2015 Ultimate Lariat - New to Diesels with Lots of Questions

c63 AMG

Reaction score
Just like the title says - complete newbie to diesels but trying to figure it out. Last turbo car was an EVO X and currently have a C63 which brings me to my first question.

1. Brakes - after driving the C63 the truck breaks suck. I don't expect sport car performance but they seem inadequate. Will just pads improve performance or do I need larger calipers and new rotors?

2. Exhaust - What's the difference or reason for going for a 5" downpipe exhaust over 4"? From what I gathered the downpipe is 4" so it seems to me 4" would perform better. Is a straight through exhaust that much louder than with a muffler under normal driving? What about exhaust fumes do they get in the cabin? I have two small kids and they are my concern with fumes.

4. Tune - Is SCT X4 the go to tuner? Can I monitor EGT's with this tuner or do I need another device? If that's not the "go to tuner" what is?

5. Tunes - PIP seems to be the most popular is that correct? I would like to have a "stock" tune then the performance tunes if possible.

6. EGR - When you do a DPF delete and tune is a EGR block/delete mandatory? Honestly I don't even know what it does seems like it reroutes the exhaust?

7. Intake - No Limit 6.7 Stage 2 is clearly the #1 choice on this forum.

8. Suspension - Have the FX4 and it rides like crap. Bilsteins 5100 seem like a good option along with Pro Comp single or dual steering stabilizer. Am I on the right track here?

My priorities for this truck are reliability/safety then performance. Just to make sure I have my basis covered for performance the basics seem to be: downpipe back exhaust, intake, EGR block (don't want to delete) and tune. Am I missing anything?

No plans for lift because I have to get my kids in and out they are only two. Think thats all for now and yes I have been searching these things just easier for me to keep track if it's all in one thread.

Thanks!

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Just like the title says - complete newbie to diesels but trying to figure it out. Last turbo car was an EVO X and currently have a C63 which brings me to my first question.

1. Brakes - after driving the C63 the truck breaks suck. I don't expect sport car performance but they seem inadequate. Will just pads improve performance or do I need larger calipers and new rotors?

It's an 8000lb truck....the brakes are fine for what it is. There's nothing on the market regardless of size that will recreate the braking a small sports car can do.

2. Exhaust - What's the difference or reason for going for a 5" downpipe exhaust over 4"? From what I gathered the downpipe is 4" so it seems to me 4" would perform better. Is a straight through exhaust that much louder than with a muffler under normal driving? What about exhaust fumes do they get in the cabin? I have two small kids and they are my concern with fumes.

4" is fine. Straight piped the 5" will be louder. With kids I doubt you want that. 4" with a straight through muffler is perfect, a little tone at WOT but stock like when cruising. Exhaust fumes aren't a concern with either.

4. Tune - Is SCT X4 the go to tuner? Can I monitor EGT's with this tuner or do I need another device? If that's not the "go to tuner" what is?

The X4 is about all there is right now. Contact Mike at No Limit for your options.

5. Tunes - PIP seems to be the most popular is that correct? I would like to have a "stock" tune then the performance tunes if possible.

Again, call Mike.

6. EGR - When you do a DPF delete and tune is a EGR block/delete mandatory? Honestly I don't even know what it does seems like it reroutes the exhaust?

Not mandatory but 99% of people do the whole EGR delete anyway.

7. Intake - No Limit 6.7 Stage 2 is clearly the #1 choice on this forum.

Stage 1 is fine for your needs.

8. Suspension - Have the FX4 and it rides like crap. Bilsteins 5100 seem like a good option along with Pro Comp single or dual steering stabilizer. Am I on the right track here?

Look at Fox 2.0

My priorities for this truck are reliability/safety then performance. Just to make sure I have my basis covered for performance the basics seem to be: downpipe back exhaust, intake, EGR block (don't want to delete) and tune. Am I missing anything?

Looks like a solid plan. Call No Limit.

No plans for lift because I have to get my kids in and out they are only two. Think thats all for now and yes I have been searching these things just easier for me to keep track if it's all in one thread.

Thanks!

Answers in red..........

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
yep , pretty much what numnuts ^^^^ said.

gimme a call i can walk you thru any and all options, everything in stock , best prices around . 805-908-2017

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Add 4000 pounds to your C63 and see how well it stops and if your car has the p31 package see how long your $1000+ 2 piece rotors last. It's a truck it will stop like one.

c63 AMG

Reaction score
Add 4000 pounds to your C63 and see how well it stops and if your car has the p31 package see how long your $1000+ 2 piece rotors last. It's a truck it will stop like one.

I realize it's a truck and I never said I expect it to stop like the C63. Yes it has P31 and rotors are a hell of a lot more than 1k unfortunately (but they are awesome). Anyway I said I wanted better breaking performance not performance equal to my car. I see they make big break kits so I will check them out.

