18mm heads onto 20mm block

Tay5985

Reaction score
I just got done doing gaskets on my truck cab off this last weekend. I had the heads gone through and did everything I was aware of that had to be swapped. Step Dowels for the heads, Factory gaskets rocker boxes swapped etc. We got the truck running again and it keeps blowing out the orings on the injectors. After speaking with my buddy over at ford we realized that the injector hold downs are different from the two heads. Would this make sense to anyone else? Im stumped on why else the injectors would keep blowing out the orings. Any input would be greatly appreciated so I can get this thing back on the road.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
Do you know what year the heads are? There was a slight difference in the early 03 hold downs. Are the injectors being torqued properly? That's usually the issue rather than the hold downs.

webb06

Reaction score
I thought the only difference was the torx size on the bolt rather than the hold down shape being physically different.

protraxrptr17

Reaction score
No, the hold downs are different. I've been through this myself.

ETA: you need hold downs that match your heads. They are different in the distance from the bolt to the side of theinjector

Last edited:

Tay5985

Reaction score
I got the hold downs tonight for the older heads. Gonna swap them and do all new seals and hope for the best.. Hoping this thing is good now. 3rd times the charm with the gaskets hopefully

Mdub707

Reaction score
I've heard such conflicting information on this, Tay, could you possibly get some pictures maybe of each side by side to finally put this to bed?

Tay5985

Reaction score
Gonna be pulling it apart shortly.. I will take a pic and post it when I get a few minutes and let everyone know what happens after reassembly

Tay5985

Reaction score
Tore the truck down tonight and swapped the injector hold downs.. I'm amazed at how different they are.. Got it all back together and running great no issues here's a pic 07 hold down is left 03-06 on right.. Glad I got it taken care of image.jpg

webb06

Reaction score
Tore the truck down tonight and swapped the injector hold downs.. I'm amazed at how different they are.. Got it all back together and running great no issues here's a pic 07 hold down is left 03-06 on right.. Glad I got it taken care ofView attachment 25540

Can you get a side shot? Laying side by side to see the total height of each. That may be where the problem is. I'm betting one is taller

Latest posts

Members online