2006 6.0 Studder on Acceleration

tjalbee

Reaction score
Looking for some help, 2006 F350 with a 6.0.......the truck idles a little funny upon first start up when it's cold. The bigger problem here is while driving (especially around 1500 rpm's while rolling into the throttle) it has a severe stumble/bucking. If I jump into the throttle it clears right up but as soon as it gets back down around 1500 rpm it does it again. There is a slight oil drip from somewhere and when I opened the hood the other day (while running) I noticed a mist, that smelled like oil, coming from the front of the passengers side valve cover. I'm thinking it's a high pressure oil leak somewhere in there...... I want to pull it apart and fix it but I'm looking for anyone who has any idea what might cause this so I can make sure I have the parts before I rip this thing apart. Thanks in advance......

tjalbee

Reaction score
I was hoping it's not an injector. Somebody had mentioned the possibility of the oil rail dummy plug failing and that producing the oil "mist" I'm seeing. I could try some Rev-X and see if it's stiction, maybe that will help?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
It does sound like an injector. As far as the mist, is this external with the valve cover on? If so you got bigger problems bud. Any time a valve cover comes off, i have a new dummy plug ready to go in, so if you gotta do an injector or two have em handy.

As far as your hi pressure leak question, does it start ok hot?

tjalbee

Reaction score
Yes, the mist is with the engine fully dressed and running. The truck starts OK no matter if it's hot or cold. Seems to run fine other than the 1500 rpm stumble/bucking although I feel I might be lacking a little hp that should be there. Jump in the throttle and it gets up and goes no problem, just feels like there's a little more there that I'm not getting. I'm concerned with your "bigger problems" comment, what are you thinking?

tjalbee

Reaction score
The "mist" almost looks like it's coming out of the ICP sensor, I pulled that out, cleaned it and replaced the o-ring but that didn't seem to do the trick.....

04stroker

Reaction score
Sounds like an injector starting to go bad. As far as the mist on the passanger side I would just look into a leak around your ICP sensor or the oil fill tube. Sounds like you are just seeing crankcase vapors. Really sounds like your crankcase vent may be leaking but that would be on the drivers side under the intake tube.

04stroker

Reaction score
The "mist" almost looks like it's coming out of the ICP sensor, I pulled that out, cleaned it and replaced the o-ring but that didn't seem to do the trick.....

There is also a bigger seal (not the O ring on the sensor itself) but going around the sensor to seal the valve cover around that hole for the sensor. That could be leaking.

tjalbee

Reaction score
The bigger seal your talking about, it's on the ICP sensor or actually in the opening in the valve cover?

kwelch08

Reaction score
Sounds like stiction mine did the exact same I tried everything including rev-x finally just replaced all 8.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

_simmmy

Reaction score
Have you tried running a cylinder contribution test? That will help diagnose if it is in fact an injector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayNicks

Reaction score
Did you have an update on this?

My truck is 06 f250 XL 6speed. Has 200K miles with EGR removed, straight piped and a power pup tune, runs worse without any tune installed.

I have a similar studder/bucking/overfuel with heavy white smoke at 1500-1800 rpm with erratic cylinder contribution. I have changed first 5 injectors which each seemed to help slightly then changed all 8 hoping to solve the issue. You guessed it, not solved.

-Anything above regular idle will cause cylinder missfire showing on a contribution test, but very obvious in that rpm range under load and low boost.
-The epb tube has been cleaned, sensor pigtail changed
-charger changed for a rebuilt unit
-swapped FICM with a known good one and both checked to be 48-49volts in all situations
-tried running without ICP sensor connected and no change.

Under wide open throttle there is lots of power and no hesitation but rolling into the throttle in that rpm range will cause the engine to feel like its loading up and boost does not come on. White fuel smoke from the exhaust and rougher running until its "cleaned up". Truck starts cold and hot quickly and easily.

tjalbee

Reaction score
Sorry it took me so long to post, I was unaware there were more responses. After some digging online I decided to try the seafoam in the fuel canister trick. I removed the fuel from the canister, replaced with seafom, and then fired the truck up for about 30 seconds and shut it down. I let it sit for about 2 hrs and then drove it for about 25 minutes. After getting back home I added seafoam to the oil and let it idle for about 15 minutes before draining and changing the oil. With the oil change I also added Archoil, I'm happy to say the studder/bucking has drastically decreased to the point where I don't even know if it's still happening in the slightest amount. I could just be imaging that I'm still feeling it a bit because I'm still not convinced that something g so simple could fix it. I am still having a problem with the "mist" which I am now convinced are crank case vapors. They appear right between the ICP sensor and the glow plug module, I'm going to have to start pulling things apart and investigating further

tjalbee

Reaction score
Does anyone have more detail on how to clean the EBP tube, that's something I'd like to try. Also, I bought a scan gauge 2 and am familiarizing myself with that, besides the basic monitors, is there anything I should be looking for on there that could point to a problem?

tjalbee

Reaction score
Just a little update.....got my truck back from being repaired on Saturday. 8 new injectors, new fuel pump with blue spring upgrade, and a new ICP sensor grommet (good call 04stroker). Needless to say my 6.0 runs like a champ again, smooth as glass. Wanted to thank you guys for your opinions/advice. Next up is figuring out why it's slowly sipping coolant. Mechanic friend of mine is thinking EGR cooler so I'm going to keep an eye on things for a week or two.

Latest posts

Members online