4" rear block shudder

Dittmerdiesel

Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue with shudder on take-off with a 4" tapered rear block? Im guessing all I need is a carrier bearing drop bracket but I was wondering if others dealt with the same. Its an extended cab long bed.

Thanks

NotStock

Reaction score
Does the block have a taper? Most of the time, I would recommend a flat block up to a 4-4.5" size. The wheel base on your truck is pretty short so a 2.5* taper may be better for your application. If the block is flat, you can purchase pinion shims to add angle or buy blocks with the taper built in.

Dittmerdiesel

Reaction score
NOTSTOCK-

yes they are tapered,

MINK-

Its not horrible, but Its enough to where I can definitely tell a difference. It's not a high power truck either, so do u think traction bars are necessary?

Karls03

Reaction score
While I don't have any blocks, I do have 6" lift springs (makes for a 4 inch lift w/o blocks) and I had some pretty noticeable axle wrap/shudder under "normal" driving conditions. It was either the 3-5 or 5-6 gear shift that I could feel it under light throttle. However, a set of Pro Comp traction bars and that is all in the past now.

My point is, get some traction bars and your axle wrap/shudder should go away.

MINK

Reaction score
NOTSTOCK-

yes they are tapered,

MINK-

Its not horrible, but Its enough to where I can definitely tell a difference. It's not a high power truck either, so do u think traction bars are necessary?

I think they are a great addition to even a stock power level truck.

Dittmerdiesel

Reaction score
Well, that answers my question. I never had the issue with my 7.3 with the same block but it was a ccsb. Thats why I was wondering. Thanks alot guys.

Any suggestions on bars that won't break the bank?

Karls03

Reaction score
That's a definite possibility, my lift springs don't have the over load. If you get the Pro Comp bars, they are two separate kits, the mounts and the bars.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/exp-72099b/overview/make/ford/model/f-250-super-duty

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/exp-72400b/overview/make/ford/model/f-250-super-duty

Aside from price, I liked that these mount close to the axle centerline, not below (ie Rough Country). Mounting below the axle will make the mounting bracket a torque arm increasing the pressure on the bars. I really like how OUO looked, but man are they pricey.

Latest posts

Members online