450/400 7.3 2001

Swaan

Reaction score
Not everyone is hell bent on the fastest time at the track.
Sometimes just the feeling of raw torque pushing you back in the seat with every gear change is enough to put a big smile on people's face
I can still shift pertty fast thou if I want to. It will never be as fast and crisp as a built auto , but there's just something about grabbing gears with 500 hp under the hood. Also it's a compleaty diffrent kinda feeling with no torque converter absorbing the hp. More direct, sound and feel is totally diffrent.
Also towing is light years better with a stick. Others will disagree, but this is my honest opinion. Take it FWIW

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
I always rofl at the auto trans guys talking about a manual... it'll never live they say, they don't shift worth a damn they say, they're slow they say, why run one they say. I'd take your $4k bts and drop it on the ground and put in a zf in my truck in a heartbeat before I'd drive an auto.

I always have more fun driving a stick and enjoy my truck immensely. I see no advantage to driving an automatic truck with the way I use mine. To each their own, but an automatic transmission sure the hell isn't god's gift to trucks like some of you would have us all believe.

bruce

Reaction score
Zf is fine for a did or a tow rig. Billet rods, a filled block and 400/400's is race truck status. Its like putting a c7 behind a 427 in a Shelby cobra.

Swaan

Reaction score
Zf is fine for a did or a tow rig. Billet rods, a filled block and 400/400's is race truck status. Its like putting a c7 behind a 427 in a Shelby cobra.

I do agree with Bruce. Yes crazy builds for all out hp for the track, no question. Built auto.

But for the guy who's got a nice build with up to 300/200 and a 468. Nothing wrong with a zf.
After that thou, lag and smoke will become a factor with a manual.

But I love my zf. Makes for an enjoyable truck to drive.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I think manual for sled pulling is better.
A lot of coin for a built auto

7.3obs

Reaction score
I would be running a DP Tuner chip live tuned, s475 turbo, swamps gen 3 oil pump and a zf6 transmission...

Let's stay on topic

Not to turn away from transmissions but is a gen3 dd friendly? I've read mixed reviews on it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Give up..no. Just got bored and needed a different project.
I'm actually looking for a shorty reg. cab 7.3L now.
right the *** on man!.. thats what i like to hear!
I would be running a DP Tuner chip live tuned, s475 turbo, swamps gen 3 oil pump and a zf6 transmission...

Let's stay on topic
lol. and have a 350hp tow tune so you dont melt the internals of the zf... unless all you tow is a couple quads on a aluminum 2 place trailer.

Exaclly ^^^^

Big power in front of a zf is fine. Nothing wrong with it. Just don't expect to blitz down the track with one. Auto will win every time if that's your thing.

or stay together if you tow anything worth braging about. unless like i mentioned, a 350hp tow tune.

Not everyone is hell bent on the fastest time at the track.
Sometimes just the feeling of raw torque pushing you back in the seat with every gear change is enough to put a big smile on people's face
I can still shift pertty fast thou if I want to. It will never be as fast and crisp as a built auto , but there's just something about grabbing gears with 500 hp under the hood. Also it's a compleaty diffrent kinda feeling with no torque converter absorbing the hp. More direct, sound and feel is totally diffrent.
Also towing is light years better with a stick. Others will disagree, but this is my honest opinion. Take it FWIW

you are correct. i dissagree.. lightyears, lmao.. no... but stock for stock, yeah id take a zf over a 4r.

I always rofl at the auto trans guys talking about a manual... it'll never live they say, they don't shift worth a damn they say, they're slow they say, why run one they say. I'd take your $4k bts and drop it on the ground and put in a zf in my truck in a heartbeat before I'd drive an auto.

I always have more fun driving a stick and enjoy my truck immensely. I see no advantage to driving an automatic truck with the way I use mine. To each their own, but an automatic transmission sure the hell isn't god's gift to trucks like some of you would have us all believe.

i always do the same when the zf guys say this same thing about a auto. i have a 7.3 with a zf and a 4r. the zf stock with a good clutch as i have in mine is good for 750+hp for 300ft... not sustainable.. its been proven that if you are towing anything worth bragging about much more then 350hp, it will melt it.. unless you are on flat ground and babyin it!

que Charles so he can get in on this...

live life full throttle

Jason

Reaction score
Who said anything about being the fastest at the track??

And how the *** is towing with a manual light years ahead of towing with a built auto?? I guess that's why pretty much all the diesel pickup manufactures have stopped putting manuals in their trucks. You are a ***'n tard, if you honestly believe that a manual is superior in every aspect.

DSR12004

Reaction score
I never said it is superior in every aspect I just enjoy driving a manuel more than a automatic, I take long trips and I dislike sitting there going (gas brake gas brake gas brake) I'd rather mix it up and have a clutch n stick in their other wise I just get board, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with either or one is superior to another it's just to each their own...

