2003 6.0 dies then hot, no restart???

Biggsw784

Reaction score
Heres the story, I have a customer bring me a 2005 F250 with a 2003 6.0 engine in it. His egr cooler failed and I drained about 3-4 gal of water out of the crankcase. He said he brought in from a trip and the next morning the truck wouldnt crank over (because of the water on the pistons). I deleted the egr cooler and it ran perfect for about 20-30 mins at a idle and when I put it in gear it died and wouldnt restart. Once it cools down, it starts right up. I once again started it and let it run and it will die once it gets so hot. I put my scanner on it and monitered FICM voltage, ICP and IPR. Ficm voltage is perfect but the ICP reads about 100 psi while start while it is commanding 650-700 psi and the IPR goes to 100% duty cycle. So I am assuming I have a high pressure oil leak. I end up replacing the HPOP, oil pump cover, the line off the pump, flex lines under the valve covers and the IPR. I start it and it is doing the same damn thing. I thought too that maybe the ICP may be a issue since whoever installed the 2003 engine in a 2005 truck had to extend the ICP harness to the rear of the engine. I unplugged it to which it should default at 650-700 psi and which it did so I assumed it was good. I am at a total loss here. I work on these trucks everyday in my little independent shop and I have never had a issue like this that with these symptoms these parts dont fix. Where do I go from here?? Any help is greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks

Biggsw784

Reaction score
What is the icp reading with the engine off key on?

koeo is 0 psi. It comes up as you crank on it. ICP when engine cold, is reading what the ICP is commanding which is between 650-700 psi. When hot the ICP is reading around 100 psi while cranking while it still is commanding 650-700 psi. Once I unplug the ICP and I crank on it, it goes to default which it is also 650-700 psi but it obviously wont start because there must be a oil leak of some sort?? But what else is there?? I thought maybe the branch tube but all the ones I seen rupture, it wont even start the truck cold?? I am wondering about the bypass in the low pressure pump?? I am curious if all the water in the crankcase may have done something down there??

nvme_63

Reaction score
He's right about testing system, snap tube can leak off the back of the pump, I wouldn't worry about lpo if its cold starting but it's easily checked by removing oil filter and cap and using an extension to press the little plunger in the bottom. Press it down and have someone crank, if the bowl fills with oil then you need to more on to the high pressure side.

And from the sounds of it you may have an injector not torqued completely allowing the hpo rail to lift and cause a leak, or a bad o-ring on a tube, or snap tube off pump as I already stated. Remove icp,, apply shop air to rail and listen for leaks when hot.

Biggsw784

Reaction score
whats the best way to test the hpos on this 03?? it has the bull**** crossover intake and my fittings wont fit into the icp hole because the exhaust up pipe is right in the way??

nvme_63

Reaction score
I may be mistaken, it's been awhile since I've done an early build, but I believe test port on hpop, command ipr duty cycle to max and it should work the same as placing it directly in rail

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.