2003 White Smoke while cranking

rman

Reaction score
Hi all, I tend to ramble so I'll *try* to stick to the facts

2003 6.0
FICM 48.5 - 49.0
New ICP
4 new injectors (small lot I bought it from says all 8, only 4 on Ford Receipt)
Stock coolers
stock head bolts
NO puking or coolant loss

Everything has been fine, just loaded up the Looney tune on Tues or Weds. First thing I notice is it starts very harshly after sitting. Starts like normal, but much harder and with black smoke.

Vivian (who, along with her crew, have been beyond awesome) asked me for a vid.
Went out this morning, and cranked forever, no start.
Tried again, and finally got her to fire up.

Video links below - Tons of white smoke during cranking.

Stiction? Glow Plugs?
What could have caused this?

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Smoke in 2nd video is not from truck :priest:

Vivian is having DJ take a look at the vids as well. From my research it looks like it's fuel related. Hopefully nothing horrible... saving up for bulletproofing right now and can't really incur too much additional expenses. My wife would castrate me.

rman

Reaction score
Also, took a 30 mile drive afterwards, got home and parked, shut down and she started right back up normally

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
I'm having the same thing with my 7.3. I'm starting with glow plugs and then moving to injectors. How cold was it out? Plug it in and see if it fires right up, mine will light off if I barely bump the starter when warm but cold it takes forever

rman

Reaction score
55* here in san diego.

someone on another forum said it could be a nicked / sliced injector o-ring, flooding my cylinder and risking hydrolock.

Super stressed out about it now. I go out of town for work tomorrow and can't really get into it, now I'm just scared to even start it.

I'm saving up for bulletproofing right now, which would be a perfect time to have the injectors looked over, but that's a few months away. I'm at a point now where my kids and work keep me super busy, so i minimize my heavy wrenching....

Sent from my Nokia 5160 using Snake

LWRC M6IC FOR SALE
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1047608

Exbomber

Reaction score
I think you have a bypasing injector there. Can you check your icp while cranking? That will rule out a HP oil leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rman

Reaction score
I think you have a bypasing injector there. Can you check your icp while cranking? That will rule out a HP oil leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 3 PIDs... not sure which one to check.

BUT I am super paranoid to crank it for fear of flooding/hydrolocking. I can't afford a new motor, it's going to take me a few months to bulletproof this thing, can't really afford any curve balls.

I know, I know, powerstroke + budget is blah blah blah lol.

Anyone venture to guess why this happened after tuning? Was running fine for the past year before then. Is there any iota that this is tune-related, or is it purely mechanical?

redneck1

Reaction score
Did you try flashing back to stock? That would rule out a tuning issue. White smoke is invariably fuel related..

rman

Reaction score
Did you try flashing back to stock? That would rule out a tuning issue. White smoke is invariably fuel related..

not yet. While that is the logical next step, I'm paranoid to crank her again in case she hydrolocks

redneck1

Reaction score
So what's the next step? You could pull the glow plugs to make sure you don't. Other than that, at some point you're going to have to start it again. I feel your pain though, buying a truck on the last pennies you have is a gambling proposition. You're going to pay to play.

rman

Reaction score
So what's the next step? You could pull the glow plugs to make sure you don't. Other than that, at some point you're going to have to start it again. I feel your pain though, buying a truck on the last pennies you have is a gambling proposition. You're going to pay to play.

honestly no idea. I leave tomorrow for a week for work, so I'll get my mind off of it. Going to talk to the guy I plan to have do my bulletproofing, and see what my options are. It can't sit very long due to the HOA. Maybe have it towed over to his shop and have him look over it while i accumulate the bulletproofing parts... but the big bullet is the $$ for labor.

You know, if I was single with no kids, I would have a 2015 platinum on 40s putting down 10,000 ft-lbs of tq per wheel. I wonder how much one of my kids is worth...

rman

Reaction score
looney fuel seems a bit rich at start up also. longer crank time, high rev, puff of black. Which is fine by me, as long as its not alerting the fire department with white smoke and flooding my cylinders with fuel. gonna see how she drives now.

thanks for the input PSA!
back to saving for bulletproofing, new underwear, and probably orings and copper seals lol.

LWRC M6IC FOR SALE

rman

Reaction score
Question for everyone -

Vivian replied to me this morning and says the startup parameters are untouched in her tunes. She says that there is likely an underlying issue that is exasperated with the higher HP tune.

What do you all think? New FICM and 4 (or more) new injectors.

She starts like a dream stock. Extended cranking and high-rev on the Quick Tricks Looney, which I have read on a few forums is somewhat common.

LWRC M6IC FOR SALE

Latest posts

Members online