2000 7.3L sluggish/dying

f-150_xl

Reaction score
Fellas I've got the opportunity to pick up a 2000 F-250 xlt thats pretty darn clean for fairly cheap. Problem is, it has an issue which he specifically describes as this - "When you start it - it runs great for about 2 miles then it falls flat on its face and runs horrible. If you shut the key off and start it back up, it runs great again for a few miles and does the same thing."

So, my question is what is likely the cause of this? CPS? HPOP/fuel pump? What would be the worst problem? I'm not very familiar with the 99-03 7.3L so any suggestions? Also, most I will have to pay is $7,500 for it with 150k miles. But I have a pretty good feeling I can get it for less. Interior is great with no rips/tears. Exterior is excellent with just a few small scratches from normal use. Oh, also its a 6spd. :D Sound like a good deal?

SuperDuty.png

supaduty.png

Tom S

Reaction score
Too hard for me to suggest something on what is wrong with the truck with that descripton. If the price was right I would not be afraid of that truck though.

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
I agree with Tom in that it could be quite a few things causing the issue, but IMHO a forged rod motor with 150k on the clock is worth what he is asking if there are no major problems (transmission, knock, white smoke, excessive blowby, etc.)

Lowdown89

Reaction score
My truck is doing that now, and we are fairly sure it's from trash in the tank, I don't think you could wrong with that price, there should be plenty of people on here that can get you pointed in the right direction of fixing it

bluedge8

Reaction score
what they said
doesn't sound like a major mechanical problem, talk him down a little more and you will have a 6spd psd!!!

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
My first suspect would be fuel system issues. Most likely the screens/filters in the tank. A fuel pressure gauge could tell you what ya need to know. To do this on the cheap - you can add a piece of hose to the discharge from the fuel filter water drain valve and clamp a cheeep water pressure gauge on the end of it. You'll also need to add clamps on the 'lil piece of hose attached to the drain valve. Then, open valve and read the pressure!

An even simpler 'test' would be add the hose as described and simply drain the bowl - then turn on the key with open valve and observe flow/volume. The bowl holds about 8oz of fuel and the pump should move over a quart before it times out. A trickle while pump is on would be an indication of failing pump, suction-side air leak or obstructed filter(s) in tank.

Sooner or later ya need to do the 'in-tank mods' anyway and get rid of those stupid screens and mixing chamber and put a pre-pump screen on the frame - so you can change it/clean it without removing the tank! Go ahead and cut off the vent tube in there as well so you can fill tank FAST all the way to the TOP!
http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/hutch.php

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
I would say junk in the tank as well. A friend of mine had the same problem on one of their farm trucks...it would run great for a few miles and bog down. Stop, let it settle and all would go back to normal. Once we dropped/flushed the tank it ran perfectly. I would look the truck over and if it's in good shape I would go for it, especially for 7500

f-150_xl

Reaction score
Dunno what ever happened to this guy? I left multiple voicemails and never got a return call... Maybe he fixed the problem and decided to keep it! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.