2015 pics and 500 miles review

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
First I'll say my 2011 that I had was a great truck.

Now first thing I noticed on the '15 is how much harder the truck pulls under heavy acceleration. Waaaaay better than the '11. From 5mph to 95 no loss of pull, acceleration, or flat spots like the '11. If I want or need to pass someone one the HWY just press the throttle and I am gone. The '15 runs like my 11 on a medium hp tune but better, since I believe the transmission/ torque converter upgrades Ford did really helped a lot. Plus I live at 6200ft and go up from there which is where the 11-14 trucks struggled a bit at altitude, so some could be that.

The exhaust brake works great, I can come off Teton Pass, which if you have drove it you know what I am talking about, in 3rd gear at 40 mph never touch the brakes empty. Have not had the chance to try with a trailer yet. My '11 I had to be in 2nd and giving fuel, drove off at 4000 rpm and 40 mph, since 3rd was free wheel and 80 mph.

For those who may not know of Teton Pass. It starts out at 6200ft tops out around 9000ft and is almost completely 10% grade up and down, roughly 8-10 miles total.

Fuel mileage seems to want to stay around 15 which is a bit disappointing since the '11 would regularly see around 18-20 mpg HWY. Hopefully the mileage comes up a bit once things break in and loosen up.

So far though seems to a good upgrade from the '11.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    617.6 KB · Views: 184
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    580 KB · Views: 171
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    545.8 KB · Views: 150
Reaction score
I've got 4k on mine. I like it so far.

But I'm still averaging less than 13mpg. What are you seeing realistically hand calculated? Not putzing around just normal driving, because that's the mileage that actually counts.

Seems down a mpg or so to my other older 6.7's.

Power is good though. Made 380/725 at the rear wheels which is pretty impressive stock.

01PSD

Reaction score
What is up with these mpgs? That's pathetic... I get that it's a truck yada yada... but these numbers so far are horrible for the '15

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
On the lie o-meter I've been hovering in at the 15-15.5 range. I have not hand calculated yet. That mileage is all hwy 60-70mph. With lots of 50-95 mph passing/ just hammering on it. I am hoping the mileage comes up for sure, since my '11 got 18-20 all day at those speeds. I took the truck on a 350 mile drive this past Saturday first to get some miles on it and second to see how the mileage did. Went through 2 regens in that mileage.

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
Also my 11 had a Icon 2.5" lift/ level, that I had the rear springs re-arched to sit about 1" higher than the front. It might seem odd but I think the '11 got a little bit better fuel mileage after adding the 2.5". But that was almost 4 years ago now so can't be 100% on that statement. Since I added that around 5000 miles.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Did your 11 get great mileage right off the bat? My first 11 never got good mileage, (sold it at 3700 miles because it was a piece). Our 2nd one took till about 18K and kept going up till we sold it, our 12 took till about 16-17k and it kept getting better until we sold it. Neither of our 13's have broken 10k, and they arent doing any better than ever.

My 15 has like 875 miles on it and is averaging 15.9mpg, I hope it gets better, but I doubt it will till 16k+..

Just my 6.7 experiences.. give it time

Big-Foot

Reaction score
My old 6.9 did not start getting much better economy until it had a good 20k on it.. That engine was very tight, but a hard working son of a gun..

Big-Foot

Reaction score
The other thing that I forgot to add was that the harder I worked that engine, the more it liked it and the better it ran going forward.. Seems like it took forever for the rings to totally seat. I would think that today's engines had already had the rings seated while being dyno tested.

Sled - that is one handsome truck....

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
Did your 11 get great mileage right off the bat? My first 11 never got good mileage, (sold it at 3700 miles because it was a piece). Our 2nd one took till about 18K and kept going up till we sold it, our 12 took till about 16-17k and it kept getting better until we sold it. Neither of our 13's have broken 10k, and they arent doing any better than ever.

My 15 has like 875 miles on it and is averaging 15.9mpg, I hope it gets better, but I doubt it will till 16k+..

Just my 6.7 experiences.. give it time

No it did not get very good right out of the gate. Had to go to Sterling Colorado to go pick it up since the dealer at the time had another dealer ship there that they pulled the order from. No one could figure out how to get it to me due to Labor Day weekend. So u went down (700-800 ish) miles and got it. Driving back on I 80 at 80-85 mph plowing at least a 50 mph head wind the entire way to Rocksprings, the best I could get for mileage was 13.5 mpg.

Then over the next few weeks driving at 60-65 mph roads it seemed to settle in. And in town it was getting 15-16. Which eventually dropped a bit to 14-15.

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
The other thing that I forgot to add was that the harder I worked that engine, the more it liked it and the better it ran going forward.. Seems like it took forever for the rings to totally seat. I would think that today's engines had already had the rings seated while being dyno tested.

Sled - that is one handsome truck....

Thanks

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
my 13' averages about 11 around town! don't hate... some people just get lucky LOL