifted. I have to ease the throttle up to about 50mph before flooring it or I loose a little bit of traction. It is easy to control but also fun to play with. I have the factory ls rear end... but I might eventually upgrade to a detroit locker to see if it helps.

I am going to try and get a boosted 1/4 video and post it here this week

OBS F350

Reaction score
I told myself I was done modding my truck to buy a car to make fast and just tow with the truck but all these great vgt threads has my check book burning haha.

peixinho

Reaction score
Yep a lot of good vgts are coming out.

But another thing I think that is changing the market is some really good tuning. I have always felt that we could get more out of vgt turbos... it would just come down to some cheaper big vgt options and some better tuning.

Also I think many people have gone the wrong way with their trucks and now with so much experience we are starting to realize what works and what doesnt. Like throwing 225/100 at a big vgt and having low icp = smokey slow pig... there are so many things we are learning and I really think the 6.0 is about to make a huge comeback.

I am also working with Chris at TSD and I am hoping to get a really good tow tune written up for this combo. This turbo cleans the injector up to nothing and with this tune it spools awesome. I bet this setup or anything close could easily tow around 10-15k. I will be testing that out very soon

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
How is your trans holding up? I would love to have a set up similar to this one day. Looks like a lot of fun! Any more videos?

Pretty reliable? I DD my truck and i'm no mechanic so I'd need something that wouldn't give me a ton of problems.

Last edited:

peixinho

Reaction score
I have had 0 problems with this setup so far going on 15,000 miles... I went this route just to see what the stock components can handle. I plane on upgrading the normal stuff as it goes out.

The tranny is holding up well. It has 190,000 miles on it. I have no 3-5 shift flair, never overheats, fluid looks great... but for about 10,000 miles I have had delayed drive/reverse engagement and low rpm od tq converter shutter. I am unsure if those issues are power related or miles related. A lot of trannies start needing a rebuild around 200,000 miles. I am probably going to get a tranny built from andy warren put in.

IMO anyone over 500hp should start planning for a trannh rebuild at some time... especially if u beat hard on the truck like me

Last edited:

swinky

Reaction score
I have had 0 problems with this setup so far going on 15,000 miles... I went this route just to see what the stock components can handle. I plane on upgrading the normal stuff as it goes out.

The tranny is holding up well. It has 190,000 miles on it. I have no 3-5 shift flair, never overheats, fluid looks great... but for about 10,000 miles I have had delayed drive/reverse engagement and low rpm od tq converter shutter. I am unsure if those issues are power related or miles related. A lot of trannies start needing a rebuild around 200,000 miles. I am probably going to get a tranny built from andy warren put in.

IMO anyone over 500hp should start planning for a trannh rebuild at some time... especially if u beat hard on the truck like me

My trans made it about 10k after I started having the same issues. Got worse then quit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

swinky

Reaction score
Imo the rolling downshifts into 5th kill them the fastest. Maybe like a 60mph roll where it downshifts right into the power band seems rough on it to say the least. Strong running truck man!

OBS F350

Reaction score

The slow engagement into reverse or drive is most likely a gummed up direct drive solenoid. Could be the solenoid being wore out or old trans fluid.. Or both.

swinky

Reaction score
The slow engagement into reverse or drive is most likely a gummed up direct drive solenoid. Could be the solenoid being wore out or old trans fluid.. Or both.

Yuhpp. I wouldn't touch the fluid with that many miles on it though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.