4R100 BUILDS HEAT

HBDELUX

Reaction score
My 2002 cclb 4x4 trucks trans gauge will get to 205-210* after 35 minutes of driving 65mph or faster in 4th gear on the highway. ambient temp 90-95*, no load.

What should I check? I would like not to look like an ass if there is nothing wrong with the trans.

Rebuilt Trans & new torq converter have about 15000-17000 (built and installed by a recomended builder on this site)on it and it has always run 205-210 in the summer in phoenix with no load. Seems high to me, i'm scared to hook my 10k toy hauler up and hit the hills in the summer here in AZ.

The truck has a 6.0 trans cooler, 6 pos ts chip unknow tuner, 4.56 gears, 10" lift, 37" toyos on 20" wheels, Mag tech deep pan ( i know it has no effect on cooling), auto meter guages.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
That is higher than I would expect to see. You could have a restriction in the cooler circuit, something blocking the airflow to the cooler, or a bad bypass on the transmission.

Check for damage to one of the cooler lines. Any damage could restrict the flow to where the bypass opens and the coolers don't get much, if any fluid.

If the lines look fine you can try removing the bypass on the side of the trans. Look for debris holding the ball off of the seat, or a weak spring that can't hold the ball against the seat. It's not uncommon.

HBDELUX

Reaction score
Thanks Mark, I will respond here, I cant upload pix on the other site.

I will check the lines, have you heard of new Ford 6.0 coolers defective?

Also Could my grill restrict enough air to cause this prob. Its the same 1 I had before the trans was replaced, as I recall it seemed to hit 170-180* area with the small 7.3 cooler. I'll try to post a picture of the front of my truck.

The bypass is not the issue. The Trans guy eliminated that bypass with a milled spacer. (which I figured was ok at the time but now Idk)

IMG_0361.jpg

HBDELUX

Reaction score
well, I can take the Grill causing an air flow issue off the table cuz I removed it and still 210*.:fustrate::fustrate:

HBDELUX

Reaction score
I can take the possible air flow restriction from grill off the list, I removed it went for a drive after about 35-40 minutes at 65-75 mph the trans was above 210* no load. The ambient temp today is 109* :fustrate::fustrate:

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Been down this road with my truck, and was seeing MUCH higher trans temps that you are. Bet you money it's the 6.0L trans cooler.

We tried all kinds of stuff and finally ran out of time before a trip and swapped in a TruCool cooler and the temps never even get close to what they did.

We've since concluded that the 6.0L cooler must have had a big pocket of air that it couldn't get rid of due to how it's mounted. If yours is mounted using the brackets as provided by Ford, flip it over so the inlet and outlet are pointing up. This will allow any air in the cooler to escape and ensure that the cooler is totally full of fluid. It's our speculation (John Wood agrees with this and has seen this issue in other trucks with the 6.0L cooler) that the problem is a combination of the difference in fluid flow and cooler line size between the 4R and 5R trucks, coupled with the fact that the cooler is mounted with the inlet/outlet down.

HBDELUX

Reaction score
Denver, like the sticker & yes I did.

I was told the ac condenser blocks most of the air flow to my 6.0 trans cooler and when it is balls hot out here in the southwest the ac condenser will read up to 300 degrees on the temp gun and what air gets through the ac condenser is super heated. Thats what I was told. I am getting a cooler sent to me to hang in front of the ac condenser and eliminate the 6.0 cooler. Testing to see what the temps with the cooler in unheated clean air will be. I hope this is not some BS.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
AC does make some serious heat, but I had my problem even with the AC off. Problem was not the AC. It also wasn't heat in the radiator (bypassed the radiator cooler to double check) and wasn't the grille (did the same as you and ran without it).

TruCool cooler right behind the grille, no trans temp issues and no AC issues in the AZ heat...been that way for about a year now.

