2002 white smoke issue

Csims77

Reaction score
First time poster. Long time lurker. Figured I'd give it a shot here since this place seems to have a good wealth of knowledge.

I've had an issue for quite some time regarding a light white smoke dusting out of tailpipe after extended idle or low rpms on acceleration. I have read and read and read forum topics from a number of different forums on troubleshooting my isssue but I cannot seem to solve it. I'm running Swamps 200/30% hybrids with 38r.

I find out that if I'm at a drive thru or a long light then once I get back on the road, the initial acceleration will emit a decent bit of white smoke (but not overly excessive) but then clears up within 2-3 seconds. The truck runs great, power is great, fuel mileage is great. She starts up easily. It will not do it at higher RPMS. It only seems to do it after idling or driving at low rpm or so at normal operating temps (rotella t6 5w-40).

I had been in contact with Swamps recently sent my injectors back to Swamps a few weeks back to which they said a nozzle was leaking (on #4 injector)......they replaced it, flow tested the other 7 and then sent them back to me quickly (fantastic service BTW). Dave at Swamps has been outstanding to work with in trying to troubleshoot my issue. I still seem to have the same issue now.

I've run a compression test and lowest was 385 to highest at 405 so all are within spec. ICP and fuel pump have been replaced about 3 months ago. ICP and IPR shown on edge insight shows strong HPOP. Coolant looks fine and maintaining a constant level in the tank. Motor not making or losing any oil and has 121K on it now. Fuel Pressure is 70 psi at idle but then will drop to 60 or so under WOT. Truck has hutch mod with pre pump filter and FPx along with riffraff CVDs. Its not from the Turbo as downpipe off turbo is dry. Glow plugs and GPR are all new so I'm running out of ideas on what to check or look for next.

Sorry for long winded post but wanted to fit everything in that I could.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
How many miles?
motor has 121k on it per his post... compression is good.. doubt it is fuel related. im guessing ccv is routed to atmosphere or is plugged..

exactly how mine was when I tried it to atmosphere..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Csims77

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. CCV is not modified and isn't plugged or blocked.

Csims77

Reaction score
have you pulled the dog house off and checked?

live life full throttle

Yes, when I reinstalled the injectors I cleaned the house out with brake cleaner then allowed to air dry overnight.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yes, when I reinstalled the injectors I cleaned the house out with brake cleaner then allowed to air dry overnight.
and you're positive the lil 90 is hooked up propper to the intake and not plugged?

live life full throttle

Csims77

Reaction score
and you're positive the lil 90 is hooked up propper to the intake and not plugged?

live life full throttle

I'm 100% positive. I'll see if I can get a video tomorrow if that would help.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Mine do that a bit in colder weather too. Sometimes mine will really smoke when i start it. About three seconds and it goes away.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
im guessing if the ccv checks out and the little 90 hose is still connected to the intake like it should be then the 38r is seeping oil through.. it is doing exactly what they do when the ccv is routed to atmosphere or seals are going out..

live life full throttle

Csims77

Reaction score
If it were to be turbo seals, is there anything that can be done other than replace it? From what I've read the 38r isn't rebuildable. Only thing is that the downpipe is dry with nothing but soot.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If it were to be turbo seals, is there anything that can be done other than replace it? From what I've read the 38r isn't rebuildable. Only thing is that the downpipe is dry with nothing but soot.
could be pushing it through the innercooler from the compressor side. I just know the 38r is extremely sensitive to cc pressure.. it sounds exactly like it is the problem.. its doing it just enough to seep at low rpm but it is just enough to allow it to burn off at higher rpm..

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
I need to catch can, and plumb mine back into my intake. The stank is gettin to be too much.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.