364.5 SXE to 366 SXE worthwhile?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
My point being the 364.5 turbo is capable of much more power than what people are saying
Dude, there is no comparison to a heui 7.3 with poor flowing heads to a 6.7 that flows more air capable of almost twice the hp with a 66mm style turbo. Thats like comparing a apple to a ***in rock..

live life full throttle

Reaction score
I think the point is that in a 7.3, the 364.5 will not clean up the fuel needed to get to that range. That is why it "won't work" for that power level.

The OP wants to know if he'll be better off with a 364.5 compared to a 366.

So if a 7.3 doesnt have enough air flow to clean up a 364.5 how is he going to be better off with a 366 which would require more air to clean up?

Reaction score
Dude, there is no comparison to a heui 7.3 with poor flowing heads to a 6.7 that flows more air capable of almost twice the hp with a 66mm style turbo. Thats like comparing a apple to a ***in rock..

live life full throttle

This is a comparison between a 364.5 and a 366 not a 7.3 and 6.7

Some peoples kids....

The Brad

Reaction score
The OP wants to know if he'll be better off with a 364.5 compared to a 366.

So if a 7.3 doesnt have enough air flow to clean up a 364.5 how is he going to be better off with a 366 which would require more air to clean up?

The turbo moves air! The heads restrict the airflow! The result is boost! The higher the boost, the more air you can squeeze through the heads to provide enough oxygen to clean up the fuel. Wringing out a smaller turbo to hit 40 psi will yield less oxygen than a larger turbo at the same 40psi due to the heat created by operating the smaller turbo near the choke side of it’s compressor map. The flip side of that coin is drivability.

The OP is asking whether or not he’s over fueling his 364.5 (The exh side, maybe), and if so, will a 366 meet his needs while maintaining low rpm performance. How a 364.5 performs on a 6.7, 6.0, 5.9, or anything else doesn’t mean it’ll do the same in a 7.3.

A 6.7 will make more power at a given boost level than a 7.3 will, simply because of less restriction in the heads.

TMCCOY, everything I’ve seen and read tells me there’s minimal difference in spool between the 364.4, 366 and 369. If anything, I think going to a 73mm turbine would make the difference.

Last edited:

TMCCOY

Reaction score
Gong from the 364.5 with a 68 turbine to a 364.5 with a 74 is in question. But if we collectively agree that alone is worth the expense and effort, then would going to a 366 be a better choice for overall performance? Would It be wise to us a .91 or 1.00 AR? Recall that the kit came with the 364.5 with 68mm turbine and .91AR housing. Thanks Guys.

The Brad

Reaction score
If I were going to go through the time and expense, I’d go with a 366/74/1.0, but I’d also get the Hewett dual boost gauge and look at pressure delta and put a speed sensor in the turbo to be able to document the difference. But I’d have to be really curious, have money burning a hole in my pocket, and a lot more free time on my hands. My setup spools fast enough and I don’t feel like it’s choking on top, so I’ll just live vicariously through you.

TMCCOY

Reaction score
If I were going to go through the time and expense, I’d go with a 366/74/1.0, but I’d also get the Hewett dual boost gauge and look at pressure delta and put a speed sensor in the turbo to be able to document the difference. But I’d have to be really curious, have money burning a hole in my pocket, and a lot more free time on my hands. My setup spools fast enough and I don’t feel like it’s choking on top, so I’ll just live vicariously through you.

That's the question. Is the 74 vs 68 turbine worth much in egt, spool? Selling the current turbo, I would probably be spending about $400 to make the switch. Just towed, 300 miles yesterday and it is only high EGT when lugging in 4th at 50mph. 1250 or so. Never high anywhere else and clean overall.

LakeBum

Reaction score
That's the question. Is the 74 vs 68 turbine worth much in egt, spool? Selling the current turbo, I would probably be spending about $400 to make the switch. Just towed, 300 miles yesterday and it is only high EGT when lugging in 4th at 50mph. 1250 or so. Never high anywhere else and clean overall.

I say leave it alone

superpsd

Reaction score
What does your back presure look like. Log that and or setup a manual gauge. That will tell you alot. If you do try the larger turbine dont let your smaller turbo walk ofd until you know the larger one works.

TMCCOY

Reaction score
I have in the past but don't recall specifics. I'll do so on the return tow trip.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Rpm dude. Dont lug it. You're worried about 1250°?

live life full throttle

TMCCOY

Reaction score
totally get the rpm reducing egt, just 'splainin when i see higher egt. Yeah, 1250 sustained is hot from what I've been told.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
totally get the rpm reducing egt, just 'splainin when i see higher egt. Yeah, 1250 sustained is hot from what I've been told.
Have you ever towed with a stock 7.3 and watched the egt gauge? It will scare you way worse then that.

live life full throttle

TMCCOY

Reaction score
I have 366SXE/1.0AR coming in next week. I'll follow up after the install.

Members online

No members online now.