2015 Platinum 3.5" lift with driveline Shudder/Vibration

W219cls55

Reaction score
Hey guys, just a little tip from my experience after I did a 3.5" lift on my Platinum. 3.5" front and 5" tapered block in the rear. Well I finished the lift and took it for a drive of course well while entering highway I gave it 3/4 of the throttle from 20-70mph and at around 55mph I felt a fine vibration that I had never felt before. Mind you I've had 4 superduty's from 2004(6.0)with 12" lift and 40"tires, 2005 Harley Edition same lift and tires, 2008(6.4) 8" rize 4 link, 2010 Harley Edition 6.4 w/ 4.5 stage 2 icon. And NONE OF THE EVER EVER HAD ANY TYPE OF VIBRATION. So, This truck with only a 3.5" and driveline vibration!? I was not too happy. First thing I did was put factory tires and wheels to see if it would go away but no luck. So it wasn't the wheels and tires. I started to think maybe we bent transfercase shaft or pinion but that wasn't the issue. I ended up taking it to the ford and the mechanic recommended I put factory wheels and tires(so i did) and he ended up rebuilding the whole differential and that didn't fix it. I ended up ordering some shims for the pinion angle. 2 degree and 4 degree. The 2 degree reduced it by 50% so we stacked the 4 degree making it 6 degrees and that FINALLY CURED IT and ordered flat PMF 4.5" blocks that get here tomorrow.

In CONCLUSION:
If you have a one-piece driveshaft I recommend FLAT BLOCKS and not TAPERED. Hope this helps and sorry for the bad grammar but I am typing from my phone lol

Last edited:

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Hmm interesting. My 14 F350 Platinum must have the 5" flat blocks then since I do not have this vibration after the install of the 3.5" kit...

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
There's a reason driveline angles should be matched...and you just found it.

under construction

Reaction score
Thats strange. I have a tappered 4" block in the rear of mine, been in there for 50,000 miles with no issues. I have been considering going to a 5" tappered and traction bars because it sits a bit lower in the rear than I like. Whos rear blocks?

14ccd

Reaction score
Hmm, I got the same vibration with just a 4 inch block on my dually.

under construction

Reaction score
I think it has a lot to do with the length of drive line among many other things. OP who manufactured the blocks and what cab and bed configuration do you have?

14ccd

Reaction score
After reading again the first post my vibration occurs when I first leave from a stop, or at low speeds like when turning a corner then accelerating then goes away after 20mph. I thought it might be axle wrap but maybe not.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
It has everything to do with the relationship of the pinion to the tailshaft with a 1 piece driveshaft.

14ccd

Reaction score
My truck is a crew cab long bed so I have a two piece driveshaft but the principal still applies.

W219cls55

Reaction score
Hmm interesting. My 14 F350 Platinum must have the 5" flat blocks then since I do not have this vibration after the install of the 3.5" kit...
ok, What about the driveshaft, is it a one piece ot 2 piece with carrier bearing.

Thats strange. I have a tappered 4" block in the rear of mine, been in there for 50,000 miles with no issues. I have been considering going to a 5" tappered and traction bars because it sits a bit lower in the rear than I like. Whos rear blocks?
I ordered 2 sets: 1-4.5" PMF and 1-5"Icon. I'm gonna try the 4.5" first because I have the firestone ride rite and it's much more time consuming to disassemble and reassemble. So, if with the 4.5" it sits too short from rear I will do the 5".

Hmm, I got the same vibration with just a 4 inch block on my dually.
Is yours a 2 piece or a 1 piece driveshaft?

I think it has a lot to do with the length of drive line among many other things. OP who manufactured the blocks and what cab and bed configuration do you have?
The ones I have currently? Pro comp 5" blocks. The new ones PMF 4.5"and Icon 5"
After reading again the first post my vibration occurs when I first leave from a stop, or at low speeds like when turning a corner then accelerating then goes away after 20mph. I thought it might be axle wrap but maybe not.
Do you have carrier bearing?
It has everything to do with the relationship of the pinion to the tailshaft with a 1 piece driveshaft.
Yes it sure does! It took me 1 month of trial and error.

W219cls55

Reaction score
Oh shoot!!! I can't believe I forgot to mention that I even went and bought a new HD ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT because the slip yoke was "supposedly" sticking out too much and It was probably the one causing the driveline vibration. Set me back $880 dollars! Heres a pic of the slip yoke sticking out about an inch more.
9563457F-287A-49D6-BA61-4B4FA153B248.jpg

Latest posts

Members online