38r and boost #'s. I know dead horse sorry.

campbellflage

Reaction score
I have been tracking down boost leaks for a while now and trying to decide if its a tune issue or if I am loosing psi somewhre else or if this is just normal. On the hwy i see 0 boost at 70, if I accelerate it will show a jump but usually stays at 0 unless at 80ish. Around town same thing I have to mash it pretty good to get a jump on the boost needle, and my egts climb pretty quick. They stay in the safe range but still climb fast. I used to see 400-450ish when crusing around at 45-50, now its seems to sit closer to the 500-550 mark. Am I chasing nothing and this is pretty normal?

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Have you tried pressurizing the intake to check for leaks?

0psi at 70-80mph is not normal.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Yeah , seems good. I had a few at the boots, guess i should check the intercooler core itself. About what should i be seeing?

It is kind of hard to put an exact number on it because there are more factors involved(RPM's, load, turbine housing size, etc...)

Unless you are coasting downhill at 70mph, in which case 0psi would be acceptable.

campbellflage

Reaction score
I don't think there are any pre-turbo leaks, maybe I should check the uppipes at the headers to ensure they are tight.
Turbo is 38r with the 1.0 housing, with WW2 installed. Brand new 6637 filter, just re-sealed the plenums (no leaks there), boots look ok (didn't see any leaks last checked).. unloaded on the highway 4:10 rear end running at 70 boost is 0, rpms around 22-2300ish, on flat florida hwys.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Didn't see any mention of smoke or low power. Are you shure it is fueling right?

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
That would make no difference @ 70 with the RPM@2200. Even if it was a defueled stock injected pickup it should and would still the boost at those RPM@70 .. No question about it. He should be able to just free rev it in out of gear and see boost...

OP you either have a boost leak or your up pipes are leaking... When did the no boost start up? Did it happen before or after the WW2 comp wheel?

campbellflage

Reaction score
That would make no difference @ 70 with the RPM@2200. Even if it was a defueled stock injected pickup it should and would still the boost at those RPM@70 .. No question about it. He should be able to just free rev it in out of gear and see boost...

OP you either have a boost leak or your up pipes are leaking... When did the no boost start up? Did it happen before or after the WW2 comp wheel?

Could be any number of things, I installed a bunch of crap at once just recently, and after a reburn for the turbo the egts went up, and 0 boost at hwy speed. It spools and cleans up the exhaust quick. im gonna check my boost gauge line and make sure its not kinked, but that still wouldn't cause the increase in egts.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Could be any number of things, I installed a bunch of crap at once just recently, and after a reburn for the turbo the egts went up, and 0 boost at hwy speed. It spools and cleans up the exhaust quick. im gonna check my boost gauge line and make sure its not kinked, but that still wouldn't cause the increase in egts.

Bingo, that's where I was going with my question. If your manifold pressure where actually that low I would think you would suffer a loss of power and be pouring smoke. What will boost max out at.

As far as the egt change, that could be a product of tuning. The other issues aside, those temps are not bad at all.

campbellflage

Reaction score
My hottest tune is a street tune, it will smoke alot till the turbo lights, and boost is like 27-28ish. I didn't think that they were dangerous or anything, was just thinking my mpg might suffer if I was loosing performance somewhere (boost, exhaust leak).

campbellflage

Reaction score
ok so just went out and tinkered with it after detailing the inside. i got a couple turns on one of the manifold/uppipe connection (not much). Did a boost leak test with soap and water and didn't see anything obvious, kept blowing off the kit i have though. Fueled up and did some wot runs, in the daily tune got 21-22psi of boost, and im my street tune I got 25ish and it was getting hot fast I let off at 1250. Ideas or is this just how my tune is written?

Disclaimer: The tunes are great, this is no way directed at my tuner. My truck has been known to have something or another going at one time or another.. Tonys tunes are great, Im just curious as to if this is normal or not for the tunes I have currently.

smokin99stroke

Reaction score
ok so just went out and tinkered with it after detailing the inside. i got a couple turns on one of the manifold/uppipe connection (not much). Did a boost leak test with soap and water and didn't see anything obvious, kept blowing off the kit i have though. Fueled up and did some wot runs, in the daily tune got 21-22psi of boost, and im my street tune I got 25ish and it was getting hot fast I let off at 1250. Ideas or is this just how my tune is written?

Disclaimer: The tunes are great, this is no way directed at my tuner. My truck has been known to have something or another going at one time or another.. Tonys tunes are great, Im just curious as to if this is normal or not for the tunes I have currently.

I'm in the same boat you are. I was making chit for boost then hair sprayed all 6 boots and I'm making 30 psi in my hot tune with stock injectors and hit about 1350 for EGTs. I don't have Tony's tunes BTW. I don't have gearhead either but he's next on my list to try. At 70 my psi is about 4-5. Try rechecking your boots again. I took everything apart. I'm about to order new boots cause mine have 220k miles. Im pretty sure I don't have an exhaust leak. I did IH up pipes at the same time and they're torqued to spec and showing no soot. Report what you find

campbellflage

Reaction score
I have DI one piece uppipes, I highly doubt they are leaking, No soot anywhere. I guess it could be time for new boots, they are stock with 208k on them. I don't have a hot tune, so street tune is hottest I have but I would think with the 38r and the WW2 my egts should be better controlled. That and the 0 psi at 70 issue.

Reaction score
some where i read a thread a guy was having issues and that they thought they got the wrong wheel and Bob took care of it...I am not 100% sure though and i cant find the thread...may be worth a call to find out...

Last edited:

smokin99stroke

Reaction score
Have you cranked down the waste gate all the way? What leak detector do you have? I built my own for 10$ and it doesn't blow off. Hook it up to the turbo inlet tube

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.