2013 first oil change now making funny noise help

Coueshunter

Reaction score
Will do. Will take a sample of the Mobile 1 with 7500miles and compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used T6 forever and change it sooner then later at 4kidh miles. But there are a lot of smaller oil companies that make good oil.

firewalker73

Reaction score
its bottom of the barrel.. much better options out there

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

There is nothing wrong with the motorcraft oil you are getting at the dealer. Most importantly just keep up on the services.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stevens6.7

Reaction score
its bottom of the barrel.. much better options out there

live life full throttle

Hmm. I gotcha though! Thanks.
There is nothing wrong with the motorcraft oil you are getting at the dealer. Most importantly just keep up on the services.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get mine done every 5,000 miles so I think it should be okay?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I'm sure you have some documents to back that statement up?

He got that info from me. I've got samples from guys on here, but need to ask permission first. It cokes the rings more than most and that leads to higher fuel dilution and soot loading. You can PM me and I can share more.

Here's my f150. Break in oil was dumped at 500 mikes. Motorcraft 5-30 in for the first 10k. Changed to LE and the second report is at 14k on the oil. I changed it and this go around I'm going for 20k. On a gasser that's pushing it. But you can see fuel dilution is down over more miles. So is all wear, again, over 4K more miles. The real test will be 20k interval. I should have that in a couple weeks.

59895b81d62feec5a80c3aae310653c7.png

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I'm sure you have some documents to back that statement up?
documents are from jim like stated.. but i also have abused just about every oil made im my 7.3s.. yes i know its a totally different setup since its hpop vs common rail injection. but the worst oil i ran was motorcraft. i wont run anything in my 6.7 that won't last in my 7.3s.. just reassurance on my end..

live life full throttle

PDT1081

Reaction score
He got that info from me. I've got samples from guys on here, but need to ask permission first. It cokes the rings more than most and that leads to higher fuel dilution and soot loading. You can PM me and I can share more.

Here's my f150. Break in oil was dumped at 500 mikes. Motorcraft 5-30 in for the first 10k. Changed to LE and the second report is at 14k on the oil. I changed it and this go around I'm going for 20k. On a gasser that's pushing it. But you can see fuel dilution is down over more miles. So is all wear, again, over 4K more miles. The real test will be 20k interval. I should have that in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping you would chime in. I've got an oil change coming up in the next month or so. I'll be in touch.
documents are from jim like stated.. but i also have abused just about every oil made im my 7.3s.. yes i know its a totally different setup since its hpop vs common rail injection. but the worst oil i ran was motorcraft. i wont run anything in my 6.7 that won't last in my 7.3s.. just reassurance on my end..

live life full throttle

I never had a problem with it in my 7.3 is why I was asking. It went from Rotella, to Valvoline, to Motorcraft. It cold started better with Motorcraft than the other two. All three ran about the same once warm.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was hoping you would chime in. I've got an oil change coming up in the next month or so. I'll be in touch.

I never had a problem with it in my 7.3 is why I was asking. It went from Rotella, to Valvoline, to Motorcraft. It cold started better with Motorcraft than the other two. All three ran about the same once warm.

I've seen Motorcraft start better cold, but that's because it's either sheared down to a lower viscosity or fuel diluted down to a lower viscosity. I think that's what Jake is getting at, it's not holding ICP, which is correlative to vis.

Last edited:

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
No tick: MC 10w30 has been the better choice for my '15 now at 60k.
No tick: Mobil 1 5w40 does a good job but there is a noticeable difference over the oil life in MPGs.

I may try the Delo 10w30 at the next change interval. Wal Mart has a pretty decent selection of diesel oils and pricing, not to mention MC filters.

I challenge the community to try other oils and see what real results come out. You just might be surprised.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
No tick: Mobil 1 5w40 does a good job but there is a noticeable difference over the oil life in MPGs.

I may try the Delo 10w30 at the next change interval. Wal Mart has a pretty decent selection of diesel oils and pricing, not to mention MC filters.

I challenge the community to try other oils and see what real results come out. You just might be surprised.

Better MPG doesn't mean it's a better oil, it means the oil has either a lower viscosity or lower HTHS causing lower fluid friction, both translate into a weaker film strength in general. This why Ford recommends a 15-40 in severe conditions. It's a basic engineering principle. It's also why John Force uses a straight 80 weight. Lower viscosity is good for emissions, MPG, a small HP increase and generally better MRV and CCS cold start up values. But you sacrifice film strength at some point.

Jomax

Reaction score

I'll be comparing Mobil 1 5w40 to LE oil soon.

stevens6.7

Reaction score
Better MPG doesn't mean it's a better oil, it means the oil has either a lower viscosity or lower HTHS causing lower fluid friction, both translate into a weaker film strength in general. This why Ford recommends a 15-40 in severe conditions. It's a basic engineering principle. It's also why John Force uses a straight 80 weight. Lower viscosity is good for emissions, MPG, a small HP increase and generally better MRV and CCS cold start up values. But you sacrifice film strength at some point.

So Jim, what do you recommend for a 6.7 that's daily driven? Right now I only drive roughly 100 miles a week if that.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I wish I drive that much...
1500 miles a week is killing me.

Most of my 6.7 customers are loving our 5-40. I do have some running 15-40, but that's either for consolidation in a fleet or severe duty.

ckrueg

Reaction score
I wish I drive that much...
1500 miles a week is killing me.

Most of my 6.7 customers are loving our 5-40. I do have some running 15-40, but that's either for consolidation in a fleet or severe duty.

Anything wrong with 10w30 for light use?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Nope, nothing at all. Just as long as it's a cj4