30psi ICP= dead excursion! Help please

ktmrider

Reaction score
I'm about ready to give up on my favorite excursion. It died several months ago and due to my lack of time to work on it, the diagnosis has been slow but here is the situation.....

2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 119,000 miles
It died on us as we were heading on a trip. So I towed it home. 1st thing I did was change the Cam Pos Sensor because it had the code calling it "intermittent". I believe that code was thrown due to my excessive cranking. That didn't solve the problem. So I used my scanner and found that under cranking my ICP pressure would start at zero and after about 8 seconds only build to 30-35psi. I pulled out the pressure sensor and put my mechanical guage on it to verify that my pressure was literally almost zero. It told me the same thing. So I thought IPR, or HPOP. I swapped IPRs with my 2002 f350 (that runs) and still no start. I then swapped pumps. The Excursion had a stealth srp1.1 and my f350 had an adrenaline pump. I swapped them and the f350 started right up with the stealth pump, but my ex is still dead now with the adrenaline. I replaced my ipr pigtail on the ex. Still no start. I tested the voltage to the wires on the IPR pigtail and I get the same readings on them as I do on my F350 (that runs). (The red wire shows just under 12 volts with the key on and yellow wire showed .3 volts with key on). Then I tested my low pressure oil pump. After cranking a few seconds I get up to 60 psi. So I believe that my low pressure pump is good aswell.
I AM RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS? SUGGESTIONS? I AM ABOUT READY TO TAKE IT TO A SHOP AND THAT REALLY HURTS MY PRIDE:)
The only thing that keeps coming into my mind is that when I unplug the IPR on my f350 it wont start or build icp pressure like my ex. So essentially my ex acts like the ipr is unplugged..... but I tested the voltage and it shows good? If there is more accurate testing measures than what I have done or more test please share! Thanks sooo much in advance

jaybuller

Reaction score
does it buzz out good? the only thing I can think of is a completely blown out oring on an injector letting all the HPOP oil psi out.... did you pull your valve covers? hell you may just have one of the oil rail plugs under there came loose and all your oil psi is going into the valve covers...

bad12jr

Reaction score
does it buzz out good? the only thing I can think of is a completely blown out oring on an injector letting all the HPOP oil psi out.... did you pull your valve covers? hell you may just have one of the oil rail plugs under there came loose and all your oil psi is going into the valve covers...

My first thought as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

golfer

Reaction score
remove valve covers.

clean/mop up any oil sitting down by the valve springs in the head cavity

unplug all 8 injectors.

have someone crank the truck.

see where the oil comes from...replace injectors/o-rings as necessary.

Charles

Reaction score
get a #6 ORB plug, disconnect the hpop lines from the pump one at a time, plug one port in the pump and crank the truck then do the same with the other. When you do the one to the driver's side head, unplug the ICP sensor so the PCM will run in default.

If the truck fires on 4 cylinders at any time, then you have isolated the problem to the OTHER head. In which case I'd start looking at injector spill spouts, then if they're all dry, start pulling injectors and looking at O-rings.

Wouldn't be surprised if you had a poppet hung

ktmrider

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I just ran the buzz test and they all sounded good and loud. I will pull valve covers and look. thanks!

ktmrider

Reaction score
get a #6 ORB plug, disconnect the hpop lines from the pump one at a time, plug one port in the pump and crank the truck then do the same with the other. When you do the one to the driver's side head, unplug the ICP sensor so the PCM will run in default.

If the truck fires on 4 cylinders at any time, then you have isolated the problem to the OTHER head. In which case I'd start looking at injector spill spouts, then if they're all dry, start pulling injectors and looking at O-rings.

Wouldn't be surprised if you had a poppet hung

Thanks for this advice! I bought a plug and it started when I had the passenger side plugged off. This is a break through for me beings it hasn't even tried to start for months. When I plug the drivers side it wouldn't start. So I guess next step I will pull the passenger side valve cover and inspect. All I have done under the valve covers before is glow plugs so any specific advice on what Im looking for would be appreciated. I will go pull the covers now. Thanks again!!

mandkole

Reaction score
Thanks for this advice! I bought a plug and it started when I had the passenger side plugged off. This is a break through for me beings it hasn't even tried to start for months. When I plug the drivers side it wouldn't start. So I guess next step I will pull the passenger side valve cover and inspect. All I have done under the valve covers before is glow plugs so any specific advice on what Im looking for would be appreciated. I will go pull the covers now. Thanks again!!

excellent-- sounds like one or more injectors is not sealing pressure.

Get a hydraulic handpump thats filled with engine oil and plug into the headport that you removed the HPOP hose from. Pump it and look for oil blowing out from under the injector top where it goes into the head. Also look for oil coming out of the oil 'exhaust' port/spout. If a poppet is hung open, the oil will flow out of here.

You could also just reinstall the hpop hose and crank the motor, letting a buddy crank the motor and watching the hpop pump the oil.

If an offending injector is found, remove injector and replace the orings. If its a poppet, another check needs to be done.

Charles

Reaction score
Glad you got it isolated. Yank that cover and with the lines back on roll it over watching the spouts.

If you see nothing start pulling injectors looking for o-rings. Make sure to check the oil rail plugs.

ktmrider

Reaction score
ok i have the passenger side valve covers off, and the hpop lines are connected again. I wiped out all oil possible under the valve cover, which was very little. I jumped across the starter solenoid with my switch so i could turn the motor over and watch for oil leaks..... If there is oil leaking, I am not seeing it. Is there a specific thing I should be looking at. Do I start to pull injectors, and if so is there a detailed write up you guys recommend. This will be a first time for me, thanks in advance!

ktmrider

Reaction score
update: As i crank the motor over there is no oil coming out of the spouts, nor can i see any oil leaking at the base of the injectors. What is the next step? As i read through my previous posts I just need to edit one, when I say the truck fired on the driver side 4 cylinders, it didnt actually catch and run, but it sounded like it was trying and almost would start, it may have even ran for a couple seconds it was just really rough. In contrast the passenger side is dead dead dead doesnt even sound like it is trying. I guess my question is, should the truck actually start on 4 cylinders?

TyCorr

Reaction score
The truck could indeed start and run on 4cylinders. Pop poppety pop pop poppety pop poppopop...

Im not sure whats going on so Im gonna shut up.and listen. Good luck man!

bad12jr

Reaction score
They'll run on four. Did it one day trouble shooting. Just not well. They will also drive for a while on 6 and it really isn't very noticeable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Charles

Reaction score
Unless your fuel is black and has oil in it, the oil has to be running through an injector or bubbling around one.

As for running on 4, with stock injectors and a weak program it might not actually run. A truck with decent injectors and strong tuning will drive around on 4 no prob.

ktmrider

Reaction score
thanks for the quick responses, so could it be leaking internally where i couldnt see without pulling injectors? is the next step to pull injectors? As for the tuning, I have returned it to stock and the injectors are the original stock injectors with 117,000 on them. Im considering upgrading them, but would sure like to get it running before I go that route:)

TyCorr

Reaction score
Stock injectors.failing at 117k isnt impossible, nothing is, but with over twice.that on a set I doubt it. Maybe orings.

Latest posts

Members online