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Not to turn away from transmissions but is a gen3 dd friendly? I've read mixed reviews on it.

I'm sure there are some gen3 die hards that would say it is fine to dd a gen3. I've never ran one. But I've been around enough to know I wouldn't want to dd one. All this talk about the 475/400's/6speed setup doesn't mix with daily driving 700 miles a week. Maybe in the common rail world. Not in the 7.3 world.

02BigD

Reaction score
How this fug did this become a pissing match about transmissions?

I'm pretty sure it has been discussed that a 400% nozzle is a waste. Less efficient, and finicky as *** compared to the same injector with a 200% nozzle. A 700hp truck will not be something you would want to drive daily. Unless by magic, you were able to recreate Thuggy's combo, and have the same results. A 250/200, or 300/200 would more than make you happy. And meet all of your desires...and be able to be tuned/driven like a stock truck. And wtf is with all these guys wanting huge turbos, and fire hose injectors on 6 speed trucks? I know banging gears like it's a sports car, and traction problems til 70 sounds like a blast, but neither will be happening in a 7k lb manual trans diesel pickup.

Best post out of the lot.

Great pump, little finicky to tune for idle but all the oil you'll ever need.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
How this fug did this become a pissing match about transmissions?

Best post out of the lot.

Great pump, little finicky to tune for idle but all the oil you'll ever need.

lol. i forgot what the thread was about.. they all blend together for me..

live life full throttle

DocBar

Reaction score
I am building my 7.3 up for drag racing and daily street driving, motors completely built, block filled, bed plate, billet rods, coated pistons, ported polished heads, headers, studs ect, s475 turbo, now I'm down to injectors, I want the most horsepower I can get out of it while still being reliable and I do not want to spray it, I would very much appreciate any input. I would like to put 450/400 in or should I stick with 350/200 or 300/200.
My horsepower goal is a 700 hp daily driver and ironically I drive about 700 plus miles a week,

Let's hear your thoughts...
If you're serious about this build, I would suggest either learning how to tune or picking a tuner, tell/show him how you want it to run and leave it with him for a week or two and let him get the bugs out. The latter is my plan for 400/400's.

Reaction score
I am running pis 300/400's with an s468 and a bts. I have about 4k on the setup now. The first 3500 it ran like chit. Somehow cracked the case on my bts. I just got it back on the rd after switching the trans into a new case and putting all new injector o rings on. 6 of 8 injectors had broken rings. It's got some power to it now finally. But it still runs like crap for the most part. I have not had it live tuned yet. The tunes I have are dynoproven tunes that Jon made for another guy with the exact same setup and it's no where near right for my truck. The plan for this thing was to be a DD that I can race with and still tow a little. Nothing heavy of course. Unless live tuning makes ungodly changes to this thing I will be dropping back to a 200% nozzle next winter. It idles like it's stuck in a lope tune. Egt's are 900-1100 just cruising. It smoke like crazy. I'm not sure the 400 is gonna be as street friendly as I had thought. Once I get Jon to live tune it I'll report back. My suggestion for the op is find someone who has a setup close to what you want and go for a ride. If you like it go for it. It's your time and money. Just be prepared to always be spending money in it and working on it. As I'm finding out you are a wanting one of the most finicky setups out there. Just thought I would share my experiences thus far. Hope it helps in your decision.

DocBar

Reaction score
I am running pis 300/400's with an s468 and a bts. I have about 4k on the setup now. The first 3500 it ran like chit. Somehow cracked the case on my bts. I just got it back on the rd after switching the trans into a new case and putting all new injector o rings on. 6 of 8 injectors had broken rings. It's got some power to it now finally. But it still runs like crap for the most part. I have not had it live tuned yet. The tunes I have are dynoproven tunes that Jon made for another guy with the exact same setup and it's no where near right for my truck. The plan for this thing was to be a DD that I can race with and still tow a little. Nothing heavy of course. Unless live tuning makes ungodly changes to this thing I will be dropping back to a 200% nozzle next winter. It idles like it's stuck in a lope tune. Egt's are 900-1100 just cruising. It smoke like crazy. I'm not sure the 400 is gonna be as street friendly as I had thought. Once I get Jon to live tune it I'll report back. My suggestion for the op is find someone who has a setup close to what you want and go for a ride. If you like it go for it. It's your time and money. Just be prepared to always be spending money in it and working on it. As I'm finding out you are a wanting one of the most finicky setups out there. Just thought I would share my experiences thus far. Hope it helps in your decision.
Tuning makes all the difference in the world, but high HP builds expose every weakness and fault in your truck. Definitely get it live tuned then work the rest of the bugs out. Or, I'll trade you a brand new set of FFD 400/200's for your 400/400's!

Reaction score
Not ready to throw in the towel just yet. I'm still in hopes Jon can get it where it needs to be. I just have to find time to take it to him. I can tell even after it's dialed in it's not something I would want to drive 700 miles a week in.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.