38R Suddenly got louder...?

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Well... Ive gotten everything back together now.

Bad news, the turbo is still the same sound.

And something else wierd, when I started the truck for the first time, it kinda stumbled, and idled really rough, and its making a really wierd noise. It sounds almost like two chains hitting each other? Im not sure. But the noise went away, so I took it for a test drive. Well I can plainly hear the noise again, so I pull off, and it seems to be coming from the passenger side of the truck, and the truck is smoking blue pretty bad at this point and idling horribly. So I drive back home, and the noise goes away. It idles perfect now. So I take it for another drive and the noise didn't come back that time... Any ideas? Im completely lost. I was thinking maybe a pushrod, but they don't exactly fix themselves.

Sounds like an injector issue to me. Have you tried a contribution test?

David N

Reaction score
Ebv rod come off?

I deleted it this go around when I had the turbo off.

And why an injector issue now? It ran perfect before I took everything apart to reseal the intake plenums.

Oh, and when I said it was smoking, it completely went away after a couple minutes. And all of this was at Operating Temperature.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
Well I am of the mind that I would drive it easy for the next tank of fuel or so and if nothing shows up or no codes show up and it drives fine with no more issues I would not worry about it. Its hard to find an issue when the issue no longer exists, ya know?

David N

Reaction score
Yep I agree. I drove it awhile today and everything was good!

A friend of mine said possibly a sticking injector? Or some kind of momentary injector problem?

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
As far as the sound, I put a 38r on a buddies truck that had been making the noise like that and the stock one had a melted exhaust wheel...

David N

Reaction score
As far as the sound, I put a 38r on a buddies truck that had been making the noise like that and the stock one had a melted exhaust wheel...

Well I pulled the charger off when I resealed the intake plenums. It appeared fine, both compressor and exhaust wheels.

I do see high egt's but I don't think they are that hot. LOL

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Well I pulled the charger off when I resealed the intake plenums. It appeared fine, both compressor and exhaust wheels.

I do see high egt's but I don't think they are that hot. LOL

His looked fine till we pulled the exhaust housing off, it was just the tips of the exhaust wheel melted off. But his was also down on power and boost a little bit.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
... Melted Exhaust wheel???

Come on. Damage maybe, but there is no way your going to melt an exhaust wheel, without having a completely melted motor as well...

TARM

Reaction score
I have seen a few of these on other forums. I think there must be something in the wheel where the alloy or treatment was incorrect. Some of these where supposedly at egts well within normal race ranges 1600-1800. We have all seen turbines survive numerous stent at over 2K so this is all I can come up with. First time I saw one I swore it had to of been debris or a seal but then another one actually had the wheel fin material that metals apparently fused to the inside wall of the housing. Kind of hard to argue with metal stuck to the inside of the housing. Still hard to believe.

Latest posts

Members online