2011 6.7 question about upgrades

waynewilson417

Reaction score
i'm hoping some folks here may be able to lead me in the right direction to appropriately add some performance

i'm looking to add exhaust, intake, tuner, possibly egr delete and dpf delete and possibly some fuel system upgrades as well

as far as exhaust goes, one question i have is what size is the stock down pipe? ive been told 4 inches but i'd like to confirm that. as far as exhaust sizing (4 or 5 inch) would i want to keep my exhaust piping the same diameter as my down pipe, and what kind of sound difference would the two sizes have? i would imagine that the 5 inch would probably give a little deeper tone, but i could be wrong

i know with intakes that some people are pretty particular about what brands that they use, i am not on of these people. i have been looking at the H&S intake and it seems to offer more flow over stock compared to several Airaid and AFE models that i looked at, but it is quite a bit cheaper than some of the others and i definitely dont want to get a cheap made product.

now the big question, deletes or no deletes? my truck is still under warranty but my truck isnt my daily driver. i have a company truck to rack up all the miles on. i drive, on average about 500 miles a month in my personal truck so i'm not to concerned about anything major wearing out anytime soon as i'm very meticulous about my scheduled maintenance. one question that i have with running the deletes is which programmer would be best. of all the research ive done, i've narrowed it down between the mini maxx and the spartan. hopefully there are some spartan owners that can chime in and answer a few questions for me about it. is the spartan capable of clearing my TPMS light and is it capable of calibrating for tire size? does running with deletes really show a big difference in performance?

as far as the fuel system is concerned, would the stock fuel pump and injectors be capable of keeping up with either of these programmers on their highest settings? would they be something that i should consider upgrading or are there any other things that i should consider?

my main goal out of this is to end up with much better throttle response, adding more "safe" power, and hopefully ending up with a little bit more fuel mileage. 12.5 mpg just seems a little too low to me but i could be wrong. and i'd really like to eliminate the delay that my throttle seems to have.

if anyone would be willing to share some helpful knowlege, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

stevens6.7

Reaction score
I'm almost sure the downpipe is 4''. I know there has been some talk about the difference in the 4'' and 5'' systems. Personally I'm running the 5'' with no muffler and it has a nice tone to it.

Recently Mike (bigrpowr) of No Limit Fabrication came out with an intake that seems to be one of the better out there. Someone did a nice comparison on the No Limit intake verses some of the others on the market. I'll try to find it for you. Here you go....http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55146&highlight=Limit+intake

Lot's of people delete their trucks very early on, I personally deleted mine at 5,000 miles and have enjoyed every moment of it.

I run a minimaxx on the highest setting all the time with stock fuel and have no issues at all.

I'm sure others will chime in but I hope this helps.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
OP-

shoot me a pm and i'll walk you thru the do's and dont's , its pretty simple, just dependent on your goals .

gigabit

Reaction score
bigrpowr, can you also send me some info as well? id say im very similar to the op except that i drive it about 1-1.5k per month

im looking at sct x4 though, and maybe consider doing it next spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
A nice downpipe will change the tone and responsiveness a bit. But I have had people asking for 5" downpipes, and really anything over 3" wont accomplish anything on a stock charger due to the turbocharger outlet sizes. Im sure Mikey will get you guys cherried out. These X4 tuners kick ass

waynewilson417

Reaction score
thanks for the input guys, ive got a pretty good idea now as to the direction i'm going to tak for the results i'm looking for

Latest posts