I see there is a SCT X4 and SCT Liverwire. Is the difference between the two the interface?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I've added brake kits to these things including the ssbc 8 piston front calipers. They stop better but the braking gained wasn't equal to the cost. I had a Ram with 16" rotors w/8 piston calipers in front and 15" rotors in back w/4 piston calipers. $8500 worth of brakes...it still generally stopped like a truck. Save your money would be my honest advice. I've spent stupid amounts of money upgrading brakes on trucks and never felt like I got my money's worth.

c63 AMG

Reaction score
I've added brake kits to these things including the ssbc 8 piston front calipers. They stop better but the braking gained wasn't equal to the cost. I had a Ram with 16" rotors w/8 piston calipers in front and 15" rotors in back w/4 piston calipers. $8500 worth of brakes...it still generally stopped like a truck. Save your money would be my honest advice. I've spent stupid amounts of money upgrading brakes on trucks and never felt like I got my money's worth.

Thanks for the advice that's exactly what I was looking for in regards to brakes. You mentioned Fox 2.0 shocks, do you think that's overkill for a truck that won't be going go off road? Will I see the benefit/worth the money over Bilstein 5100? I don't even have anything to tow...

uga33

Reaction score
After putting Fox 2.0s on a truck last weekend and doing a set of Bilsteins tonight, it's worth the upgrade to the Fox shocks.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Everyone I know that has run both puts the Fox on top. They're about the same price point.

Notneb

Reaction score
Here's my recommended upgrades if you want reliability and driveability:
Suspension: already covered, Fox 2.0 or better. I personally went with Carli full suspension. UPGRADE YOUR STEERING STABILIZER!!! The ball joints and stock stabilizers are less than adequate on these trucks...

Exhaust: 4 or 5 inch, doesn't really matter sound wise due to the nature of the VGT turbos, they're very quiet unless at WOT. I have a 5" dp back straight pipe and it's very quiet compared to my 2008 cummins with a muffler.

Intake: S&B if you want quiet and cheap. No Limit stage 2 if you want loud and massive flow. Also get the H&S cold side intercooler pipe replacement, the plastic stock pipe is a time bomb.

EGR Delete: up to you, I had to do it because I replaced all my intake and intercooler piping. Gets rid of 50lbs of metal and cleans up the engine bay.

CCV delete: DO THIS!!! You would not even begin to believe how much oil is getting into your intake!!! It's a cheap mod and worth every penny!!!

Tuner: I'd wait to see what Spartan has coming, supposedly they're a month from releasing 2015 tuning. As of right now SCT x4 is your only tuner option, and there's much to be desired...

That's my .2!!!

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I realize it's a truck and I never said I expect it to stop like the C63. Yes it has P31 and rotors are a hell of a lot more than 1k unfortunately (but they are awesome). Anyway I said I wanted better breaking performance not performance equal to my car. I see they make big break kits so I will check them out.

I see there is a SCT X4 and SCT Liverwire. Is the difference between the two the interface?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Yeah when I had to get them they were right at $1200 a piece plus $200 for the pads. Minus the hard steering when on the brakes I like the hydro boost brakes on my 08 they seem to be a little more responsive.

Mikeyfitz

Reaction score
0108105D-A799-419F-B8DA-6730DF11E705_zpsyilzznlu.jpg

Very happy with my Fox setup. Drives 100x better than stock and the truck is 8" and 37s

CMCx2012

Reaction score
I have the above Fox setup on my Carli level kit, LISTEN TO MIKEYFITZ! Also, the NL products are worth your time and money, and that is that.

The advice on this thread about the CCV and EGR delete is not hype. My .02 is simply that you (and your motor) will be happy with it in the long run. As for exhaust, I chose the MBRP full 4" stainless and it is perfect. Elite Diesel Engineering took care of the intake as it is part of the Hi-Power turbo upgrade kit that I purchased.

I was in the same boat (Z06, BMW 550) as you are in regards to the brakes. I searched, asked, and searched some more about the available brake upgrades to this truck. Again, listen to the forum members here when they dish out their personal experiences and recommendations!

If you need any of the components above, I recommend contacting Mike (No Limit)-Josh (Diesel Cartel) -Chris (smokinstroker) for all of your needs :)

Last edited:

Mikeyfitz

Reaction score
^ sound advice! I haven't done CCV yet but I need to lol.

I went 5" straight pipe from FLO PRO, and it's very quiet except at WOT

c63 AMG

Reaction score
What's a CCV delete - what exactly am I deleting? Also do you guys recommend a dual or single steering stabilizer? Will I notice an improvement over a single if so I would rather go dual. I saw Spartan was coming out with something but I hate to be the guinea pig.

Notneb

Reaction score
CCV: Crank Case Vent. The stock system basically collects the vapors *vaporized oil* and injects it back into the air intake for emissions reasons. This means you get A LOT of oil in your intake. My truck had 3000 miles on it when I did the delete and there was easily a teaspoon of oil in my intercooler piping, turbo intake, and air intake. The CCV kit deletes all this and basically just replaces it with a hose that dumps the vapors to the outside air.

As far as dual vs. single steering stabilizers, I've had both, no noticeable difference. Save your money and go with a single. I recommend Carli, they have a nice high mount single for 250 bucks.

As far as Spartan, you'd be more of a "guinea pig" using SCT because Spartan does a TON more R&D. They've been refining their tunes for years now, so I'd feel more comfortable using their setup than my current SCT setup. In fact as soon as they release their platform, I'll be switching to them. I just couldn't wait, so I went with the SCT for now.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.