2000 f250 dies, very weird problems

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Also, i noticed something VERY weird. The Engine coolant temp is NOT right. Im not sure its even reading that? Right now with the truck not running for a while, the engine oil temp is at 141, the engine coolan temp reads 491. When the truck hasnt ran all day, first fired the coolant temp was reading over 500, then drops to 3, then worked its way up by 2 degree incriments till it was over 151 when the truck died. I unplugged the sensor and it had NO effect at all. Just thought that was weird. I know its not THE problem, but possibly related somehow? I have never had so much trouble trying to diagnose ANYTHING!!!

Edit: And lastly, it is not failing any contribution tests now. I have ran it every time I hook up AE.

Last edited:

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Have you ran it with the ICP sensor unhooked? And have you checked fuel pressure? And have you been checking the oil for excess aeration?

RedSmokey

Reaction score
I tried ICP unhooked, didnt change. Dont have a FP guage. I did not check the oil... I will check the oil and hopefully track down a FP guage to hook up on monday. Im done till monday as im leaving right after work to go camping and wont be back till sunday night. I found some more interesting stuff though. One battery is ***ED. Has voltage but very low on amps. The other battery is ok but not great. But the terminal is mangled, im wondering if that could be part of the problem. After the truck dies, it will crank but not fire. Hours later it will fire right up and start the whole process over. While cranking its getting tons of ICP but there are no fumes or anything coming out the pipe. Shouldnt there be at least a little haze or something coming out? This is why im asking what is the voltage needed to fire the IDM?

TRX370r

Reaction score
coolant temp is a important input I belive. Im guessing your engine harness has a issue and is shorting out the temp wires with somthing else possibly and only shows itself when your bouncing down the road.

Austin

Reaction score
Injector is probably allowing pressure from the combustion chamber to enter the fuel system and putting a lot of air into it.

Crack the check valve on the back of the PS head, does foam come out?

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Injector is probably allowing pressure from the combustion chamber to enter the fuel system and putting a lot of air into it.

Crack the check valve on the back of the PS head, does foam come out?

Wow. Nice.

Arisley

Reaction score
I would simply change the batteries, have the alternator checked, and go from there. These trucks do the weirdest things when the power is not right.

00f3fiddy

Reaction score
I would simply change the batteries, have the alternator checked, and go from there. These trucks do the weirdest things when the power is not right.

My batteries check good and the truck would not start. It would spin over fine. While trying to start the truck and monitor icp the scanner would loose communication. Put a jump box on the battery and it fired right up!

RedSmokey

Reaction score
I will pull the batteries out of the red truck, i know they are good and not that old. Alternator checked good and im using one out of a running truck right now. I should have though about this as I had an issue like this about 2 years ago with the red truck as far as the starting, it wasnt dying though. I dunno. I will keep updates going, but probably wont be messing with it till monday. Thanks everyone for all the info and help so far. Thanks for the call yesterday Jap.

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Might have figured it out... I will let you guys know for sure in a bit. My buddy is off work today and messin with it, just got a somewhat disturbing call about how stupid the problem might be. He is going to test it out and call me back.

Austin

Reaction score
What did he say it was? I only suggested an injector because my old truck did the same exact thing.

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Dont have time to finish messin with it till monday, but it looks like somone robbed my fuel tank and ***ked up the sending unit. The tank appears to have been empty while the guage was still where I last had fuel :doh: He tapped the tank and it sounded hallow, then put a couple gallons in from a can and said he heard it hitting the bottom...

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP. I will confirm this all 100% when I get back monday, but that appears to be the case.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.