30psi ICP= dead excursion! Help please

ktmrider

Reaction score
update: I have pulled the injectors on the passenger side and inspected the orings. The bottom injector oring on both #5 and #7 cylinders is alittle rough looking. Not smooth, kinds of pitted/frayed. All other orings appear fine to my eye.
Next, I got a little anxious while already under the valve covers, so I called up Full force diesel and ordered a set of 238 hybrids and and 6 positions ts chip with gearhead tunes. I hope thats not a mistake buying more go fast parts before I have confirmed the no start issue..... im a sucker for more power:) With that in mind anything else I should be looking at while im in this deep? I will replace glow plugs before Im done. Im kind of changins subjects on this thread but my turbo is stock with a wicked wheel in it, should I be looking for an upgrade with my new injectors, any suggestions? Other modifications currently on the truck.... adrenaline hpop, edge evolution(about to get replaced),afe stage 2 intake, afe blade runner intake, built tranny, 37in tires, 8 in lift

bad12jr

Reaction score
Honestly 38r for the turbo. The stocker isn't gonna be happy. I'd say the injectors will solve the problem with starting

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Wayne

Reaction score
Just noticed this thread. Good to see you on here, Ross. I'm looking forward to seeing what the next justified mod will be now you will have enough fuel injector to overwhelm the turbo. 38R and a regulated return? To the 7.3 gurus: While I'm a fan of overkill, and know what I would run, what's the minimum SAFE fuel supply recommendations while running 238's at full tilt?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Just noticed this thread. Good to see you on here, Ross. I'm looking forward to seeing what the next justified mod will be now you will have enough fuel injector to overwhelm the turbo. 38R and a regulated return? To the 7.3 gurus: While I'm a fan of overkill, and know what I would run, what's the minimum SAFE fuel supply recommendations while running 238's at full tilt?

What ever it takes to maintain 60+ psi fuel pressure...

Some trucks get away with a completely stock set up and a regulated return... Others have to go full 5/8"...

ktmrider

Reaction score

thanks wayne

ktmrider

Reaction score
I now have all injectors out and am waiting for the new ones.... the other four injectors orings were about the same as the passenger side. The bottowm oring on a couple of them looked rough but the others all appear good to my eye. Is this common?
If I upgrade to a 38r, would that put me needing to do headstuds, valvesprings etc? what are the guidelines/ limits of these motors? Never have went beyond the built tranny, chip and hpop on these trucks

mandkole

Reaction score
Ktm, do you have a black fuel filter ? The bottom oring failure will blacken the fuel. If not keep looking.

ktmrider

Reaction score
The X runs!!!! Wow it feels good to say that, it runs pretty mean too:) Thanks to all you guys for you input and ideas. It kicked my butt for way too long and I couldn't dedicate much time to work on it but its back going. I installed my new 238/100 hybrids and new glow plugs. I also installed a 6 pos ts chip with gearhead tunes on it. I also replaced the electric lift pump on the frame rail with another stock one... maybe I should have done something different but that's what I threw in. THANKS THANKS THANKS

So here is where the x sits:

Built Tranny
TS chip with gearhead tunes
238/100 hybrids
Adrenaline HPOP
Stock turbo with wicked wheel
AFE stage 2 intake
AFE Bladerunner manifold
stiffer fuel bowl regulator spring
37in tires/ 6in lift
amp steps
rear airbags

my initial impression with the injectors was wow! way more boost, power, and smoke. The bad part is the EGTs get hotter way quicker than with the stock sticks and the evolution. My boost used hit 20-21psi now it will hit 27 but then I back out of it because egts hit 1400

Whats your guys recommendation next? Turbo? which one? How much boost can the motor take without other upgrades? Thanks in advance. This does pull a 3 place snowmobile trailer, runs around town, and hits the county fair truck pull once a year

ktmrider

Reaction score
Also would like to trim down on the smoke, I like the power but smoke doesn't seem to make friends

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Smoke is from lack of air flow... Also from what I can tell you live in the denver area? Altitude will kill you.

mandkole

Reaction score
Nice. Good to hear the truck is starting and running well--that was a well fought battle.

Although you had the files written for your setup and location, they may need to be adjusted. Nonetheless, 27 seems low for a well sealed system on a max effort file-- you may want to run 20-25psi of regulated air through the intake system and look for leaks (boots, CAC, plenums, etc). Look for uppipe leaks as well.

Latest posts

Members online