4R100 coast clutch fix?

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to fix the problem that the 4R100 coast clutch drum has with the retaining snap ring popping out? Thanks

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Most of the problem is that the groove in the drum wasn't cut deep enough. I have seen aftermarket drums with deeper grooves, and also improved snap rings.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
In my trans if the convertor is locked its fine. If its unlocked in drive when I let off , rpms drop to 700 or whatever idle is, like its in neutral. If I downshift from 40 to second gear it goes to an idle bit if i rev it up a little it will seem like its going back into gear and slow me down. It's done since I got my injectors and tunes a few months ago. Does any of that make sense

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
And when the coast clutch isn't working as it should you won't have engine braking when you should.

Contrary to popular opinion the torque converter doesn't have to be locked to provide engine braking. There will be about 10% more engine braking if it is locked, but you will still have plenty without it being locked.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Ok well that's relieving . I know tunes change stuff.with the trans but didn't know if this was it or not as I noticed it right after I installed

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
I can have my local machine shop cut a deeper groove in the drum but does anyone know the part number or specs and brand for the updated thicker snap ring for the coast clutch?

Latest posts

Members online