4r100 dead, what's the damage?

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
My friend text me this morning and said that his trans went out. No reverse and grinds in first gear. It has been leaking from what I figured was the front main since the beginning of the year. I got him the part to replace it but it never got fixed checks fluid level daily and adds accordingly. He said color has always been red up until about a week ago it started to get black. What is the problem? Fried clutches? Converter? Is it time for a full rebuild? I believe it is stock tuning with just straight-piped stock exhaust.

Garrett

probably getting paid at work to post this from my POS phone

Lysons

Reaction score
Had the same issues, ending up putting in two transmissions.
Maybe he'll be lucky and just need a rebuild, but I think it might be time to look into another 4R100.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
It could be anything inside. The one thing that all the failures have in common is that the trans has to come out and be rebuilt or replaced.

StockCar#10

Reaction score
My friend text me this morning and said that his trans went out. No reverse and grinds in first gear. It has been leaking from what I figured was the front main since the beginning of the year. I got him the part to replace it but it never got fixed checks fluid level daily and adds accordingly. He said color has always been red up until about a week ago it started to get black. What is the problem? Fried clutches? Converter? Is it time for a full rebuild? I believe it is stock tuning with just straight-piped stock exhaust.

Garrett

probably getting paid at work to post this from my POS phone[/QU

I have a complete 4r100 with convertor (minus input shaft) with 10k miles on it I'm looking to sell

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
It could be anything inside. The one thing that all the failures have in common is that the trans has to come out and be rebuilt or replaced.

That's what I figured but thought maybe I could get a rough idea to tell my friend. Guess I will just find a good trans shop locally for him to take the truck to.

Garrett

probably getting paid at work to post this from my POS phone

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The torque converter may have failed. Or a planetary gearset. Or a spline could have stripped. Or a shaft could have broke. I can't tell without a teardown.

Latest posts

Members online