1997 impossible to tune

sethc24

Reaction score
On a side note i swapped a zf-5 into my truck and drove with an auto pcm with auto tuning on it. It did not run that badly at all. It stumbled a bit and hazed smoke. But you could still drive it. Not check engine light either.

Reaction score
I went through a similar issue with tuning, when a tuner writes a program for a truck, he has no visible information to go off of, when you submitt your order for a tune, basically explaining to him what you have, which is everything from hpop setup, injector size (and nozzle size, very important in tuning the timing and icp) trans setup, gear ratio, tire size ect ect, I had Bill at php tune mine, very pleased with my 250/200s and truck idles good with only a slight chop in the extreme tune, after 5 years at Detroit Diesel it would be cool to see some software like DDRS come around for tuners so that a customer could take a log file with everything in place and send it to a tuner and then they could adjust everything to their liking, every engine has a little different attitude when it comes ICP and ICP at diff EOTs, so being dead honest with a tuner and making sure you explain carefully to them what you have is very important, they spend hrs trying their hearts out to make these dinosaurs run like scalded dogs, hopefully this helps. Another thing is do all basic low power checks, check your fuel pressure under load, ICP under load, not just in the drive way at full throttle, check boost pressure under load, does it come up fast or slow to build, when you exp a low power condition is your EGTs sky high, indicates timing issue and or low ICP problem hard load, does it use oil/have blowby, check all your engine grounds as well as IDM grounds. Tuners can't see issues that you may or may not have being 1000s of miles away, when you have a tuned hot engine, every little thing must work together properly and correctly.

Latest posts

Members online