38R or stock turbo???? Which clutch?

09wyoblue

Reaction score
My 2000 work truck has 220,000 miles and needs a new turbo. It spends the majority of its life hooked to a gooseneck pulling 5k to 15k pounds. It is only tuned up to 80 hp tops and I have absolutely no plans for making a lot more power with it. Is it worth spending the money for the ball bearinged 38R for my use or should I stay with a stock? I also need a clutch. Should I use a stock replacement, a Luk with single mass flywheel or go with Valair or Southbend?

Big Bore

Reaction score
Yes on single mass, whichever flavor, Luk cerametallic eats flywheels btw. 38r is a much better turbo than stocker and will last a lot longer, but cost a lot more. If the stocker lasted 220K and did what you needed then hard to justify the 38r.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yes on single mass, whichever flavor, Luk cerametallic eats flywheels btw. 38r is a much better turbo than stocker and will last a lot longer, but cost a lot more. If the stocker lasted 220K and did what you needed then hard to justify the 38r.

I would agree with this except I have a 38r. I feel even with stock everything else it works great on a stock truck. For his towing needs especially, the 38r will lower gets. I've been able to tow in higher hp tunes due to the 38r better spooling characteristics. With a little more fuel the charger is able to pull the truck through acceleration from cruising better. No downshift needed, no smoke, and a little cooler. My tunes dictated a lot of these characteristics, of course.

Other than that, I agree completely.

stroker2

Reaction score
I recommend the valair organic clutch. Has a light pedal and holds a little more than stock. As for the turbo, if you dont have any egt issues then i would just use a stock turbo. If egts are slowing you down a little, maybe look into a van turbo.

GreenF350

Reaction score
I think the turbo question is really up to you. I run my "120hp" tune as my daily driver tune, but noticed cooler egt's and less smoke (although slightly slower spooling w/ the 1.15 A/R housing) with the GT38R, I am pretty happy with it, but my memory of the stock turbo is a bit foggy since it was 3-4 years ago and about 100k miles. If you aren't going bigger the stock turbo would probably be fine, but I always felt that I was running on the ragged edge with my stocker since it liked to surge and was making 27-28psi daily.
-Aaron

09wyoblue

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I went ahead and ordered the 38R mostly because of your advice about it dropping EGTs. I pulled the tranny, clutch and flywheel and found out it already had a single mass Valeo in it. Need to find at least the clutch disc for it, maybe do a pressure plate and bearings while I am at it.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Always do new pressure plate/throwout/pilot/resurface flywheel with a clutch unless you are just trying to get by, and I don't think you are in that boat. I've been there and done some redneck shyt before but the results are usually less than optimal. The clutch kit will have all those and most parts stores can either do the flywheel or have it done for reasonable price. I use Clutch DR in Denver, I dont know if they have on near you.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.