38R Break-in procedure?

edge186

Reaction score
I finally caved and ordered a 38R... Are there any specific do's or don'ts when breaking in a 38R? I've been told there is a specific break in procedure for ball bearing turbos..

On Garrett's website it says to let it warm up and test drive it then check for leaks. If everything seems normal then no further break-in is necessary...

I just don't want to take any chances...

blackbetty13

Reaction score
My breaking procedure on my 4202r was building boost to about 20 psi and letting her rip lol.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
change the oil a few minutes prior to taking old one off. that way you got fresh oil going straight to the turbo... Also, pour some STP engine treatment into the oil port and spin the wheel around by hand

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
change the oil a few minutes prior to taking old one off. that way you got fresh oil going straight to the turbo... Also, pour some STP engine treatment into the oil port and spin the wheel around by hand

This. Every turbo Ive installed i dump oil with a squirt bottle into the feed and rotate the wheel and allow it to come out of the drain.

That way your not firing it up dry hoping the motor oil gets to the bearings in time.

edge186

Reaction score

I installed a bd turbo on a friends truck last weekend and I did pour some fresh oil in and spin it around prior to install. Which is the inlet and which is the outlet though? I wasn't sure so I put some in both...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
pre lube, install, check for leaks, maybe a boost leak test(optional), turn truck on, let worm up a few min, put the skinny threw the floorboard.

David N

Reaction score
After their procedure you listed it's all fair game. Haha

x2. 40lbs never felt so good! Mine went to the floor as soon as I got out of the driveway.

You'll be able to tell fairly quick if something isn't correct or if there is an oil leak.

edge186

Reaction score
Well I got it installed and I can't find any leaks but I'm only seeing about 22 psi and that is topped out... Not sure why..

Latest posts

Members online