35" tires, 42R, towing issues now

Swaan

Reaction score
I guess I never felt it with 35s and 3.73s. I had 250/100s with the E99 turbo lol. Did amazingly well.... towing egts were a bit high, but I had a leaking manifold, and up pipes lol. Still ran amazing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It did well because you were never under the turbo .

mandkole

Reaction score
^^ the stocker is very responsive with a little fuel. Need to keep the 42 at about 15 psi all the time, then its dial a boost and egts come down, but at 15 psi you are running higher rpm in 3rd or going very fast in top gear now.

I never complained about towing egts before the trans update because never realized it was actually slipping and acted like a loose unlocked converter. Getting the rpm up and on top was easier. Never shifted back/forth between 3rd and 4th.

When I had it hooked up to the AE before, discovered the converter lock tuning does not let the converter PWM function. I understood the stock tuning would modulate varying degrees of lock. With Bill's files, its on or off and comes directly to 100%. This is stuff that I need to discuss with a tuner. (I did not buy the tuning so Bill will require me to buy new files.)

TyCorr

Reaction score
You have a problem if you have this issue with a 38r

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yes, weve been over it before. I have 250/200s and it goes from nothing to 38psi in a few seconds. On 35s with a 6" lift. With smaller ibjectors it was horrible for towing in terms of egts.

I wonder if the op could keep energy in the turbine with a 200% nozzle. A 100% nozzle isnt my favorite...for much of anything.

TyCorr

Reaction score
^^ Jason lol -- but you speak the truth... too much conversation is spent on trucks not doing truck work.

Yup, get it--Ive said the same thing. I doubt the gear will be changed, but may need to go back to a 32-33" tire. The charger is another possibility, but gonna tune on this one first. Im fine with backshifting to 3rd and running some grades at higher rpm, but was surprised at how the EGTs jumped after the trans efficiency improved. The tow file may need some fuel taken out and shifting strategy adjusted.

We talk about it, but anyone wanting a bigger single that tows decent loads needs to think about this stuff. 42 works good on the street EMPTY--in fact, its way fun. We have elevation changes and traffic around here that catch you off boost all the time. The 96 2wd stocker with 4.10s would tow circles around this truck with ease.

No whining about it (I understood and made the decisions), but to help inform and gather other thoughts/ideas.

What to do to fix it... For now, the trip to Boise in two weeks will be done with the shorter tires. Then need to look at the long term plan.

Im not being an azzhole but this is exactly why I have a "small" charger. Empty, stretching its legs i think "i could use another 2-4mm of turbo". Then i yank something and the turbo is fueled pretty hard. Why break it?

mandkole

Reaction score
I'll likely go with a smaller charger before more nozzle. While the truck is fun to race, it needs to tow first.

Going through eastern Oregon this week will give lots of opportunity to get in a workout. More on this later.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea. One or the other.

If you were to just go to a tow setup, id ditch those 100% nozzles but thats a personal preference.

Ill be interested to see what you figure out. I firmly believe if you run a single, and want to use the truck, you err on the small side. I know you know what you are doing but I wouldnt expect your setup to tow worth a poo.

One other things, is your hpo keeping up when you are laying into the pedal? Does icp tank in tip in situations where you command high throttle input?

Addicted4

Reaction score
I think tuning is going to have to be changed so it holds the gears a little longer. 4.10 gears would solve some of your issue but not all of it. Don't be afraid to use higher rpms to stay on top of your charger.

4.56 and 35's is overkill, but f450-550 came with 4.88's which is 2750 at 70.

Jason

Reaction score
I remember skav having 250/200's, and a gtx4294r, on like a 10" lift and 38's, and he had videos posted...it was extremely responsive...and towed his toy hauler way faster up long california grades than the truck did with other setups, and cooler to boot.

mandkole

Reaction score
Yea. One or the other.

If you were to just go to a tow setup, id ditch those 100% nozzles but thats a personal preference.

Ill be interested to see what you figure out. I firmly believe if you run a single, and want to use the truck, you err on the small side. I know you know what you are doing but I wouldnt expect your setup to tow worth a poo.

One other things, is your hpo keeping up when you are laying into the pedal? Does icp tank in tip in situations where you command high throttle input?

We're all talking the same thing here... my real reason for the thread was to share the observations on the trans refresh and kick around charger discussion thoughts, but also for guys who think they want bigger chargers. Im getting by with it towing, but you have to handle it carefully.

No issues with ICP that I can see, the tow file runs to 3200 @ 45% if needed and goes from 1800-3000 like a light switch.

Don't be afraid to use higher rpms to stay on top of your charger.

agreed-- good stuff happens at 25-2700rpm. My OBS had 4.10s with a stock turbo and I ran it there all the time. The 42 just sounds like its in the cab with you LOL

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
My 42 with a 1.15 housing came up around 1800 rpm. You need to look else where for your issue besides bandaging the issue with a gear change.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I remember skav having 250/200's, and a gtx4294r, on like a 10" lift and 38's, and he had videos posted...it was extremely responsive...and towed his toy hauler way faster up long california grades than the truck did with other setups, and cooler to boot.

My 42 with a 1.15 housing came up around 1800 rpm. You need to look else where for your issue besides bandaging the issue with a gear change.
I would agree with both of these. It's not a tire/gear ratio issue based on what I've read in this thread.

mandkole

Reaction score
Got back from the trip to Boise and overall, very happy with how the truck tows. Pulled 18,100 loaded up. On the flat sections, its a no brainer and can run 70-72 all day long @ about 8-900F in top gear. The light hills will push up to 11-1200 to maintain the same speed. Ran with cruise a fair amount.

I84 between Portland and Boise has 2 of the stoutest grades in the west--Cabbage hill and 3 mile hill (outside of Ontario). Cabbage is tricky because the switchbacks require you to slow to 45-50, so just dropped to 3rd and could run at 55-60 without getting above 1200F. Maintaining engine speed is critical, but as long as you're in 3rd, I found I could maintain 60 on any grade. Never had to go above 22-23psi boost.

The refreshed trans and new converter got its warmest when at full load in 3rd gear, but never got above 185F. Once back to OD and down the other side, it dropped back to 165F.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well, what did you change?

I watched videos on youtube the other night on the gtx4294r and its tickling my wallet even though the 38r is just peachy. It lights instsntly which is my preference.

mandkole

Reaction score
Well, what did you change?

I watched videos on youtube the other night on the gtx4294r and its tickling my wallet even though the 38r is just peachy. It lights instsntly which is my preference.

I changed my attitude more than anything and got used to towing again-- I hadn't towed in months with the trans dying, then when I did I forgot what it was like..lol. I had this idea that you should be running at 8-900F all the time and could just light it from 1500. It lights a little earlier, but awesome at 20-2100.

The 42 does work good--I think it needs the shorter tire, but its not worth giving up. After talking to others at the track over the weekend, they thought I was flying up the hills. I really had power to spare, but didn't see the need to beat on it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ok. I think my junk works pretty good but when I had new trucks to compare, until April i had my 14 dmax (cclb z71 srw 3500) and its amazing how well that 390 hp tows...turn the key push a few buttons,done.

I still think they tow nice but i kinda got spoiled.

Im glad to hear you got it figured out.

mandkole

Reaction score
The new trucks are so much more refined, no question that the development is there. 380-390 in a new truck is badass. I was caravanning with friends in a newer dmax, I was never out of power as long as the road was clear and could maintain speed. But, as soon as we would get slowed on hills and lost the drive, they easily got away.

Latest posts

Members online