2nd and 6th gear problems

1tonpower

Reaction score
i posted a while ago about my trans having issuses..i have been driving the truck around town once in awhile just so it isnt sitting. when its cold and i drive with a light foot it will shift 1,2,3,5,6 and i can drive on the highway. when i drive slow like that and it shifts 2nd you can hear something in the trans..sounds mataic for lack of a better way of saying it. when it shifts 3rd i can give it power and will shift 5th and then TC lock..when i back out of the throttle 6th will slam in hard...when then truck worms up most of the shifts are 1,3,5,tcl in 5th after about 50.

what hard part could be broken to cause this. other then the banging in 2nd and 6th then trans still puts the power to the ground nicely,. im headed to afagan this spring. if i can fix this for a few hundred i will. and get a trans when i get back.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
hear something in the trans..sounds mataic for lack of a better way of saying it.
I have no idea what that means. I've never heard of mataic.

Second and sixth gear both are engaged by applying the overdrive clutch. Your problem could be the overdrive clutch or the overdrive clutch solenoid.

1tonpower

Reaction score
I have no idea what that means. I've never heard of mataic.

Second and sixth gear both are engaged by applying the overdrive clutch. Your problem could be the overdrive clutch or the overdrive clutch solenoid.

typo...metallic?

1tonpower

Reaction score
ive replace the OD solenoid already..no change. i was getting the OD solenoid code before i canged it. on my livewire it will show 2nd on the display but will hesitate shifting into 2nd..you hear the noise when it shifts into 2nd.. sometimes it will show 2nd gear change and when you fell the shift if goes into 3rd and you dont hear that noise.

are there any hard parts that could brake that would cause this

1tonpower

Reaction score
asides from solinods and wires..is there any hard part that can be broken..sprague clutch maybe?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Since there are no sprag clutches in this trans I'll say no, that's not your problem. There are mechanical diode one way clutches. They either work or they don't. If they don't work you're not going anywhere.

Second and sixth are the two gears that use the overdrive clutch. It could be the overdrive clutch solenoid, or a problem in the overdrive clutch itself.

1tonpower

Reaction score
Since there are no sprag clutches in this trans I'll say no, that's not your problem. There are mechanical diode one way clutches. They either work or they don't. If they don't work you're not going anywhere.

Second and sixth are the two gears that use the overdrive clutch. It could be the overdrive clutch solenoid, or a problem in the overdrive clutch itself.

thanks...ill baby the truck till i leave this spring and fix it when i get back

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.