2013 navigation problems......

Reaction score
I have just installed a set of American force 19.5 direct bolt ons to a 2103 f350. The wheels and tires are great and the customer was ecstatic with the outcome.

He called me Thursday and said his nav is messing up ever since the new wheels and tire were installed. He took it to ford before calling me and they told him tough sh** and that they had several 2013 complaints about the nav and bigger tires. They also told how that they can't recalibrate for those wheels and tire either.

I told him to bring it over and I put the ford IDS on it and went to adjustable parameters and right there was the option for 225/70r19.5 in the options list. Bam changed it and all is fixed right.......wrong.

The GPS is still running behind and shows him that he is not exactly where he really is. He is to the point that we are going to take the 19.5's off and put the factories back on to see if it fixes it.

My question is why doesnt it work if I programmed the correct tire size into the PCM then is there another module for the nav that needs to be programmed or calibrated too? Anyone else have 2013 wheel and tire Nav problems?

Anywayz here is some 19.5 forged wheel bling to look at!

atuhudyz.jpg

u8e3udum.jpg

Last edited:

bad12jr

Reaction score
Those look awesome. How much bigger are the tires?

To be honest there should be no effect what so ever on a GPS system from tire size. It calculates position from satellites not how many miles the truck has rolled. I think ford has a program issue with something.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

Reaction score
Those look awesome. How much bigger are the tires?

To be honest there should be no effect what so ever on a GPS system from tire size. It calculates position from satellites not how many miles the truck has rolled. I think ford has a program issue with something.

Only about 1" taller.

But why did the problem start when the tires were changed? And why did the dealer service person say that that have had this complaint before?

I'm kinda at a loss on what to do. I am going to look in to it more. I was hoping someone else has had this problem and found a solution.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Throw the stockers back on and see if that helps. I don't see how what size wheels and tires have anything to do with the nav system, but these trucks have everything so integrated its hard telling sometimes. Did he put in TPMS sensors in the new wheels? The AF wheels do look awesome

bad12jr

Reaction score
I think the tires are related. But who in there right mind would think its a good idea to integrate. Ford should be able to Change the navigation software to solve it.

Reaction score
Throw the stockers back on and see if that helps. I don't see how what size wheels and tires have anything to do with the nav system, but these trucks have everything so integrated its hard telling sometimes. Did he put in TPMS sensors in the new wheels? The AF wheels do look awesome

Duallys do not have Tpms on them they are excluded because if the gvw.

Probably going to try the stock wheels and tires just to confirm the problem is tire size related.

Reaction score
I think the tires are related. But who in there right mind would think its a good idea to integrate. Ford should be able to Change the navigation software to solve it.

Idk why it needed to be but you would think that recliabrating the PCM for the correct size would fix it. I can't imagine that the GPS isn't accurate enough by itself without the trucks actual distance being entered in by the PCM as well.

13PlatinumSD

Reaction score
The issue I am having with mine is that I'll be driving down a main road and the nav will show that I am either in the field next to the road or on the side streets. It looks like it is off by about 300 feet or so. Sometimes it will say I'm on the next street over when I am in front of my house. I only noticed these problems too once I was lifted with my 37s. I don't understand why Ford would connect GPS to tire size (if they did). That's what "G P S" is for! Should be only based on satellite positioning.

Reaction score
The issue I am having with mine is that I'll be driving down a main road and the nav will show that I am either in the field next to the road or on the side streets. It looks like it is off by about 300 feet or so. Sometimes it will say I'm on the next street over when I am in front of my house. I only noticed these problems too once I was lifted with my 37s. I don't understand why Ford would connect GPS to tire size (if they did). That's what "G P S" is for! Should be only based on satellite positioning.

That's the exact same thing this one is doing. There has to be a fix to it.

HD F250

Reaction score
Didn't Ford switch Nav supplier in 13's? Just a guess here, but in the aviation world antennae position and standard that equipment has been built to plays a huge part in accuracy and whether system can even be certified.

My car Garmin GPS does same thing and I have free updates and it still does it. Good luck and keep us posted on solution.

cowtown

Reaction score
Same issue here. Started when I lifted the truck. Had the stock wheels for a week when I noticed it. Stealership said Ford has no reports of the issue but I should wait for an FW update. Typical blow off.

Pretty much sucks considering the larger head unit is why I waited for 2013.

Also any one notice how bad the sound system sounds using Sirius radio? I was just getting estimates to replace the speakers when one of the shops pointed out that other media sounds better (iPhone, FM, CD). Hmmmm...

crowz

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I know pioneer on their head units with gps uses vehicle speed to "guess" your location from time to time. The feature is designed to deal with tunnels and such. Sounds like that factory head unit is doing the same thing. If it is then it will take either a firmware update for the radio or just reseting power to the radio. Id bet undoing the battery wire for a bit will fix it. Worth a try since its a free fix if it works.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
whats odd to me is that the 2013s are doing it but yet my 2011 with a 37" tire has no issues at all, i thought it was all the same stuff from 11 - 13 except for the fact that head unit was bigger and the buttons changed a little. Sounds like some software changed too and thats whats causing the problem.

any of you guys think you can down load 2011 nav info on to the 2013 head unit and solve the issue that way?

im no computer guru so im clueless on if that can work or not

WHY NOT

Reaction score
whats odd to me is that the 2013s are doing it but yet my 2011 with a 37" tire has no issues at all, i thought it was all the same stuff from 11 - 13 except for the fact that head unit was bigger and the buttons changed a little. Sounds like some software changed too and thats whats causing the problem.

any of you guys think you can down load 2011 nav info on to the 2013 head unit and solve the issue that way?

I believe the ford my touch systems that is in the 13's are a completely different operating system that is integrated into the PCM

12stroker

Reaction score
When I went to St. Louis last year I rented a ford flex it had the my touch in it and the GPS was off on the car so I could emagine what it's like on a truck.

cowtown

Reaction score

Matt is correct, the 13's have My Ford Touch, a completly different unit than the previous years. The touch system has been in other models for years and has not been a very good system. So much for thinking the next generation would be improved!

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Do what I did, jab the hangup button with your finger, get pissed because it's not responding and jab it harder....crrrraaaaacccckkkkkkkkkk.

Hmm, maybe not such a good idea.

Off to the stereo shop for a Kenwood.

That was an expensive lesson in touch screen strength.

cowtown

Reaction score
Do what I did, jab the hangup button with your finger, get pissed because it's not responding and jab it harder....crrrraaaaacccckkkkkkkkkk.

Hmm, maybe not such a good idea.

Off to the stereo shop for a Kenwood.

That was an expensive lesson in touch screen strength.

Surprised I haven't done the same thing! :cursing:

Latest posts

Members online