1996 f250 axles

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
Morning all,

Im really having a hard time figuring out what the deal is with the axles under the OBS's. I would like to at the least add a leveling kit, but would really like a 4" lift or so. Everything i read on here and other forums is that your wasting your money and you should just do a D60 swap. Are OBS axles not dana 60's and why is it so horrible to put a 4" lift on the factory components?

Sorry if this is mundane and questions that a million people have asked but a lot of the answers are just to forget it and do the D60 swap with no real info.

Thanks in advance.

PSDEng

Reaction score
F-250 trucks came with Dana 50 TTB axles. F-350 trucks came with Dana 60 monobeam axles, either in ball joint or king pin flavors. I'm sure someone with more info will be along shortly, I don't fool around much with lift kits and the like.

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
From what ive read its hard to discern wether people are saying the leafs are junk and the SD leafs ride better..... OR..... the axles are junk...

The most dirt this truck will see is if it parks in someones pasture. long as it tracks true, and isnt like driving a dump truck i would be ok.

rusty1161

Reaction score
From what ive read its hard to discern wether people are saying the leafs are junk and the SD leafs ride better..... OR..... the axles are junk...

The most dirt this truck will see is if it parks in someones pasture. long as it tracks true, and isnt like driving a dump truck i would be ok.

The design of the suspension is junk, and it wears out the bushings quickly. At the age these trucks are and the likely maintenance that the Dana 50 is going to require, you are better off investing in a Dana 60, IMHO.

Rusty

zilla68

Reaction score

I can tell you this, the stock leaf design was junk, add an rsk and sd springs and you would be in heaven, I couldn't believe the difference mine made when i did this, its actually a pleasure to drive now.

jschildm

Reaction score

I am not a suspension expert, but here is what I know. The D50 on the F-250 trucks is a TTB axle, or a type if independent suspension. The problem with it is that the pivot bushings wear out, they are hard to align, and they tend to be hard on the other steering and suspension parts/tires/etc, and if you put a lift or bigger tires on them, it only makes it worse. This is the case regardless of whether its mainly on-road or off-road.

The D60 is a solid axle and has proven to be a much more reliable system. Where the ride gets better is if you decide to put in an RSK so you can put Superduty leafs on it (RSK kits are also available with different levels of lift). The superduty leaf springs ride much better. IMO, if you are going to swap the D60, you may as well do the RSK and get your lift and better ride at the same time.

Basically, the D60 is a big improvement, and the RSK with superduty springs is even better.

superpsd

Reaction score
I still have the ttb under mine. There is an add a leaf system to fix sag. I use my truck daily on/off road. I have had no major issues with the TTB. Even with a little bit of sag. It does ride rough. I have a slow pile of parts to lift the TTB collecting. I have 5000lb firestone airbags that will hopefully be replacing the leafs. I will also have to build custom radius arms. Until then the TTB still gets me around and I have 255/85/16 Toyo MT (33.5" tires). The main issue with lift of a TTB is said to be the drop arm. You need the correct one to keep the steering linkage level so they don't pull inward and wear on the tires. TTB is not as strong as a D60 but in some areas like pre runners who often modify the TTB for competition. The ttb heavily modified has also been put under other brand of trucks including chevys and jeeps.

Last edited:

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
OK its making more and more sense. Thanks fellas! So, for my understanding.... I can take an OBS F350 and use its axles (dana 60's ?), rsk shackle flip (whatever size I decide), and superduty springs (spring codes I should lok for?), and then misc stuff.

...or should I use new SD axles? Is there a kit to stransplant an 05+ coil front end w/ radius arms or 4-link? :evil

This will be mine on saturday!
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/cto/4711440836.html

m j

Reaction score
the 05+ stuff looks like the best way to go IMO
the parts are very cheap here and they are the biggest d60 made

Obsledpuller

Reaction score
OK its making more and more sense. Thanks fellas! So, for my understanding.... I can take an OBS F350 and use its axles (dana 60's ?), rsk shackle flip (whatever size I decide), and superduty springs (spring codes I should lok for?), and then misc stuff.

...or should I use new SD axles? Is there a kit to stransplant an 05+ coil front end w/ radius arms or 4-link? :evil

This will be mine on saturday!
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/cto/4711440836.html

They don't makexa kit to do the 05+ axles but from what I've read so far it is t hard to do this swap. I will be able to tell you first hand next month!

joshuap

Reaction score
I believe just a d60 swap might give you a little bit of lift to level out. My truck just new addaleafs, skyjacker, to be exact. The ride is same or better, but the camber required some hardcore shims to zero out lol. All in all it was a nice solution to level out. Now I'm ready to replace tires in future with 34-35 in when current tires wear out. If I had the money, I would def swap axles for ease of lift in future (for son)

diesel dane

Reaction score
PM me. dead serious. Perfect opportunity for anyone with a OBS 250. ORU reverse shackle kit, dual front shocks, cross over steering knuckle, warn hubs, 3.55 gearing, Detroit locker rear, 6 bilstein piggy back shocks, pro comp 20x9s, rear spacers to make tires line up. atlas lift springs 8" rear lift no 4" blocks for 4"lift total and 2"front lift springs + RSK=4",

I'm aiming for this to be my Swamps Diesel winter project with PMF 4 link in the front and hopefully slightly lower stance

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.