Denver

Reaction score
John told me the same thing with when he built my trans. 6.0 doesn't get enough cold air flow and the heat off the condenser soaks into the 6.0 cooler. He installed the tru cool behind my grill and I see temps around 160* empty 180* towing on flat ground and 200* going up a 7% towing 13K lbs. in 2nd gear. Would you like for me to post pictures of how the cooler is mounted?

HBDELUX

Reaction score
Denver, If you have the pictures handy sure! Thanks.

To everyone else reading this thread, I have never had any issues with the unnamed builder of this transmission and I am sure the issue will be resolved by said builder. Dont assume you know who built the trans or that the problem is even build related. Assumptions are the mother of all f*ck ups!

If your looking at putting a 6.0 cooler into a 7.3 truck, I will post trans temps I was running with the 6.0 cooler and the trans temps that result by using a different brand mounted in front of the ac condenser.

Denver

Reaction score
Pretty basic install. I don't know how the cooling lines are routed. Kinda confusing. Mounting location shouldn't make a difference. Mine is in the middle and my brothers is mounted towards the top and don't notice any difference.
P1040916.jpg

P1040917.jpg

P1040911.jpg

HBDELUX

Reaction score
Dennis,

Thanks for sharing your experience and conversations. I was just thinking air restriction due to location behind the condenser & the grill I have, an air pocket in the 6.o cooler makes sense.

I'd like see your shop & get your imput on a few things for my truck & give you a few buck$! Haha

NEVRNF

Reaction score
I see these kind of temps on my truck also. I have had a BTS for 10 years in 2 different trucks. Both ran hot with the V10 or the 6.0 cooler.

IN MY OPINION the heat issue is the convertor.

My earlly 99 had only a 6.0 cooler, No radiator cooler and it NEVER got hot with a local rebuilt trans. I have had Brian look at it when it was freshened up to go into my Ex 4 years ago. I changed the bypass tube once befor he did the freshening and once since with no change. I have tried running WITHOUT the radiator cooler and it still climbs to about the same temp. BUT it takes alot longer and cools down faster since it is not getting heatsoaked from the coolant.
As long as you are running a GOOD SYNTHETIC fluid you should be protected to 240* befor the fluid is compromised.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
How would it get heat soaked from the coolant, unless your radiator is no good? The trans cooler is in the side of the radiator where the coolant has already been cooled. It is MUCH cooler than engine temperature. If it wasn't, you could just remove the radiator and connect the two hoses together. Why have a radiator if it's engine temp on both sides?

NEVRNF

Reaction score
All i know is if i run my 6.0 cooler without the radiator cooler i see lower trans temps compared to engine temps when i am in traffic sitting for a long period of time. I have run it both ways on and off for the last 5 years and i have had the same results in 2 different trucks. I have also compared it to my E99 for the last 6 years and that truck has never built heat in the trans compared to the BTS trans. I understand how the cooler is in the radiator. I have aftermarket trans and engine temp guages and with both coolers hooked up in stop and go traffic I can watch the trans climb until both are at the same temp. Once i get going then trans temp drops faster than coolant temp.

HBDELUX

Reaction score
I'm no Trans expert by any means but I have had the same issue with and have seen approx the same temps as NEVRNF stated pre and post built trans swaps.

I'll will see what happens after the Tru cool max is installed out front and post the info if anyone wants to know.

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
I like the air pocket idea I've had the same 6.0 cooler and 3 differerebt built trans 2 previous wouldn't go over 180 in any condition now I'm seeing 200..

caladash

Reaction score
6.0 tranny cooler mounted in the stock location using the radiator cooler. Zero issues in any condition. Built since 09. This heat we have had hasn't changed the temps for the worse either.

HBDELUX

Reaction score
caladash, what temp is your trans running unloaded? and what kinda heat are you talking in NC?

Its was 112* today here and its gonna get hotter. I just think 210* unloaded is to hot. everyone says the fluid is good until 250* but have no doubt in my mind with 10k in tow I'm gonna see that and thats where my trans temp guage stops. :shrug:

Latest posts

Members online