2008 6.4 questions

Brett_Stumpf

Reaction score
Hey I'm pretty new to this site. So the time has come where my dad is getting rid of his 2008 6.4 and I have the opportunity to buy it. The truck is completely stock with 64,000mi on it. The questions I have is if I do buy it I would like to just leave it stock unless it is better for the truck to do a dpf delete or egr delete or whatever. I know I'm not a big diesel head right now and I don't just want to blow black smoke to be cool. I pull a 30' camper and a skid steer once in a while with my gasser now but now that this truck came up for sale I would like to know some things about the 6.4s. The reason also that I ask these questions is one of my buddys had bought a 08 6.4 from my uncle a couple years ago it had about 80,000 miles on it all stock. And he dpf deleted, tunned some other things not exactly sure but just this winter he blew the motor on it. And the shop that put a new short block in his truck told him the motor blew because the dpf was clogged when it was stock.

So all the his being said I just want to know if these are good motors if they are taken care of stock. Or is it best to do a few mods for best reliability. All I want is reliability.

ncollins64

Reaction score
At 64k miles I wouldn't be worried. I'd buy it, then do egr and dpf delete, tune, no limit intake and maybe a no limit cold pipe and just enjoy the truck. I assume your dad has taken good care of it also so that would be a plus.

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
Whs^^^ and just get a good tow file if that's what the truck is mainly going to be used for. Gearhead writes great tunes. And if you decide to get it make sure that you service it on time! And only use OEM filters!

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
don't touch the EGR. these trucks don't **** the EGR left and right. it's not a cake-walk job, and a lot of guys have more problems after the delete than before.

tune it, put a pipe on it, and drive the thing for a couple hundred thousand.

Brett_Stumpf

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Yes my dad takes care of his stuff very well. All services always on time. It will be my daily driver and used to tow once in a while.

skobiak

Reaction score
don't touch the EGR. these trucks don't **** the EGR left and right. it's not a cake-walk job, and a lot of guys have more problems after the delete than before.

tune it, put a pipe on it, and drive the thing for a couple hundred thousand.

I'm glad someone else noticed this about deleting the EGR. My kit is sitting on the shelf in my garage until/if the coolers fail. Function has been disabled through tuning only.

johnp115

Reaction score
I'm glad someone else noticed this about deleting the EGR. My kit is sitting on the shelf in my garage until/if the coolers fail. Function has been disabled through tuning only.

Idk, the EGR on my 6.4 failed and boom hydrolocked motor 3 bent rods and a destroyed cylinder. New short block.

sootie

Reaction score

6.4 egr failures are common. on my 08 cooler cracked and it puked coolant.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
just turn it off with tuning. you can slide blocker plates in if you want. or just spend 4hrs removing it and never be able to trade it in anywhere

ckrueg

Reaction score
The egr valve is at the intake, so even when it is disabled via tuning there is still pressure and heat from the exhaust.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
my hot water pipes aren't hot to the touch until I open the valve even though there's still heat and pressure from the hot water heater

ckrueg

Reaction score
Is the outside of the cooler hot? As far as I can see the only valve is right at the intake so in theory the cooler will still have exhaust gas sitting in it which you would think would get heated.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
of course it's hot... is it hotter with 1000* exhaust gas flowing THROUGH it or bolted to an 8" long pipe with exhaust gas flowing past the entrance? :confused:

don't forget that there's still coolant flowing through the water jacket

I'll keep waiting to experience any sort of failure on any of my 6.4's before ripping the stuff off. They're way easier to sell or trade in that way :)

Latest posts

Members online