2013+ steering gearbox in older trucks

06 6.0 powerstroke

Reaction score
Ok guys I’m getting real close on having my 2015 steering gear installed in my 06 f-350!
I’m having one last issue with pressure hose from hydro boost to steering gear. The pressure port on 2015 steering gear box is about .180 deeper than 2006 steering box so fitting on hose won’t thread in deep enough to seal!
Did anyone else run into this?
What hose have you had luck with?

jingram

Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread again... I have a new to me 2000 7.3 with manual transmission and transfer case. Total creampuff and would love to keep it for the long haul. Have sunk a fair amount into it already redoing the front and rear axles, wheel bearings, TREs, etc. However, I still have a fair amount of slop in the steering. Was going down the road of a Redhead/BlueTop until I stumbled onto this thread. I have been through it multiple times now, but information is a bit all over the place and since there is no FAQ, not sure I am quite following.

Is there a complete parts list including workable pitman arm for these older trucks or do I need to swap over to 05+ axles to make this work? That really isn't in the cards for me, but am concerned that the Bluetop or Redhead is just a bandaid fix.

06 6.0 powerstroke

Reaction score
Gates 365892 is the hose I used on my 06 truck.
My 06 drives great with new 15 steering box installed from rockauto.
One other thing I ran into was the new steering box mounting holes are blind holes so I had to shorten new bolts up some so they wouldn’t bottom out.

13fist

Reaction score
Did anyone install in 99-04? I blew another powersteering hose. Think I'm going to order the Lee Powersteering Conversion.
Yes, mines an '01.
If all you want is a better hose that eliminates the C-clip, there is a banjo bolt to AN/JIC that fits the ford ps pump. I do not have the spec on it any longer but I think it is an M14 thread. I got no ragerts going with the lee pump, but it isn't getting any cheaper. I still think it is the best bolt-on option available.
Gates 365892 is the hose I used on my 06 truck.
My 06 drives great with new 15 steering box installed from rockauto.
One other thing I ran into was the new steering box mounting holes are blind holes so I had to shorten new bolts up some so they wouldn’t bottom out.
What bolts did you use? First I think I have heard of it. Maybe the '06 frame is narrower there? :unsure:

13fist

Reaction score
Yes I think its $1100 now. What did you use for fluid?
GAWLY. and to think I was a bit skittish at spending $600ish.
I ran ac delco fluid for the first few weeks. I did this to flush out the tranny fluid remaining in the system. Even though I drained it, the fluid stayed pinkish until a couple of gallons had been run through it.
After that, I ordered the LEE stuff. Honestly, I only switched to the lee fluid in case something went wrong I'd have "I used all your stuff" on my side of a warranty issue. I cannot tell any performance differences between theirs and the cheap stuff. I keep a jug of the ac delco on hand in case I spring a leak or something.

bred904

Reaction score
I have a super duty parts yard, so I don’t buy them new, but I can get you part numbers or sell you what you need.

Connection at the steering column is the same. 08 was a split year from what I have found on the splined connection, but most seem to be non-splined from late 08 on.

On edit: This is one of the first things that popped up on google for me.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...MIzI7G0dSp4AIVRp7ACh0HigDSEAQYAiABEgJ0dfD_BwE

That is only the lower half but that blow out shows both pieces and the boot.

On 2nd edit. Quick search on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/p/Ford-OEM-Steering-Shaft-9C3Z3B676A-Image-5/1811144060

My guess is the 7c part numbers are splined lower halves and 9c are all going to be smooth.

Going roughly off what I see there I can probably sell the steering shafts for $150 shipped if anyone has any interest. That would be from column to box and include the firewall boot.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm interested in au updated steering shaft from you if you have any

tomlin

Reaction score
For the 99-04 crowd, the best way to go is the PSC SG-752R. The box is basically a newer box machined for the 99-04 36 spline pitman arm. It comes with a new high side hose. It uses the factory bolts and steering shaft. It a bit pricy but its plug and play and solves the mismatched parts issues.

rescuejg

Reaction score
For the 99-04 crowd, the best way to go is the PSC SG-752R. The box is basically a newer box machined for the 99-04 36 spline pitman arm. It comes with a new high side hose. It uses the factory bolts and steering shaft. It a bit pricy but its plug and play and solves the mismatched parts issues.
"newer box". Is it the same as a 2015 box, which is much larger?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

13fist

Reaction score
That could be a good find for some folks. Those committed to staying with a dana 50 anyway.
If it's using the original mounting bolts, it's not likely the newer box that mounts with 16mm bolts.
Maybe a non-issue but I don't know if I would want more steering force and not upgrade the hardware.

rescuejg

Reaction score
That could be a good find for some folks. Those committed to staying with a dana 50 anyway.
If it's using the original mounting bolts, it's not likely the newer box that mounts with 16mm bolts.
Maybe a non-issue but I don't know if I would want more steering force and not upgrade the hardware.
Agree if it's not using the larger bolts then it's likely not "newer" meaning the larger box.

Also, isnt the sector shaft on the newer boxes larger? If so, i doubt they are machining it smaller.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

13fist

Reaction score
Yeah, the sector shaft on the 11-16 boxes is HUGE by comparison. Another consideration when increasing the steering force, as with any upgrade the next link in the chain has to be upgraded as well or it becomes the new failure point. Hopefully, they would be using a completely new shaft made for this purpose as opposed to cutting them down which could lead to stress risers. It is still possible this is a good box, but I don't have enough information one way or the other.
A stock rig looking for something better daily driving? probably fine.

tomlin

Reaction score
I have the Dana 60 front axle. All of the 99-04 Duallies had them. It is a massive box compared to the OE gear box. I can't say for sure what the internals are like but it has the six bolt sector gear cover. The sector gear where it leaves the box is larger than the OEM unit.
psc-sg752r-w-hose_img_5849_rs_600x800.png

Last edited:

Louh91360

Reaction score
I have the Dana 60 front axle. All of the 99-04 Duallies had them. It is a massive box compared to the OE gear box. I can't say for sure what the internals are like but it has the six bolt sector gear cover. The sector gear where it leaves the box is larger than the OEM unit. View attachment 187059
Has anyone installed this box (PSC upgraded box) or compared it to a 2011+ box? I'm on my 2nd redhead in my 02 and need to do something. I don't mind purchasing the PSC box, if it's up to the job. I don't want another problem in the future.

Last edited:

ncollins64

Reaction score
I’m not sure on the 11-12, but I just put a brand new 2016 steering box in my early 08 with a borgson shaft and it’s 100% bolt in and a huge improvement. I would think all 6.7 boxes from 11-16 would be the same? Only thing I had to get was the 3 bolts for a 2016 as well, the threads are larger than the 08 bolts.

Jomax

Reaction score
Just got all the parts but the steering shaft from ford to install this on a 2007 F-250. Will post results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online