2012 with 2015+ turbo swap - having issues

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Flawless. The truck runs night and day difference. No lag and very responsive now. Can't believe just a simple swap of the air intake can make such a huge difference.
But my tunes are setup for the s2 intake, my truck evidently doesn't like the intake. Probably going to have to switch it up for the s1 intake. Waiting to hear back to see if NL still has them...
I just hope I didn't shorten the life of the turbo by driving around on it this way for some time now.

I put my stock intake back on with patriot tuning. Trucks runs better and mpg went back up!

Until patriot can figure out how to make maf tuning jive with a 5" tube.... the 5" is shelved....

Now WOT... the 5" tube wins.... cruising... not so much.

Patriot is working on the final cure for the NL Stage 2 ... just haven't released the updates for it.

04cr450

Reaction score
Good to know i am not the only one out there with these issues. At least you are getting help with it, keep us posted.
I am at a stand still as I can't get help with revisions and i am having sct problems as well. Probably going to have to purchase another tuner and start over again unfortunately.

Reaction score
And how do you suggest tuning in the corrections? Sounds like a lot of guys have the exact same problem with the exact same cure.

Minzbig

Reaction score
Just a thought.... do you have the most recent update from Ford? The reason I ask is I have avoided any updates since I lost weight (2012 and 130,000 miles ago) but very similar caractistics with my sxe63 won't do anything until about 2000 rpms I've always wondered if it would run better or worse if I had any of the recalls or updates done?

sootie

Reaction score
Ford flashes mean nothing if you are running a tune...

Minzbig

Reaction score
Ford flashes mean nothing if you are running a tune...

I'm not sure that's true... follow me down a 6.0 story for a second.

Back on 05 I had a Banks tuned 6.0 truck and loved it. I brought it in for an update and after the update it drove like crap...so much that I ended up selling it out of frustration. Before the flash, it would hold 5th gear at low speeds and power was very responsive but often the flash it had no power down low and was extremely laggy.

I always thought that a aftermarket tune used the base ford program and changed it from there. But what you're saying it sounds like the truck has a fully written file from who ever has tuned it? I just can't see that as being true?

Not being argumentative here, but just starting a conversation.

sootie

Reaction score
I'm not sure that's true... follow me down a 6.0 story for a second.

Back on 05 I had a Banks tuned 6.0 truck and loved it. I brought it in for an update and after the update it drove like crap...so much that I ended up selling it out of frustration. Before the flash, it would hold 5th gear at low speeds and power was very responsive but often the flash it had no power down low and was extremely laggy.

I always thought that a aftermarket tune used the base ford program and changed it from there. But what you're saying it sounds like the truck has a fully written file from who ever has tuned it? I just can't see that as being true?

Not being argumentative here, but just starting a conversation.

Not sure what was wrong with your truck but a banks tuner is a wire in module and doesn't even flash the truck. It simply is a signal interrupter/modifier. That has no relevance at all to what is being discussed.

With h&s, sct and spartun style programmers:

Yes, all tuners start with a base factory file and modify from there. They then remove the factory file and flash that modified file to the pcm.

Minzbig

Reaction score
Not sure what was wrong with your truck but a banks tuner is a wire in module and doesn't even flash the truck. It simply is a signal interrupter/modifier. That has no relevance at all to what is being discussed.

With h&s, sct and spartun style programmers:

Yes, all tuners start with a base factory file and modify from there. They then remove the factory file and flash that modified file to the pcm.

So it doesn't use any elements of that base file? (Factory tune)

sootie

Reaction score
For banks no, for the others yes. BUT a previously saved/modified factory file, not anything to do with the one removed from your particular trucks stock file during flashing

Minzbig

Reaction score
Just a thought.... do you have the most recent update from Ford? The reason I ask is I have avoided any updates since I lost weight (2012 and 130,000 miles ago) but very similar caractistics with my sxe63 won't do anything until about 2000 rpms I've always wondered if it would run better or worse if I had any of the recalls or updates done?

So just a quick recap, if using a sct/hs style tuner a factory flash has zero relevance to drivability of these trucks. So the person building these tunes are completely rewriting a file from zero? That's a lot of work I would think?

Ive purposely avoided flashes as long as the truck is running well since my 6.0 experience. We had a F-550 at the same time that got a flash and turned it into a pos truck to drive...but that's a detail of what we're chatting about👍

Minzbig

Reaction score
For banks no, for the others yes. BUT a previously saved/modified factory file, not anything to do with the one removed from your particular trucks stock file during flashing

Ok, I understand the difference now. I guess I forgot that it wasn't a flash style system.

Minzbig

Reaction score
I'm wanting to go back to a vgt turbo.... so this topic is concerning to me. Avoiding as much lag or delay would be my goal moving back to said vgt turbo (I'm looking at the SM from Midwest)

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I'm wanting to go back to a vgt turbo.... so this topic is concerning to me. Avoiding as much lag or delay would be my goal moving back to said vgt turbo (I'm looking at the SM from Midwest)

The streetmax is an amazing setup with very
Minimal lag for towing, cruising, racing in Mexico etc...

02bigstrokin

Reaction score
I have the 64mm version street max, lifted 8", 375 nittos and I just pulled a 259D skid steer this weekend with zero issues. Pull a 28' enclosed trailer from time to time and it pulls really well. Have mini max with Morgan's tuning. Had sct with kem tunes when I put turbo on a year and a half ago and they were awful. Very very laggy, turbo surge etc. people said it was the gearing in the truck and big tires were the issue.. Nope. 100% tuning. Streetmax is a very capable all around turbo with good tuning.

Minzbig

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to getting away from this sxe turbo, it's fun on the throttle but the tuning that's needed to keep it spooled up and drivable....sucks

I'm still interested in what the OP has to say about his situation.

Reaction score
Interested to hear what you don't like about the tuning for your sxe setup. I'm running the almost identical setup to you by the looks of it with g3arhead tuning and a sxe364.5 an I don't find the tuning bad at all. I found I just had to adapt my driving style a bit, but as long as I drive responsibly and smart I get up to speed no issues and never haze or smoke unless I get on it. Also fuel mileage is a step up from where I was before.

Minzbig

Reaction score
I think the biggest issue I had from the beginning was an over sell of how a fixed vain turbo runs on our trucks. I asked what I feel were the right questions but feel I was deceived in regards to the answer (maybe over sold)

I specifically asked for a responsive turbo that built boost low but had a bit more leg on the top end...well not I know that's not how this turbo runs. I even asked if it would make 10# @ 1500rpm and I got a "yes" I also tried to get different tuning but either never had a follow up from them or was told there's nothing that can be done. Even on some issues with check engine lights I never got a response back, so I gave up on them.

So, with that out of the way.... I've had this turbo for just shy of a year and 20,000 miles. I do put a fair amount of miles on (20-30k/year) and tow regularly. My driving is almost exclusively city driving so a snappy throttle is a good thing. My goal going into it was to have a linear throttle response, one that didn't sit there (lag)and then light the world on fire in an instant...only to run out of steam in the same breath. (Stock) IMO, the 63 just isn't there. I've figured out how to drive it but that doesn't mean I like it.

I talked to Midwest about tuning and they didn't want much to do with it but encouraged me into a streemax. I may have to wait a few months to make that move, but do plan to go that direction.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.