2011 bad valves

Reaction score
So as most here know, the 2011s are suspose to have bad exhaust valves. Well my truck is a 2011. I have a crazy idea, not sure if it would work but is there anyway to look at the valves without pulling the head? as in a bore scope? The truck runs great and has not gave me any reason to doubt it. I would just like to know if my valves are cracking or cracked. That way maybe i could fix it before its to late. So has anyone attempted this?

webb06

Reaction score
It would be near impossible. The bore scope would have to go in the injector hole and literally make a complete "u" shape to look back up at the valve faces. There are bore scopes that you can control the head with but I don't think any that make a complete 180 degree turn

Stroker04

Reaction score
It would be near impossible. The bore scope would have to go in the injector hole and literally make a complete "u" shape to look back up at the valve faces. There are bore scopes that you can control the head with but I don't think any that make a complete 180 degree turn

Agreed. If there was such a product, be prepared to spend some coin!

webb06

Reaction score
Was thinking i could take it somewhere to have it done. I also thought about possibly going thru the glow plug hole?

Either hole it'll have to turn right around and basically look at what it came through. I'm not sure anything like that is even available.

Randy_270

Reaction score
How would one go about fixing the bad valves before they drop? Would you need to replace the whole head or could you just replace the valves in the head itself?

sootie

Reaction score
i think there would only be a short time between when a crack forms and when a valve drops.

if you are that paranoid, have the valves replaced.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I really wish we had some insite to see what is actually causing the failure, if its egr related or valve material ect. Im betting its manufacture error and could probably be narrowed down to assembly plant or date, but who knows. I wish there was a better answer for you bud but like stated there isnt a really good way to look up at the valves and not only that them little mirrors would sketch me out because they can be removed from the end of the camera, if it dropped... well you might as well have removed the head in the first place.

anyone know if the cylinder head problems are left or right side specific?

My cousins 13 had a knock and they replaced the left head. before failure

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Do you have to lift the cab to pull the heads? If not why not jsut pull them when you do studs and put in the aftermarket valves? If this and the turbo are the only weak link for the relatively stock pickups that might be a cheap alternative to problems down the road.

Mpoage

Reaction score
Do you have to lift the cab to pull the heads? If not why not jsut pull them when you do studs and put in the aftermarket valves? If this and the turbo are the only weak link for the relatively stock pickups that might be a cheap alternative to problems down the road.

These trucks require rods before headstuds so that would be kind of pointless. The valve problem is really only limited to the cab&chassis trucks. Sure there's been a few regular trucks eat valves but it's really not a problem. If it was we would be seeing it a lot on here

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
These trucks require rods before headstuds so that would be kind of pointless. The valve problem is really only limited to the cab&chassis trucks. Sure there's been a few regular trucks eat valves but it's really not a problem. If it was we would be seeing it a lot on here

Are the motors actually different on the cab and chassis trucks?

Or is it because those trucks might be seeing more abuse?