2002 7.3 brake control switch

cbly

Reaction score
Need some help here, I believe my brake control switch has gone bad, but not sure, don't want to just throw parts at it.

Problem: I have an electric brake controller installed for towing, and when I plug in my trailer, the green light will not light up, and the electric brakes wont work, however I can use the manual lever and the brakes function properly. All the lighting on the trailer functions properly, along with the brake lights. I have towed the trailer with another truck and the brakes work fine. I also had the brakes checked out at the RV shop last time it was in for repairs and everything checked out good.

I have installed a new 7 way connector on the truck, new pigtail on the trailer and also change the electric brake controller out, and still get the same thing. I read where it could be the brake pedal switch, but if this was bad, would the brake stop lights on the trailer still work?

Hope someone has had this issue and can point me in the right direction.

Also have checked all fuses.

CBly

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
the BOO (brake on off) switch is mounted on the brake pedal. and sends voltage to brake controller via the little green wire. the green wire hooks to the red wire on the brake controller. depress the brake pedal and you should see B+ on the red wire. if not then trace the wire and or switch to find the open

RiVerBum01

Reaction score
I believe on the 7 way connector there is a wire in the plug you have to switch around. Not sure witch one thou. Just take the plug on the trailer side apart and you should see what I'm talking about. Good luck!

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
I believe on the 7 way connector there is a wire in the plug you have to switch around. Not sure witch one thou. Just take the plug on the trailer side apart and you should see what I'm talking about. Good luck!

What are talking about? I've never heard of this

RiVerBum01

Reaction score
Sorry, I was thinking of a 7 to 6 way adapter causing the brakes to stay locked up. Had it happen to me once but it's been a while. Hope you figure out what's going on!

Zaairman

Reaction score
Have you checked to see if your brake lights are actually working? The brake pedal switch is cheap (under $20 from Ford) and only takes a few mins to replace.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Is the controller turned all the way down? Stupid question I know, but I thought mine was broken for the longest time because the light would flicker quick when I touched the brakes and go out. Turned up the power and it worked fine again. :doh:

RiVerBum01

Reaction score
Have you checked to see if your brake lights are actually working? The brake pedal switch is cheap (under $20 from Ford) and only takes a few mins to replace.

You wouldn have a part number for the switch would you? My brake lights haven't been working for a while now.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.