2000 ford 7.3 quit running

lildiup

Reaction score
Hey on my 2000 7.3 I was driving and it sputtered a bit and shut off will not start back up. Anybody have any ideas what it would be? Has fuel and when cranking the oil pressure comes up.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
any smoke? a buzz test will tellyou if your injectors are getting signal / idm is good, harness' are good

you need to check ipr/icp, you need 500psi to start.

Could be a shot IPR, could be a bad IDM, Could be CPS, could be unplugged UVCH , could be dozens of things, Check codes, buzz test it, check ipr/icp then we can help. Or just waste 700$ replacing parts till you find out whats bad.

lildiup

Reaction score
Put it on the computer the rpm gets to 125 highest. Unplugged icp still nothing.

golfer

Reaction score
Mine won't read that waiting for a buddy to bring a snap on scanner.

things to check:

valid rpm signal (on a scan tool), not the tachometer on dash.
minimum of 500psi ICP pressure while cranking*
listen for an audible buzz from each injector during an injector buzz test.

most likely, you won't have one of these...

*if the ICP (on a scantool) registers 2465psi after some period of cranking..that is abso-posi-lutely a bogus value...and you may need to install a mechanical HPOil pressure gauge, similar to this:

http://swampsdiesel.com/prestashop/en/diagnostic-gauges/912-hpop-test-gauge.html

it's also common for extended periods of cranking (without the vehicle actually starting) for the PCM to set a Cam Position sensor code...

however, if you have a valid rpm reading on the scantool, while cranking..the CPS is fine...and the code is simply a result of crank/no start.

ICP
buzz test
rpm

other than that...all these things need are compression to burn the fuel.

note, if you are only getting @ 200-300psi of ICP while cranking (before the scantool defaults to a bogus 2465)..you can spend a lot of time diagnosing things...but I'd throw an IPR at the vehicle.

if you have no (ie, zero) ICP while cranking..make sure the oil level is good in the sump/pan...as a lack of LPOil Pressure will cause a lack of HPOPressure...

the dummy LPOil gauge (upper left corner on dash) should come up within a few engine revolutions while cranking..if you are not getting LPOil pressure...then troubleshoot that issue as well..

severe HPOil system leaks, can actually cause a lack of LPOil pressure...so chit get's tricky if you are dealing with a lack of both LP & HPOil pressure.

hopefully it'll be something simple..bad IDM, IPR, or CPS

mustube

Reaction score
Check PCM fuse and make sure your IPR is still together as well. If it is your PCM fuse, and it blows again afterwards, unplug your fuel bowl heater.

Golfers post should probably be a sticky for no start troubleshooting.

Latest posts

Members online