2012 egr help

woody8756

Reaction score
Doing full d*****s and tuning tomorrow on a guys 12 6.7. I know the bolts on the egr pipe are notorious for breaking off, my question is any suggestions to help in removal? I have a micro oxy/map gas torch I was going to use to heat the area around the bolts then hit the head with a punch and hammer then a shot of canned air to rapid cool the bolt. Hit it forward then ease it in reverse with a 1/4" impact I have to see if it'll loosen. Any other ideas or solutions you guys have any luck with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I threw some penetrating fluid to it a few times over 48 hours. Don't know what your time frame is however... Seemed To work for me, but I only had 2500 miles on the truck lol

woody8756

Reaction score
Time frame is tight lol will soak with penetrating oil as soon as we get it, work on the other things then tackle the egr, fingers crossed!

Tim1216

Reaction score
i didnt use anything and got mine off fine, my truck has 132k miles on it also. i guess i just got lucky lol the bolt on the back of the egr, now thats a different story .. mine stripped trying to get it off. it was a nightmare

Raptorgabe

Reaction score
buddy did his with 60k and they came out ! I did mine with 12k and 48 k and all of them broke lol

johnboy27

Reaction score
I sprayed mine with PB blaster for a couple weeks when I got home each day. All of them came right out. My truck had 60K miles on it when I did it.

NorthernYankee

Reaction score
I hit mine with PB in the morning and then went for a drive to heat cycle then and they all came out without issues.

hanson795

Reaction score
I did mine with 137k. Just soaked with JB80 for a day or two ahead of time. Also I found that it was easiest to get the bolt off the back if you take a ton of extensions and go at it from underneath the truck with another guy in the engine bay to help keep the socket on it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i tell all my customers , from the time you KNOW it's on its way , start spraying the bolts with pb blaster , wd40 , whatever , every night until you install. it makes a HUGE difference and makes the job very easy. i havent had a phone order customer break a bolt since i started telling them that .

Last edited:

HOUTX01X

Reaction score
Sprayed mine with PB blaster. When I started. I had one give me problems. I was able to wiggle the pipe enough to get more PB down. It came out whole.

Latest posts

Members online