4K on build started smoking please help

hotrodtodd

Reaction score
That test is very crude and simple. It just a way to tell if you have too much blow by. That test could of warned you about the dead cylinder.

Yes! I wish I did a little homework before buying my first diesel!

mandkole

Reaction score
If it ran great before and suddenly had sludge, chances are its the water getting into the oil from the cooler repair. How much we don't know-- change the oil again after 2-300 miles. As said, check/clean inside the doghouse on the valve cover for it being sludged in there. If its blocked, you'll get the pressure backed up to push oil out the dipstick.

May want to pressure test the cooling system to make sure there no more leaks.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
When ai cracked my block I flushed the oil three times and it still had coolant in it. You need to flush that oil every few hundred miles before you crap everything. Coolant eats bearing material fast. And you have lots of places in that motor where oil hides during a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yep...been there, done that.

Had to drive the truck two or three days then drain the oil. And let me tell ya, when the oil is wet there will be a ton of steam coming out the breather tube (if you vent to atmos).

hotrodtodd

Reaction score
Ok looks like I have good news. The CCV was plugged up with sludge, got it cleaned out and let it vent right off the rubber elbow and disconnected my line that runs behind the cab. When I fired it up, it took a minute or two for it to breath out of it.

Took it for a burn and from what I can tell as it's dark, the smoke Seems to have cleared up but I will take it to work and see in the morning. The oil isn't contaminated and the coolant is getting better with less sludge.

The best part was the "compression" test, at a high idle the oil fill cap danced around and there was no way it would lift. So I am sure that there was too much pressure and the dipstick was the least resistance.

I do however still have a problem with boost, so I didn't have time to make a leak checker yet to see.

Thanks for the input guys.

mandkole

Reaction score
cool-- sounds like you have a typical old truck and you're getting through it. Just watch that CCV for awhile for any additional accumulation. As the water boils off, the oil will get drier.

hotrodtodd

Reaction score
Yes good call! Its funny I had next to no issues for the longest time on a totally new build, I changed everything. Then all these little issues started popping up, don't even get me started with the rest of the truck!

On the way to work, the smoke has all but gone now. I need to figure out where I am leaking boost now and sort that out.

For those who had a similar situation with oil in the coolant, thumbs up for the cascade powder. It did a much better job than I expected, I don't even buy that stuff for the dishwasher, but for the truck I made an exception :)

Latest posts

Members online